The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I owned a 2013 Altima from 2013 to 2016 and sold it with 60k miles after no issues at all. Loved the car, but needed something that could pull a travel trailer so I got a Ram 1500 and that's been a great truck as well.

My parents own a 2013 Altima that they bought new that now has 62k miles on it. They're trying to decide whether to hold onto it or trade it in for something newer. A big factor is the long-term reliability of the CVT. How are they holding up to 100k miles or more? My parents haven't had any issues with theirs except the radio will link and unlink to their phones randomly and they can't keep a call, but the drivetrain has been great.

If something does go wrong with the CVT, what are the average replacement costs running?

Registered
Nissan CVT reliability is just bad, period. Looking at the data from the Consumer Reports surveys as well as carcomplaints.com, it seems that the 2013 Altima is the worst year (so far) for Altimas that were not covered by the extended warranty that ended with the 2010 models. My advice would be for them to unload it as soon as they can.

I had a 2013 and now have a 2016 and was actually very happy overall. However, in recent months I just became aware of how bad the CVT reliability is. I have 45K on my 2016 and an extended warranty to 75K, but my plan is not to have the car out of warranty. I view the CVT as a ticking time bomb. It's a shame, I've owned Nissans exclusively since 1984, but all manuals before the 2013 Altima. I'll be moving on from Nissan, as they don't offer a lot of models with a manual transmission and despite having ~16 years experience with CVTs, including buying the manufacturer JATCO, obviously still can't get it right. I'm wondering if they'd do another widescale warranty extension since the CVTs continue to be unreliable.

Registered
Look at the history of Renault, who bought much of Nissan, it will tell you why things changed with Nissan around '00ish............the billionaire who owns it believes in lower quality (for more profit) to all of the unwashed masses. Longterm life of product went out the window there except with lip service.

Registered
Wow @ the 300K. I'm at a mere 63K on my 14' and did the tranny fluid @ 35k~ or so whenever that CVT reprogram happened. Probably do it again around 70-80K just for peace of mind because I'm going to try to hold onto the car long-term.

Registered
Is there anyone with 100k+ miles on the forum on their original transmission?
My wife and I bought a 2012 Sentra from a used lot when we were in a pinch. It had 90k when we bought it. Now it's at 120k and will continue to be there until I figure out what it needs. Once the fluids get warmed up, the car will not hold the "overdrive" ratio. As an example, we'll be around 2,000RPM at 55MPH while below operating temp, but a few miles later and the tach will slowly start climbing and progressively getting worse. The car also struggles to pull itself in reverse once the previous condition has occurred.

Registered
I wonder if the CVT issues are related to how hard the vehicle is driven, most especially with the 3.5L engine.

Our 2014 2.5L-SL currently has 91,000 miles. We are older people who drive conservatively, and we are the original owners.

Registered
In my opinion, Nissan/Jatco produced enough lemons to make gallons and gallons of lemonade. The 2013 had the most with each successive year having fewer. There haven't been many complaints of CVT failure for the 2017 and 2018 which tells me that Jatco finally got their manufacturing process dialed in. I am one of the lucky (few???) 2014 2.5L owners who didn't get one of Jatco's lemons. There have been many 2014 2.5L sedans that have made it to 200K miles on one CVT. There are a couple on cars.com right now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts