The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I know I did this for the 5th gens, and I swear we had a thread for the 4th gens as well, but i couldn't find it. Anyone who has had to get their CVT replaced, please post and comment on your experience. Let us know the year, trim, and mileage at the time of replacement.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,767 Posts
12 SR- 25K miles. Clunks, drones, vibrations but keeps on tickin. What happens when the tickin stops??

BOOM!

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,767 Posts
2008 2.5 SL

CVT replaced at 60K miles

Currently at 110K miles - no issues since replacement.

Looks like you are good for another 10K:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
2008 2.5 SL

CVT replaced at 60K miles

Currently at 110K miles - no issues since replacement.

Hey bud, how you knew it was the cvt ? Cause I have a 2008 with 133... And i think my cvt is getting ready to go.. Hope to hear back soon.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
98k here, no issues. Changed the CVT fluid once (drain and fill) and about to do it again before I give it to my brother and his GF. Still have 20k or just over a year on the warranty left. Not overly hard on it, can be on occasion but performing well.

Tyler

·
Registered
81 Posts
Recently sold my 2007 3.5 SE with just over 100K miles. No CVT issues and no other issues except normal wear items (tires, brake pads, belt, battery) and a couple of minor recalls. I was scared off by the 5th generation Altima problems so instead of staying with Nissan I went for the new turbocharged Honda Civic. It's not nearly as comfortable as the Altima but it's far more agile, quick enough for me (0-60 in 6.7) and gets 42 mpg on the highway with regular gas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Recently sold my 2007 3.5 SE with just over 100K miles. No CVT issues and no other issues except normal wear items (tires, brake pads, belt, battery) and a couple of minor recalls. I was scared off by the 5th generation Altima problems so instead of staying with Nissan I went for the new turbocharged Honda Civic. It's not nearly as comfortable as the Altima but it's far more agile, quick enough for me (0-60 in 6.7) and gets 42 mpg on the highway with regular gas.
I had a 5th gen 3.5 with no issues, I think the 2013 2.5s were the only ones really that had a few issues.

I was thinking of the new Civic turbo too, and may lease one at some point. But Honda's first attempts don't have a good track record anymore, so Id wait for that engine to be around a while before banking long term on it. Your also about half a second optimistic on the 60 time, they do low 7s. Which is still good for what it is, and gets nearly double the mileage of a 3.5.

OT, Ive had 6 cars with CVTs (one was a Suby) no issues with any of them. Yes some CVTs fail, but Id wager actual failure numbers are about the same as normal automatics. 90% of the "failures" are just people who think it should act, sound, and work like an automatic when it doesn't. Or the people you see blaming it for noises when it turns out to be something else like loud tires, or the clunk the ABS self check makes, or various other things.

My current 11 Altima 3.5 has had some other issues pop up with low miles (20k) though. AC compressor, rear timing cover gasket, and two engine mounts, would have been $1k-1.5k each repair if I didn't still have warranty (dealership costs anyway). Hopefully that is the extent of my issues.

·
Registered
81 Posts
. ...

I was thinking of the new Civic turbo too, and may lease one at some point. But Honda's first attempts don't have a good track record anymore, so Id wait for that engine to be around a while before banking long term on it. Your also about half a second optimistic on the 60 time, they do low 7s. Which is still good for what it is, and gets nearly double the mileage of a 3.5.

The 0-60 figure of 6.7 was the best time I've seen a journalist record and it came from Edmunds.com. Another mag achieved 6.8 but some typically slower testers like Motorweek only got 7.2. Motorweek recorded 7.3 seconds for the 2007 Altima V6 so it seems they are at least consistently slow in their tests. Regardless of the numbers it feels very quick and it will easily get up to speed on a highway merge.

I took a gamble on the first year redesign since I had been searching for 3 years for something that felt more nimble. The test drive put a big smile on my face so I purchased one and also bought an 8 year 96K mile extended warranty to hedge against first year glitches.

If you are seriously thinking of the Civic check out these two reviews. The first one is an overall review and the second one has a lot good behind the wheel footage of the car accelerating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFYevVhC5sg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz-bQwpdObQ

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,767 Posts
The 0-60 figure of 6.7 was the best time I've seen a journalist record and it came from Edmunds.com. Another mag achieved 6.8 but some typically slower testers like Motorweek only got 7.2. Motorweek recorded 7.3 seconds for the 2007 Altima V6 so it seems they are at least consistently slow in their tests. Regardless of the numbers it feels very quick and it will easily get up to speed on a highway merge.

[/url]
Motorweek got 5.9 to 60 on the 2002 SE:) Thats not slow

·
Registered
14 Posts

I took a gamble on the first year redesign since I had been searching for 3 years for something that felt more nimble. The test drive put a big smile on my face so I purchased one and also bought an 8 year 96K mile extended warranty to hedge against first year glitches.

If you are seriously thinking of the Civic check out these two reviews. The first one is an overall review and the second one has a lot good behind the wheel footage of the car accelerating.
I already drove an EX-T. Its not sub 7 seconds without something going on behind the scenes. That is V6 territory, and its still a Civic. They used to be 9 second range, so getting to low 7s is still quick for the car. 3.5l 4th gen Altima is six and a half range, and the Civic just isn't in that range. I read a lot of review and watched a ton of the car before driving it, and I was seeing all of them 7.1-7.4. Even motortrend got 7.2, and state that on a dyno the power and torque are under rated. After driving it, Id agree with those numbers.
Again for a Civic, that's great. SI territory in the standard (ok mid standard since its not the base engine) model.

·
Registered
299 Posts
98k here, no issues. Changed the CVT fluid once (drain and fill) and about to do it again before I give it to my brother and his GF. Still have 20k or just over a year on the warranty left. Not overly hard on it, can be on occasion but performing well.

Tyler
116,000 miles here on '07 SL. No problems anywhere. Changed CVT fluid at 95,000 miles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey bud, how you knew it was the cvt ? Cause I have a 2008 with 133... And i think my cvt is getting ready to go.. Hope to hear back soon.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could search for my posts to see what my exact symptoms were (seem to recall a grinding noise). Did my research here ............ took it to the local Nissan dealer, they replaced the CVT.

·
Registered
119 Posts
2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE with original engine/transmission and currently at 160k. Did do a transmission fluid change at 125k though, but only for peace of mind.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts