The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI All,
I just got my CVT flushed at the dealer at the 30k mile mark on my 2017 3.5sl Altima.
I had them show me the fluid as it came out of the car and its black. Had them give me a sample, it smelt burnt and had some crud at the bottom.

Does this indicate my transmission has been overheating and (possibly) slipping?

Does this indicate my transmission is at risk for failure in the near future?

Is there anything I can do to decrease the chances of a failure?

I have the powertrain warranty up to 60k, and will definitely get an extension if it makes it that far.

Edit: I do get the transmission whine occasionally and only recently I feel a slight vibration at low rpms (~1k-2k), but I may just be imagining things

Thanks all

Attachments

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The fluid colors almost look the same viewed in bulk like that, far better to simply sprinkle some on clean paper towel to tell the difference. I bet the black looked like that at 15K.

·
*Donating Member* Member
878 Posts
I did a drain and refill on my 2015 at 45,000 miles. I bought it used with 34,000 miles, so I have no idea if the transmission had been serviced prior, but I am guessing not. I was surprised though when I drained it. I was expecting completely black looking fluid to drain out, but it actually looked much better than I expected. Certainly darker coming out than the Nissan fluid I put back in, but still had a noticeable greenish tint to it. It certainly didn't look as dark as the old fluid pic you posted.

Reactions: Crator1349

·
2016 TEANA 3.5 SL
213 Posts
I do get the transmission whine occasionally and only recently I feel a slight vibration at low rpms (~1k-2k), but I may just be imagining things
So you get the whine, does it restrict you from reaching a certain RPM; Does it go into the Safemode?

I wonder if you asked those questions to the people who changed your fluids tho..

I'm nearing 30k my 2016 SL with the same 3.5 engine

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a drain and refill on my 2015 at 45,000 miles. I bought it used with 34,000 miles, so I have no idea if the transmission had been serviced prior, but I am guessing not. I was surprised though when I drained it. I was expecting completely black looking fluid to drain out, but it actually looked much better than I expected. Certainly darker coming out than the Nissan fluid I put back in, but still had a noticeable greenish tint to it. It certainly didn't look as dark as the old fluid pic you posted.
Thanks! Didn't know if that's how it naturally looks at 30k (hence the factory recommended CVT flush at ~30k)

The fluid colors almost look the same viewed in bulk like that, far better to simply sprinkle some on clean paper towel to tell the difference. I bet the black looked like that at 15K.
I did snag a sample and dipped a tissue, unfortunately didn't snap a pic of that

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you get the whine, does it restrict you from reaching a certain RPM; Does it go into the Safemode?

I wonder if you asked those questions to the people who changed your fluids tho..

I'm nearing 30k my 2016 SL with the same 3.5 engine
The whine seems superficial for now, doesn't seem to effect performance

Yeah, I got 'looks a little dark', which didn't instill confidence, but they dismissed any additional concerns.

I'm certainly interested in what others fluid looks like at the 30k mark

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did a fluid change on my 15 Altima with 61k miles. I also installed a Hayden transmission cooler in series with the radiator trans cooler. The Hayden unit was around $60 and another $15 for extra hose, clamps and fittings. I installed it in front of the Condenser just behind the grille. The Hayden unit I bought is thermostatically controlled, thus by passing the cooler until the trans fluid reaches 180 degrees. This way there is no "over-coolng" of the fluid during winter months. (I live in NY)
I've noticed a big improvement with the fluid change and installation of the cooler. Just went through a very hot summer here without a hiccup.
check out this video:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts