The Nissan Club banner

601 - 620 of 640 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there. New member here. I have been reading various threads on and off this forum quite a bit over my two years of ownership, 2014 Nissan Altima.

I've taken my vehicle in for transmission shuddering and vibration issues multiple times, each time the dealer has not been able to replicate. Just recently, I took it in again and expressed that I am nearing the 60k drive-train warranty expiration. Initially, the dealer could not replicate, so Nissan denied the claim.

However, the service manager was kind enough to drop the pan to inspect and they found metal flakes. All being said, after this discovery, Nissan approved the claim. Add me to the list of CVT replacements, just at around 57k miles.

·
Registered
89 Posts
After the visit to the dealership where they discovered the P17F1 tranny code, I had a week of off and on tranny slipping when going around curves and a mild to medium shudder. I took it back to the dealership and they did the tranny inspection after they were able to duplicate the shudder.

The chains were fine so they installed the new valve body.
The dealer actually was able to do the work while I waited. It took about 3.5 hours and they brought the car out to me.

My car seems more responsive and that annoying lag and jerk during acceleration is gone. The car accelerates smoother / quicker and I am actually having to apply less pressure to the accelerator pedal.

I am happy with what I am seeing so far.

I got the new firmware NTB15-014B back in November when I had the hard shudder. There was immediate improvement in the car after the update. Took the car in this month for an oil change and they found code P17F1. The service advisor asked me if I was experiencing shudder at this time and I told him no so he notated the receipt that they found the transmission code but nothing was done because because I did not report shudder. WTF! :surprise

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Jim. Great news. I'm so glad they did the valve replacement. Those defective valves must have cost Nissan millions.

I was on the hwy. the other day and the car just felt wonderfully smooth and quiet. Love it but was almost ready to get rid of it a year ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 Altima S with a 2.5 here. Just had a CVT failure at 77,000 miles requiring full replacement. Has anyone had any luck getting Nissan to help outside of warranty?

·
Registered
325 Posts
My CVT on a 2015 2.5 S was replaced at 85,000. My mom's bf who drives like a little old lady had his 2013 2.5 S CVT replaced at 92,000 miles. We both commute long distance 1hr each direction. We both had extended warranties. Also I had the dealer change my CVT fluid at 50,000miles and asked to see it. They brough me back while it was draining and I put my hand in it and rubbed it in my fingers, smelled it, then took a drop and put it on a white piece of paper. I found it to be still in excellent condition, it did not smell burnt, and it was still pinkish (not brown).

However I will need to buy another transmission at 170,000miles probably so I'm just counting on having to do so since I have 4 more years of payments left. Not worth the extra gas mileage over a regular geared transmission; but the car has been okay otherwise except for the lousy sound system but that's easy to replace if I cared enough to do so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2014 Altima S with a 2.5 here. Just had a CVT failure at 77,000 miles requiring full replacement. Has anyone had any luck getting Nissan to help outside of warranty?
Nope. My 2013 just crapped the bed around 90k, and I've been doing battle for over a week to no avail. Multiple calls and emails to Nissan Consumer Affairs, and also trying to get the dealership to help plead my case... nothing. Nissan still says no help... not even $1000 towards the $4000 repair.

I've started a new website to provide info and track cases of the CVT defect: Nissan CVT Fail: Tracking CVT Failures, Lawsuits, and more

Some of the highlights I've learned while putting this together the past week or so:

*The rate of powertrain complaints to the NHTSA about the 2013 Altima is staggering, at 4-8 times the rate for its main 2013 competitors (graph). The 2014 is only slightly better, and I can see it catching up to the 2013 as it ages.

*The 2007-2010 Altima had the CVT warranty extended to 120k miles (here's the original notice they've now deleted from their site), and the Nissan Consumer Affairs rep I talked to this week told me point blank that the extension was done because of widespread problems with those models. It's obvious that the 2013-14 Altima has an even more alarming failure rate, but they won't admit anything.

