The Nissan Club banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my opinion, Nissan/Jatco produced enough lemons to make gallons and gallons of lemonade. The 2013 had the most with each successive year having fewer. There haven't been many complaints of CVT failure for the 2017 and 2018 which tells me that Jatco finally got their manufacturing process dialed in. I am one of the lucky (few???) 2014 2.5L owners who didn't get one of Jatco's lemons. There have been many 2014 2.5L sedans that have made it to 200K miles on one CVT. There are a couple on cars.com right now.
I doubt the original CVT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Look at the history of Renault, who bought much of Nissan, it will tell you why things changed with Nissan around '00ish............the billionaire who owns it believes in lower quality (for more profit) to all of the unwashed masses. Longterm life of product went out the window there except with lip service.
That explains why my 1999 Maxima lasted 15 yrs over 200k w no major probs. n all my other Nissans junk

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks for the replies
To enhance longevity, the CVT fluid should always be replaced every 30,000 mi. When the fluid stays in too long, the chemical properties of the fluid get compromised and it can no longer provide that cushion that's so needed between the steel belt and the cones. You can generally deduce that by looking at the fluid; if it's very dark brown and has a burnt odor, it's shot! I've seen them go a long way with religious fluid changes, but anybody who believes the advertising about "lifetime fluid" is doomed to a dead tranny around 100K, maybe less.

·
Registered
41 Posts
UGH guys you are scaring me away from another Altima .

We have a 2007 altima sl with 264K miles and have had a code popup once in the 70k miles we've owned it. (insurance company is stating it is a total due to body damage in a parking lot....grr)

WAS considering THIS generation Altima....but yikes...the stories.....did they iron out the issues in 2016?
Is the issue present with the Maximas too

·
Registered
495 Posts
UGH guys you are scaring me away from another Altima .

We have a 2007 altima sl with 264K miles and have had a code popup once in the 70k miles we've owned it. (insurance company is stating it is a total due to body damage in a parking lot....grr)

WAS considering THIS generation Altima....but yikes...the stories.....did they iron out the issues in 2016?
Is the issue present with the Maximas too
If your '07 is still running, this might just now be the right time for you to replace the CVT fluid since you've been hearing these stories.

To enhance longevity, the CVT fluid should always be replaced every 30,000 mi. When the fluid stays in too long, the chemical properties of the fluid get compromised and it can no longer provide that cushion that's so needed between the steel belt and the cones. You can generally deduce that by looking at the fluid; if it's very dark brown and has a burnt odor, it's shot!
Nissan made an engineering change to the 2013 and newer CVTs. They are lighter and supposedly more sturdy; they also introduced a "shift feel effect" using a software change to the TCM to mimic the older A/Ts.
The 4-cyl CVT's certainly won't take abuse like the 6-cyl versions. I'm pretty sure it's a matter of additional shear from smaller surface area, the 4-cyl versions seem to beat the fluid up much faster. However I've seen them go a long way with religious fluid changes, but anybody who believes the advertising about "lifetime fluid" is doomed to a dead tranny around 100K, maybe less. In contrast, the 6-cyls all seem to make 140~150K with the same neglect.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If your '07 is still running, this might just now be the right time for you to replace the CVT fluid since you've been hearing these stories.

To enhance longevity, the CVT fluid should always be replaced every 30,000 mi. When the fluid stays in too long, the chemical properties of the fluid get compromised and it can no longer provide that cushion that's so needed between the steel belt and the cones. You can generally deduce that by looking at the fluid; if it's very dark brown and has a burnt odor, it's shot!
Nissan made an engineering change to the 2013 and newer CVTs. They are lighter and supposedly more sturdy; they also introduced a "shift feel effect" using a software change to the TCM to mimic the older A/Ts.
The 4-cyl CVT's certainly won't take abuse like the 6-cyl versions. I'm pretty sure it's a matter of additional shear from smaller surface area, the 4-cyl versions seem to beat the fluid up much faster. However I've seen them go a long way with religious fluid changes, but anybody who believes the advertising about "lifetime fluid" is doomed to a dead tranny around 100K, maybe less. In contrast, the 6-cyls all seem to make 140~150K with the same neglect.
Interesting about the diff between the 4cyl and 6 cyl CVTs...so maybe a Maxima maybe a better option for us.

