The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2013 Altima used with 113K miles. It was in great shape! I ahve but about 6500 miles on it without issue. Last week it stalled at a stop light and then I noticed an intermittent slight hesitation as I was accelerating from a stop. About a week later...ugh

My wife was driving and it stalled at a stop and a second time a few seconds later when starting to make a turn
I drove the car that night and it again stalled at a stop light
Then stalled again at a stop in a parking light
Put the car in reverse and it stalled – this happened three times. On the fourth attempt I gave it more gas and it backed up, but did so bucking
Back in drive to head home, the engine seemed rougher
It stalled again at a stop light, but prior to the stall felt as if it was trying to accelerate with my foot on the brake.
I made it home and it backed up OK.
Once parked in the driveway, I put it in drive with foot on the brake and it stalled

Hoping someone can share if the above is indicative of a CVT issue or something else. It will need to go the dealer for diagnostics as we are no longer comfortable driving it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Not CVT. Tune the engine up, that requirement has not gone away but the new Trump logic world never goes there.

Your engine is dying because it is out of tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that is a relief. Odd that the what I am feeling is definitely unusual shifting vs a struggling engine, but I can do plugs and filters.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks, that is a relief. Odd that the what I am feeling is definitely unusual shifting vs a struggling engine, but I can do plugs and filters.
I don’t know what the previous guy (amc49) is talking about. Your symptoms are a dead giveaway of cvt failure. Not an “out of tune” engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2013 Altima used with 113K miles. It was in great shape! I ahve but about 6500 miles on it without issue. Last week it stalled at a stop light and then I noticed an intermittent slight hesitation as I was accelerating from a stop. About a week later...ugh

My wife was driving and it stalled at a stop and a second time a few seconds later when starting to make a turn
Put the car in reverse and it stalled – this happened three times. On the fourth attempt I gave it more gas and it backed up, but did so bucking
It stalled again at a stop light, but prior to the stall felt as if it was trying to accelerate with my foot on the brake.
Once parked in the driveway, I put it in drive with foot on the brake and it stalled

Hoping someone can share if the above is indicative of a CVT issue or something else. It will need to go the dealer for diagnostics as we are no longer comfortable driving it.

Thanks!
a

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is almost identical to what was happening to me. (2014 Altima. 65k.) I would accelerate from a stoplight and it would hesitate and buckle. Engine was running rough and it seemed light it was about to stall. I thought that it was bad gas at first. However it continued doing this and additionally i would hear a slight rumble at around 1800-2000 rpm. Just took it into the dealer yesterday. The pulled a Code P17f1. They are replacing my transmission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealer said it was the torque convertor, which being in the transmission required a new transmission. $4194, but they would do it for $3684. Also suggested a coolant flush, brake line bleed and spark plugs for $768 (way to make up the discount for the tranny). I thanked them and drove it over to a reputable transmission shop who said he could likely repair the torque convertor. Waiting for the results of his diagnostics.

I did stall about 8 times in a row trying to start from a stop enroute to transmission shop and didn't think I'd make it. I shift to neutral while stopped, then back to drive and a heavy foot on the gas to keep it from stalling. The car went from very minor issue to undrivable very quickly. Lighting a candle he can fix the torque convertor which would be about $1000.

I ordered four spark plugs, an air and cabin filter for $45 and will replace them when I get the car back. Brake lines will be bled when brakes are changed. I hate going to the dealer...any dealer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The dealer said it was the torque convertor, which being in the transmission required a new transmission. $4194, but they would do it for $3684. Also suggested a coolant flush, brake line bleed and spark plugs for $768 (way to make up the discount for the tranny). I thanked them and drove it over to a reputable transmission shop who said he could likely repair the torque convertor. Waiting for the results of his diagnostics.

I did stall about 8 times in a row trying to start from a stop enroute to transmission shop and didn't think I'd make it. I shift to neutral while stopped, then back to drive and a heavy foot on the gas to keep it from stalling. The car went from very minor issue to undrivable very quickly. Lighting a candle he can fix the torque convertor which would be about $1000.

I ordered four spark plugs, an air and cabin filter for $45 and will replace them when I get the car back. Brake lines will be bled when brakes are changed. I hate going to the dealer...any dealer.
Typical Renault. Once fix, sue nissan in small claims for your damages.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Thanks!
And with all the info online what in the world were u thinking buying a 2013 Altima in the first place?????????????????? Makes a lot of no sense.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And with all the info online what in the world were u thinking buying a 2013 Altima in the first place?????????????????? Makes a lot of no sense.
I know... My only excuse is that I was looking for a car for the kids (and the wife was insistent on navigation -- I couldn't talk her out of it -- use phone I said). I was all over the place car-wise and wanted to be done. This car appeared in a search and was in great condition. I was careless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Epilogue: I contacted Nissan corporate to see if they would do anything and surprise...they did! They are covering 60% of a new transmission and I'll get a loaner. Car being towed back to dealer as I write this. The car has 119K miles and, per the rep, they would cover less at 120K. Unhappy about the whole situation, but grateful Nissan stepped up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts