The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I recently bought my 2012 Altima with 39k miles on it. I don't know if the previous owner had ever changed the cvt fluid , so I plan on doing it at 40k. After that, I'm not sure how long I should wait to change it again. Manual says every 30k miles, but I would rather do it earlier (maybe every 20k) if it doesn't hurt, just because I want to do everything to help the cvt last.

My question is, how often do you change your cvt fluid, and how many miles does your car have?

thanks

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Hi all, I recently bought my 2012 Altima with 39k miles on it. I don't know if the previous owner had ever changed the cvt fluid , so I plan on doing it at 40k. After that, I'm not sure how long I should wait to change it again. Manual says every 30k miles, but I would rather do it earlier (maybe every 20k) if it doesn't hurt, just because I want to do everything to help the cvt last.

My question is, how often do you change your cvt fluid, and how many miles does your car have?

thanks
It would not hurt anything...except your wallet...to change it every week, BUT, what makes you think that this is going to make the CVT last longer?

Is fluid the reason CVT's fail?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It would not hurt anything...except your wallet...to change it every week, BUT, what makes you think that this is going to make the CVT last longer?

Is fluid the reason CVT's fail?
because I have read the cvts normally fail due to overheating and changing the fluid helps with that

also in this thread on page 2 some people say it's better to change it more often. this is what got me thinking about this

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2007-2012-nissan-altima-discussion-2-5-3-5/326543-oldest-living-cvt-captivity-2.html

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
because I have read the cvts normally fail due to overheating and changing the fluid helps with that

also in this thread on page 2 some people say it's better to change it more often. this is what got me thinking about this

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/20...3-5/326543-oldest-living-cvt-captivity-2.html
Are you saying that only brand new CVT fluid has the ability to not overheat?

Nissan has designed the CVT to have a failsafe mode when it 'overheats' or gets hotter than they want it to get...what ever temperature that is.

"Some people say" is not very scientific is it? If you are concerned about overheating, why not install an auxiliary transmission cooler

·
Boland01
123 Posts
I've done a complete NS-2 change myself twice now. The car now has 124K miles on it with the original CVT. I also added a second oil cooler after the transmission went into safe mode twice. That was at 50K miles. It never did it since.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts