The Nissan Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the other day I checked my cvt fluid level (like I do with all my other fluids from time to time) and noticed it seemed kinda high on the dipstick. Nissan changed the fluid at 30k miles (car was bought with 50k on it). Would having the fluid this high a bad thing? I know the cvts are sensitive and what not. Heres a pic of the dipstick and the fluid location.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I doubt it. unlike oil, the transmission is practically filled with it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
the other day I checked my cvt fluid level (like I do with all my other fluids from time to time) and noticed it seemed kinda high on the dipstick. Nissan changed the fluid at 30k miles (car was bought with 50k on it). Would having the fluid this high a bad thing? I know the cvts are sensitive and what not. Heres a pic of the dipstick and the fluid location.
did you follow the proper procedures before checking the fluid?

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Altima/2008/ma.pdf
page 29 and 30

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
if the OP is still following this, I asked a mechanic this question today. told me it was in fact bad for the transmission. well, not the transmission, but it could blow out the seals.

·
Registered
474 Posts
First , follow the directions in the link posted above.

Transmission fluid temp is critical.

after the conditions that have been outlined have been met , then check the fluid level.

If it's over filled when cold its definitly overfilled when its hot as the fluid expands as transmission temp increases.

Over filling the trans in not good, if you find it overfilled take it back and get it adjusted to the correct level.

It might be cool to walk in with the page from the service manual that states the correct way to check it ...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya im still following this...well it was done at the nissan dealer at 30k and now im at 66k..I planned on changing the fluid here soon anyways so ill make sure its filled properly per the instructions in the link.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
as master tech said, it will expand when it heats up. if there isn't enough room in the transmission for it to expand, it will blow out the seals

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well the only room it has to expand is up the fill pipe..thats space right there lol but either way I plan on changing it soon and installing a big trans cooler since the oem ones are small and dont do anything. I think thats why alot of cvts fail is because they overheat alot. Cheap design needs improvement.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice you have a CVT dipstick - My 2013 does not have one

It's good that the 2007 Altima actually has a CVT dipstick you can use to check yourself.

I was very surprised after I bought my 2013 Altima 2.5 SL to learn that it (and now I know) many other newer cars do not have a dipstick in the filler tube. When I asked a Nissan service manager why no dipstick he said I do not need to check or replace the fluid, but that the dealer can check it for me. He actually said the fluid should last "for life". However the Service and Maintenance manual (page 13) states: "replace the fluid every 60,000 miles OR request the dealer to inspect the fluid deterioration data using a Consult. If the deterioration data is more than 210000, replace the CVT fluid."

The "Owners Manual" brushes off checking the CVT fluid and on page 8-13 states: "When checking or replacement of CVT fluid is required, we recommend your NISSAN dealer for servicing." The Owners Manual gives no idea as to WHEN that "May" be required. It should at least give a reference to the Service and Maintenance Manual, but it does not. Note that engine oil maintenance IS in the manual of course. No mention of a CVT fill tube with or without a dipstick is mentioned or shown anywhere in the Owners Manual.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Continue of above post

In my opinion It appears Nissan and other MFR's did not install a dipstick in order to help prevent owners from installing the wrong CVT fluid or overfilling. You absolutely MUST use the proper fluid. Note that later Nissan model's use different CVT fluid than previous models. You must refer to the owners manual for your car year to be sure the correct fluid is used.

I know that I will be having MY CVT fluid replaced at or before 60K (maybe at about 40/50K). It is expensive but still cheap CVT insurance in my opinion.

SIDE NOTE: My car was delivered new at 3 miles with the engine oil level halfway between the "fill" mark and the "full" mark (1/2 quart above the fill mark OR 1/2 quart below the full mark). I checked with car parked level and after engine was cool. --- So naturally I wanted to check the CVT fluid level myself. All other things checked out OK on delivery and after 9 months I am still very happy with the car -- just not happy with the poorly written Owners Manual. The Manual does not compare well with other car manuals I have had. Also not happy there is no CVT dipstick in the fill tube on the 2013.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats weird yours dont have one...I wonder how a refille would be done when its time to replace the fluid. Nissan is going in a weird direction. Ditching manual transmissions (Z only) and now going the direction of not letting the owner do maintenance to his or her car. Next thing you know..there going to hide/get rid of the oil dipstick...coolant fill...wiper and p/s fill lol...nissan is killing off there enthusiasts because they dont want u to shift your car or do your own maintenance anymore :lock:...bbuuuuttt you can have all that fun enthusiasts stuff if you pay for it by getting our z or going down the street to your infinity dealer$ :banana:....sorry just venting lol but ya theres has to be a way to fill it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
2013 Altima CVT Fluid Replacement / "Adjustment"

2013 Altima

The CVT fluid can be checked and filled by a Nissan Dealer of course. There is a CVT tube with a cap. There is just not a dipstick provided for the owner to use -- as I was TOLD by a Nissan Service Manager. As I don't want to void my warranty I have not broken the cap / seal to personally see. I believe there may be other manufactures using CVT's doing this also - but am not sure. I have the actual 2013 Altima Service Manual on a CD and part of the instructions follow. A Nissan service manger told me Nissan has the correct dipstick --- however no mention of the USE of a dipstick is made in the Service Manual. Use of a "CONSULT" (Computer hookup/software) is listed as required to maintain and check fluid temperature when starting adjustment be between 95 degrees and 113 degrees F.

Fluid is than "adjusted" to aprox 104 degrees F -- This is for a 2013 Altima.

Replacement fluid Service Manual page TM-82.

Adjustment fluid Service Manual page TM-83 / 84 Install a "Charging Pipe" into the "Overflow plug hole". Insert a ATF (CVTF) "Changer Hose" into the "Charging Pipe". Follow remaining instructions on pages TM-83 - 84.

Note that these instructions are confusing as according to Service Manual page TM-210 piece 3 the so-called "Charging Pipe" is ALREADY installed and there may or may not be a "CVT Fill Level Gauge (Piece 4) BUT - page TM-13 shows "Special Service Tool" -- "Charging Pipe Set" and it don't look like TM-210 piece 3.

The next time I am at the Nissan Dealer now that I have the Service Manual on a CD I now know more and how to ask them to explain the checking / filling of the CVT fluid.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
. Nissan is going in a weird direction. Ditching manual transmissions (Z only) a.

actually, it's only the altima and maxima that lost the manual. you can still get one in the versa, sentra, cube, etc.

as for filling it, I'd imagine it would be done the same way a manual transmission is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well I mean like for our cars and cars of performace...dont know why they cant just stick cvts in those other cars since those are meant for gas saving and just put 6 speed autos and 6 speed manuals in our cars. Thats what honda is doing. Cvts in there fuel savers and 6 speed auto and manual in there v6 accord...still not going back to honda :banana:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
well I mean like for our cars and cars of performace...dont know why they cant just stick cvts in those other cars since those are meant for gas saving and just put 6 speed autos and 6 speed manuals in our cars. Thats what honda is doing. Cvts in there fuel savers and 6 speed auto and manual in there v6 accord...still not going back to honda :banana:
Price. a standard transmission is a lot cheaper than a CVT and cheaper to maintain. in sub-compact, and compact markets price is more a factor than in the mid size and full size segment. the margins on those cars is also smaller, making every bit of savings important. mid size cars on the other hand are cash cows for manufacturers. they have a little more wiggle room with them. the fuel savings is actually negligible.

at least that's the best I can figure

1 - 16 of 16 Posts