If I had to guess, the 5th Gen CVT problem may be so bad that they're terrified of admitting fault to any of us and setting a precedent for many thousands of other affected owners. That's speculation, but I'm starting to believe it more after the research I've done. I do know that the uproar over these CVTs isn't going away anytime soon -- it's probably about to get worse, as the average mileage of 2013-14s pushes up toward 100k.

Here's a petition with 450 signatures focused on the 2013-2014 CVTs... if that's not a bad sign, I don't know what is.

If you're reading this thread because you're looking into buying a 5th-gen Altima, JUST SAY NO! I'm an idiot, because I found this thread 3 years ago when I was car shopping and bought one anyway. Everything else about the Altima seemed great, and at the time, I figured the CVT issues probably weren't any more serious or widespread than the fringe problems that every car has. Now, the data is crystal clear: these CVTs fail under 100k miles at staggering rates, and Nissan has a hard-line policy not to help the customer at all as soon as it happens outside the 60k warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Isn't the extended warranty still on for the transmission? Give Nissan a call.
That was only for early 4th gen (2007-2010). The 5th gens are possibly even worse, but Nissan won't extend the warranty. They'd rather deny, fight off multiple lawsuits in all different states, and even settle some of them than admit fault.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just got my car back this evening from having the cvt replaced. I took it into my dealership on 7/25/18 2015 altima 2.5 with 51,566 due to hard shifting. After waiting around for about 4 1/2 hours my service adviser said the cvt was beginning to fail. The tech that worked on my altima stated in his notes " test drive vehicle verified concern, found judder at light acceleration, found code P17FO cvt inspection stored in TCM, found TSB NTB16-110I that applies, states to replace sub assembly. Followed TSB procedures, replaced sub assembly and valve body. Followed TSB to get correct thrust bearing thickness part #1XZ1A , followed TSB NTB15-1013D to properly flush cooler and lines, used CD provided to calibrate unit, erase learning valve, confirm CVTF deterioration, top off fluid at 104°F, perform forward clutch point learning, reprogrammed TCM, test drive vehicle ok, drives like known good vehicle, repair complete"

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just got my car back this evening from having the cvt replaced. I took it into my dealership on 7/25/18 2015 altima 2.5 with 51,566 due to hard shifting. After waiting around for about 4 1/2 hours my service adviser said the cvt was beginning to fail. The tech that worked on my altima stated in his notes " test drive vehicle verified concern, found judder at light acceleration, found code P17FO cvt inspection stored in TCM, found TSB NTB16-110I that applies, states to replace sub assembly. Followed TSB procedures, replaced sub assembly and valve body. Followed TSB to get correct thrust bearing thickness part #1XZ1A , followed TSB NTB15-1013D to properly flush cooler and lines, used CD provided to calibrate unit, erase learning valve, confirm CVTF deterioration, top off fluid at 104°F, perform forward clutch point learning, reprogrammed TCM, test drive vehicle ok, drives like known good vehicle, repair complete"
So how does it run?

·
Registered
6 Posts
How likely is the Transmission to fail before 100K?

Just picked up a mint 2013 Altima SV with 65K miles for a steal. Hope I made a good choice?

The car doesn't display any of the judder, hesitation, grinding or whining from the transmission that I see in this forum. I see the car had the ECU reprogrammed and transmission services at 39K, from the CarFax. How likely is the Transmission to fail before 100K? Is it 10%, 20% ... ? Are there any statistics available?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The transmissions are so hit and miss you really cannot say............other than possible high. Somebody just threw up a quote showing Nissan had a CVT failure rate of some 4-5 times higher than other OEMS with same trans type. The numbers of them that make it to 200K you can apparently count on one had. Not really, but close enough to it.

Driving style warps that greatly, they do not tolerate abuse well at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anyone tried and using Lucas CVT fluid? It's suppose to be superior on fluid thinning and superior cooling which is the main reason (fluid overheating) why our cvts go into safe mode.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well the newer models use ns-3 fluid so that's what you'd be comparing to, hate to be the guy that tries this and has a problem as it will void any warranty. not sure the cvt problems are necessarily fluid related.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well the newer models use ns-3 fluid so that's what you'd be comparing to, hate to be the guy that tries this and has a problem as it will void any warranty. not sure the cvt problems are necessarily fluid related.
:devil RE your sentence: "not sure the cvt problems are necessarily fluid related"

NO.... But the DEALERSHIP TECH will tell you it is! Stick with Nissan Fluid or you void the warranty PERIOD! They look for any and all reasons to tell you that you have voided the warranty!:frown

·
Registered
41 Posts
:devil RE your sentence: "not sure the cvt problems are necessarily fluid related"

NO.... But the DEALERSHIP TECH will tell you it is! Stick with Nissan Fluid or you void the warranty PERIOD! They look for any and all reasons to tell you that you have voided the warranty!:frown
Someone has mentioned that if you don't have nissan check your cvt fluid at 30k miles it voids the warranty. I read that on one of the youtube comments under instruction video how to do full flush, also listed in this forum.

Is that true if so 90% of our warranties are already voided. ???

·
Registered
241 Posts
When do I need to be Concerned about Trans Service?

Someone has mentioned that if you don't have nissan check your cvt fluid at 30k miles it voids the warranty. I read that on one of the youtube comments under instruction video how to do full flush, also listed in this forum.

Is that true if so 90% of our warranties are already voided. ???
:surprise I am not sure about that... My owners manual 2010 Service and Maintenance Guide, page 10 says to check the transmission fluid at 60K. But then most people never read the service booklets do they?

Here is the full content of that paragraph: "Transmission Fluid/Oil,Differential Oil, Transfer Case Oil. Visually inspect for signs of leakage at specified intervals. If towing a trailer, using a camper car-top carrier or driving on rough or muddy roads, replace the fluid/oil every 30,000 miles or 24 months (60,000 miles for Cube, Murano, Altima, Altima Coupe, Maxima, Rouge, Sentra, and Versa CVT fluid). Automatic transmission fluid for 370Z is maintenance free."

There is a second paragraph called: Electronically Controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (eCVT) Fluid (For HEV) ??
Not sure what this is about?
But the content states: "Inspect for leaks and fluid level with the filler plug removed at specified intervals. If towing a trailer, using a camper car-top carrier or driving on rough or muddy roads, replace the eCVT fluid every 30,000 miles or 24 months.

Not sure what a eCVT means in relation to my 2010 2.5S. Anyone know?

Scheduled Maintenance came in three varieties: Schedule 1, Schedule 2, and Premium Maintenance. Sched 1 is for repeated short trips, Sched 2 is for highway driving and Premium Maintenance is option where Nissan adds things (in this case Trans Fluid replacement) at 30K or 24 months. -- Otherwise Sched 1 and Sched 2 only check the fluid. Premium comes up again at 45K/60K/75K/90K/120K or 36/48/60/72/96 months where it calls for the fluid to be changed again? Otherwise it is just an inspect for leaks and levels?

I said all this just to point out that most people will hardly ever follow the scheduled maintenance for thier vehicles, they either are too lazy, too forgetful, too cheap, or just dont care to properly maintain the vehicle like the manufacturer recommends!
:frown:frown:frown

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had my tranny replaced at ~90,000 miles. Great engine, fun to drive, liked the body. **** the CVT and the horse it rode in on. No amount of fuel savings will make up for needing a $5000 to $6000 repair (estimate I was given) every 90,000 miles. Or even the stress of knowing that the percentage of failure is high and after receiving a rebuild the value of my car plummeted. I'm done being the guinea pig for fuel efficient novelty car parts. I'm getting 20-23MPG now with a Ram van pushing just under 300hp through a 6speed box. I cruise control my ass up and down the highway and there's no excuse for a transmission to need replaced under 100,000 miles when the car isn't yet 3 years old.

601 - 620 of 640 Posts