The Nissan Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I got a Nissan Altima 2.5L SV 2013, it’s 110K miles. Recently, CVT started showing some issues while driving, if you push the accelerator a little too hard, the RPM would jump up to 3-4 and keep going if you don’t release the accelerator and if you brake at some point like a light, when you try to accelerate, it will delay in its acceleration. When this happens at high speeds and I use cruise control, the RPM will remain above 2, the speed will gradually start to decrease, and there will be a noticeable drop in gas mileage.

Overall, there has been a significant drop in gas mileage where it’s supposed to be 38 MPG on the highway but it’s 31 according to the dash computer and also according to how many miles I can go without gas; it used to be able to get 600+ miles per tank but now I’m lucky if I can get above 540.

I had a mechanic check it out with a scan machine and he found the code P17F0 - CRNT - CVT JUDDER (T/M INSPECTION) and the associated bulletin says the transmission should be replaced by the dealer. I took it to the dealer and he said that it is over 100K miles so they won’t cover it.

My first question is did Nissan not extend warranty for the 2013 transmissions? I’ve seen some info here and there that some CVT warranties have been extended TO 120K miles but it doesn’t apply to the 2013? Have fewer people faced these issues?

My second question is if Nissan will not cover the transmission replacement, can this issue be diagnosed to a particular issue in the CVT and that be fixed? For example, I’ve seen different people online who have had issues say it was the belt or it was the stepper motor but I don’t know enough to say what it could be or if it could be something like a part needing replacement.

And a third question, how long after such a problem appears does the transmission have before it completely fails?

I drive over a hundred miles a day so I hope someone can shed some light on this issue and have some good news on anything that can be done. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Every Nissan is backed by a 36-month/36,000-mile limited vehicle coverage and a 5-year/60,000-mile limited powertrain coverage. 2003-2010 Vehicles equipped with a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) also have a 10-year /120,000 mile CVT limited warranty extension.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Every Nissan is backed by a 36-month/36,000-mile limited vehicle coverage and a 5-year/60,000-mile limited powertrain coverage. 2003-2010 Vehicles equipped with a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) also have a 10-year /120,000 mile CVT limited warranty extension.
Hi There - I just purchased a pre-owned 2012 Altima S and the description of the problem above is exactly what we experienced literally 24 hours after we bought it from a reputable Honda dealer (it drove for 50 minutes like that). Then, I drove it again a day later and it was fine.

I brought it to the dealership and asked them to check it. It wasn't duplicating the issue and so they said that it was fine. But I know it's not. Is there anything I can do? I pushed and pushed the dealer o find a solution for us, but they said that nothing is showing up and so they won't do anything - and won't take the car back.

Any ideas?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts