The Nissan Club banner
641 - 660 of 684 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a '97 Maxima that after over 150,000 miles suddenly lost top gear. Had trans flushes every 30,000 miles. Turned out that the trans was low 1 pint of fluid. Made the add and all was well again. Never can tell what might cause an auto trans to act up. I'm new to the CVT but I bought a 100,000 mile extended warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2016 Altima SV's CVT failed just over 29k... It went to hell in one day. Initial issue was RPMs going up and down, staying up, but getting little power, then some on and off squealing as I was driving to the dealership... About a mile to go, check engine light comes on and it stalls out at a red light... start it back up and limp to the dealership. They told me it was "the belts and pulleys" and would need to redo the subassembly... ended up it sounds like the replaced the whole damn trans under powertrain warranty.

Got it used from this dealership shy of 3k miles and I had babied it the whole time... really puts a bad taste in my mouth and will not get another Nissan. I did get the notice in the mail about the extension from the class action suit to 84k, but hopefully I don't need to ever take advantage of that... my confidence in this car has gone out the window, though. Really blows how bad Nissan quality has become, especially since the Renault BS.

In Houston btw, so no snow, very little freezing weather, mostly very hot and humid climate.

Edit: I take it the master list is no longer being updated in this thread? (Sorry I'm new here:))

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just an update on things: Over 2 months later, I'm still waiting for my Altima to return. The dealer put 2 used transmissions in, and both failed. So, they decided to have a new tranny installed. Now, I wait to hear if that worked or not. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Final update! It came home! After 2 1/2 months, it has a brand new transmission. Drives nice & smooth now, with no annoying jerking or stalling. Now, we see what the next 3 years brings, since that's the length of the warranty.

·
I Brew. Do You?
29 Posts
Has anyone heard or had experience with the transmission problems being directly related to (caused by) a bad alternator? I read a few posts regarding that as a theory elsewhere.

I have a 2013, purchased in November of 2012, with about 97k on it. No Issues so far-- though we had to replace the AC compressor at about 45k :/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do the 6 cylinder Altima's use the same automatic transmission as the 4 cylinder Altima's ?

I've owned two different Altima's in the past, but older ones, without transmission problems.
might be interested in another.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Altima 2.5 bought new December 2013, now has 59k miles. Drove home from week vacation, absolutely no problems, pulling in garage to park after 7 hour road trip and car just suddenly shut down. Nissan is replacing with rebuilt transmission under warranty. Shaking my head at all this. Wanted to keep the car for a lot longer.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
New to forum posting about 2015 Altima S 4cyl failed CVT experience. Also have a 2013 Frontier with no problems at all. Altima is wife's car.

Fixed free by dealer at 78K. Started having problems about 5K earlier but got much worse in last few weeks. Slipping, slight burnt smell, several times no change when pushing gas pedal, sometimes high revs but no trans response. Some rumbling/vibration at highway speed. No limp mode. Most symptoms after warming up. Had received Nissan letter extending warranty to 84K. Have been taking both vehicles to same dealer and they have always been nice and fair. They found P17F0 code (which he said always calls for a repair) stored in TCM and said this service bulletin applies: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10119277-9999.pdf. Said Nissan requires several hoops to jump through before authorizing repair, including video, pan removal etc. Took 2 1/2 days to fix. Repair bill said R&I (remove and install, I assume) CVT transaxle assembly and R&I CVT sub assembly. Parts list included valve assembly kit, belt-pulley kit, cooler flush stuff, and lots of nuts, clips, pins, o-rings, gaskets and clamps. So they did the rebuild themselves reusing my case, not swapping in a whole new rebuilt one as he first said they might.

I asked how many failed CVTs they have had and he said a number of them but not that many Altimas. More Versa Sentra and Rogues. He also said there is no such thing as installing a new transmission, that everything is rebuilt, that they don't keep making new transmissions for older cars. This was to say I shouldn't feel slighted or cheated out of a new transmission.

I'm happy it was straight forward with no hesitation or hassle on their part, but not happy with the fact that I only got 78K out of a new car trans (I'm original owner). I had fluid changed at 36K. I asked if this means I'm still in the 84K extended warranty program and if this one fails within the 6K that remains they will fix it again but after that I'm on my own. He said no it's more because this repair comes with a 12 month / 12K warranty regardless. I felt a little better but not much. That's just 2 or 3 oil changes. I said if I now have the same trans I had when new, I could only get 78K more before it fails, but the warranty will be long over. He said well, yeah I guess so. He did say they installed upgraded parts, beefier and better, because the car is 5 years old and they are always improving stuff. I'm thinking about getting rid of it while it's running well. Other than this trans problem we really like the car. Even though it's paid for the blue book price is very bad, in my opinion. My '13 Frontier is 2 years older but over double the value. So getting rid of it will mean a lot more out of pocket for some other make. Have had a Camry and an Accord with zero problems.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I know about that one. All I'm trying to say is my dealer said the one I linked to is directly off my repair bill (not from me) and the dealer said that TSB is the one that applies as far as he is concerned and is the one that he is ruling is applicable. If you want to say my dealer made a mistake, that's fine. I'm reporting what happened so others might be able to get the same thing. I don't care (in a good sense) which one is right, all that matters is that he fixed my transmission for free according to the extended warranty. Whether he invokes my link or yours for his reason is moot to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had my 2013 Altima transmission replaced. 55,000 miles. The transmission finally "blew" bad enough to store trouble codes. Goodwill offered extended from Nissan ... 80/20. Have not gotten my car back yet. We shall see. I was an opt out from class action lawsuit. Still hoping for full restitution. We shall see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately, you can add me to the list for failed Altima transmissions, 134k miles averaging 32.4 MPG so I am not hot rodding my car, Sunday while cruising at highway speeds, the whole driveline began to shudder then ping, the shudder goes away and so does forward momentum. I am the original owner purchased 09/15. What are the options here? there is no way that this many failures happen and no recall

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
From what I’ve seen, the transmission likes to be driven harder. Failures seem to occur on cars that are babied and worked for best MPG. Drive it like you stole it and it’s problem free.... go figure. Specially the V6!

641 - 660 of 684 Posts