Sadly our altima has be surrendered to insurance company...but considering what they are giving us it might be a blessing

·
Registered
1 Posts

This saddens me and I hope I haven't made a mistake. We just purchased our first Nissan vehicles ever. My wife and I each just bought new 2021 Nissan Altimas. We loved the look, the ride, and the price. Beautiful cars. We both drive all hwy (108 miles round trip each day) to work 4 days a week. I will be sure to change the trans fluid every 30,000 miles and hope for the best. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I owned a 2013 Altima from 2013 to 2016 and sold it with 60k miles after no issues at all. Loved the car, but needed something that could pull a travel trailer so I got a Ram 1500 and that's been a great truck as well.

My parents own a 2013 Altima that they bought new that now has 62k miles on it. They're trying to decide whether to hold onto it or trade it in for something newer. A big factor is the long-term reliability of the CVT. How are they holding up to 100k miles or more? My parents haven't had any issues with theirs except the radio will link and unlink to their phones randomly and they can't keep a call, but the drivetrain has been great.

If something does go wrong with the CVT, what are the average replacement costs running?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wonder if the CVT issues are related to how hard the vehicle is driven, most especially with the 3.5L engine.

Our 2014 2.5L-SL currently has 91,000 miles. We are older people who drive conservatively, and we are the original owners.
I am gentle on my cars and my 2016 Altima had replacements at 32,000 and 111,000.

First was warranty 100%. Second was covered 60%.

Both repairs were $4k each.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I understand your point about dead tranny ay 100K (coincidentally that is the cut-off for warranties on almost every car.

Let’s say I entertain your approach. How much longer will Nissan’s 💩 transmissions work taking your advice? 110k? 150k? 200k? Driver lifetime?

Serious question.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
.............with an impossible answer. The fails are so hit or miss that the only thing somebody can say is that common fluid changes make things LIKELY better by a good chunk. Place no bets past that.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I am gentle on my cars and my 2016 Altima had replacements at 32,000 and 111,000.

First was warranty 100%. Second was covered 60%.

Both repairs were $4k each.
If you're constantly replacing the CVTs, then consider this - The fluid has two great enemies, excessively high temperature generally caused by running on mountain roads and/or carrying a heavy load and the other is shearing force generated by normal operation of the belt, which also increases on mountain roads or with a load. This gradually breaks down and shortens the long-chain molecules that cushion the belt. You can generally deduce that by looking at the fluid; if it's very dark brown and has a burnt odor, it's shot! Another fast CVT killer is an overfilled fluid pan; better to be slightly under-full.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there anyone with 100k+ miles on the forum on their original transmission?
2013 that i bought in 17 with 48k. Its at 163k now and I uber with it and drive pretty hard. Shifts just as it did when I bought it. But what I did then and still do is every oil change, mobil 1 synthetic with a mobil 1 filter every 10k is I drop the 4 quarts of cvt fluid in the pan and add new valvoline fluid. I know the trans holds 10 quarts so thats 40% every 10k. I also changed the paper filter at 75k and 150k. Everything with engine and trans is original besides plugs, serpentine and filters. Never have I worried about the 2.5, they run forever. I believe the cvt will burn up from bad fluid. That and I do drive it hard but I don't let it slip for long intervals. Heat kills fluid, and that kills cvts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WE ALL GOT PLAYED. WE TRUSTED NISSAN INSTEAD of taking 2 minutes to google the horrible transmission design. ITS A SAFETY HAZARD 1ST AND FOREMOST. I had a horrible experience with my 2 yr old on the highway. Car stalled with no signs whatsoever. No engine lights came on until the 3rd stall. It was so scary trying to make it off the highway I never want to see a NISSAN SYMBOL again. I had an inspection from Nissan 2 yrs prior and never warned about the CVT probs or extended warranty. I am under the 120k but 3 months over the date. I have kids and rather spend money on them than buy transmission prematurely. I have been a solely Nissan operator my entire life which makes it feel like betrayal. You made a mistake that put peoples lives at risk, caused thousands in damages, caused a ton of inconvenience and want us to pay??? YOU SHOULD BE SUED. Who is protecting the consumers. It makes me nervous to drive on the highway. Cars can just stall in front of you out of nowhere now???? The Highway Safety Adminstartion is doing what??? I WAS NEVER NOTIFIED THAT WAS HAPPENING AND COULD POTENTIAL HAPPEN TO ME. THAT IS YOUR JOB to protect the public.
Relax cars are not stalling left and right in front of you. I can name plenty of worse things that can happen. That said nissan should have never used the no maintenance gimmick to sell cars. But anyone with common sense knows better and changes that fluid often. 163k on mine and it shifts like new if it broke tomorrow I feel I got my moneys worth. How long do you expect them to run? Machines wear out, esp if you don't maintain them.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts