The Nissan Club banner

621 - 628 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
'...there's no excuse for a transmission to need replaced under 100,000 miles when the car isn't yet 3 years old.'

Amen that, what Carlos Ghosn will be forever remembered for. If he did any one thing it was to lower quality to a much shorter period of time in the knowledge he was pushing higher tech but shorter lived vehicles onto the less economically well-off of most of the world.

What removing essentials like trans dipsticks goes to if you dare to think it, shorter average car life to then sell you a new one. Meanwhile you add a high tech trans that nobody else can fix for lack of parts and info and make it so they get just out of warranty to explode, and then don't fix them other than by entire trans change only to get more maximum buck. You then have zero need to make crackerbox cars that sell so cheap ($1K profit or less on each one) the maker says he cannot make money on them if the CVT trans is so simple that you can make the same profit off the trans change alone since you have them so bottled up to not let the aftermarket do the usual price lowering they commonly do when they get involved. CVT as Nissan has applied the idea is nothing but a scam to funnel bigger profits to the company that replace those lesser overall profits from sub-compact car sales. A trap really, as you have already been caught by the time the issue shows up and the car is firmly yours and what to do next? That planning is downright cynical.

Like the manual quote from post #618 ......

'Automatic transmission fluid for 370Z is maintenance free.'

.......only the unlearned believe there is any such thing as a 'lifetime' ATX fluid. It's how you create more dealer shop throughput in a Trump world.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to hear that your having issues with your cvt. I had to have mine replaced @52xxx. Your best bet is to baby your Altima until you can get another car( stay away from any cars that have a cvt)
Thanks, I’ll do the best I can with my commute 😌 other than regular oil changes and transmission fluid changes (assuming it gets that far), anything else I should do with it to maintain it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
For anyone who has the P17F0 code or other transmission slip issues, have you tried using CVT Transmission Fix by Bar’s Leaks or something similar and see if that helps?

·
Registered
310 Posts
For anyone who has the P17F0 code or other transmission slip issues, have you tried using CVT Transmission Fix by Bar’s Leaks or something similar and see if that helps?
I think that's more of a bandaid than an actual fix just due to the overall complexity of the cvt. I think if you used any additives in your cvt fluid it would just kill you cvt altogether💁‍♂️

·
DisgruntledOwner Advocate
707 Posts
Nope. My 2013 just crapped the bed around 90k, and I've been doing battle for over a week to no avail. Multiple calls and emails to Nissan Consumer Affairs, and also trying to get the dealership to help plead my case... nothing. Nissan still says no help... not even $1000 towards the $4000 repair.

I've started a new website to provide info and track cases of the CVT defect: Nissan CVT Fail: Tracking CVT Failures, Lawsuits, and more

Some of the highlights I've learned while putting this together the past week or so:

*The rate of powertrain complaints to the NHTSA about the 2013 Altima is staggering, at 4-8 times the rate for its main 2013 competitors (graph). The 2014 is only slightly better, and I can see it catching up to the 2013 as it ages.

*The 2007-2010 Altima had the CVT warranty extended to 120k miles (here's the original notice they've now deleted from their site), and the Nissan Consumer Affairs rep I talked to this week told me point blank that the extension was done because of widespread problems with those models. It's obvious that the 2013-14 Altima has an even more alarming failure rate, but they won't admit anything.

If I had to guess, the 5th Gen CVT problem may be so bad that they're terrified of admitting fault to any of us and setting a precedent for many thousands of other affected owners. That's speculation, but I'm starting to believe it more after the research I've done. I do know that the uproar over these CVTs isn't going away anytime soon -- it's probably about to get worse, as the average mileage of 2013-14s pushes up toward 100k.

Here's a petition with 450 signatures focused on the 2013-2014 CVTs... if that's not a bad sign, I don't know what is.

If you're reading this thread because you're looking into buying a 5th-gen Altima, JUST SAY NO! I'm an idiot, because I found this thread 3 years ago when I was car shopping and bought one anyway. Everything else about the Altima seemed great, and at the time, I figured the CVT issues probably weren't any more serious or widespread than the fringe problems that every car has. Now, the data is crystal clear: these CVTs fail under 100k miles at staggering rates, and Nissan has a hard-line policy not to help the customer at all as soon as it happens outside the 60k warranty.
Visited the website link above, clicked the link to share my story, 404 error. Guess they should reference this forum. To the Nissan new car buyers, the lesson I learned is you can buy a 2yr old Benz for the same cost of a new Altima or Accord. Pushing 70k on my Mercedes C300 now and my only out of pocket costs have been gas, oil, filters, brake pads and front rotors...All DIY in my driveway as I can't (won't) pay MB dealer prices (quoted $1,600 for brakes/rotors).

621 - 628 of 628 Posts