The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2013 Altima 3.5 SV
I drove it for approx 6 weeks before I felt the first shudder. I have only felt it a handful of times. However, I know it is a symptom of something that needs to be addressed.
The shudder happens at low speeds, and going up an incline. Highway driving it's fine. It is very responsive. When running smooth I love the CVT Tran.
The last automatic transmission I've owned was mid 80's, been a manual 5 speed owner ever since. I've never experienced a shudder like this.
So I do an online search, and find that I should have done some research before buying this car. This model and year have issues with the transmission.
Seems like a simple thing to do which helps some is to change the fluid. I took it to the dealer to do that. The shudder is still there.
Before I take it back to the dealer, I'm interested in trying a particular Transmission additive. Jilcat Proline CVT supplement. They claim it will help the Altima's shudder.
I've looked at other products with similar claims. This one states that the Altima will benefit from this product.
All that to ask..... does anyone have any experience with this supplement?
Or has anyone found another product that helps stop the shudder?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I drove it for approx 6 weeks before I felt the first shudder. I have only felt it a handful of times. However, I know it is a symptom of something that needs to be addressed.
The shudder happens at low speeds, and going up an incline. Highway driving it's fine. It is very responsive. When running smooth I love the CVT Tran.
The last automatic transmission I've owned was mid 80's, been a manual 5 speed owner ever since. I've never experienced a shudder like this.
So I do an online search, and find that I should have done some research before buying this car. This model and year have issues with the transmission.
Seems like a simple thing to do which helps some is to change the fluid. I took it to the dealer to do that. The shudder is still there.
Before I take it back to the dealer, I'm interested in trying a particular Transmission additive. Jilcat Proline CVT supplement. They claim it will help the Altima's shudder.
I've looked at other products with similar claims. This one states that the Altima will benefit from this product.
Let's be honest here....your CVT is destined for failure, the question is "when will it fail?"

Who knows if this miracle snake oil will help your CVT live another day.

I say to give it a try.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Altima 2.5 Base & 2001 Nissan R50 Pathfinder SE 3.5 4X4 MT
370 Posts
Hi Marbleyes ,I just wanted to let you know the CVT shudder you are feeling is normal according to Nissan. My best friend and I have been feeling this shudder since we bought our cars new. mine a 2015 and his a 2014. Altima's 2013-2018 owners all have this complaint. I would not recommend adding any additives to the CVT fluid , and you would only want to change the CVT fluid with OEM NS3 CVT fluid from Nissan every 30 thousand miles per Nissan.

Reactions: dmauk21752

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Typical Nissan incompetence. It is NOT normal for any CVT to shudder and I don't care who says the opposite. Shudder is temporary partial chainbelt slip or a gross ratio adjustment that should have been much smoother to be transparent, if somebody wants to call that normal go ahead, but they don't have a clue saying it. Nissan is obviously not good enough in their engineering department to pull it off long term.

The transmissions shudder because they are a messed up design like the Ford DSP6 trans which is just as messed up and Ford told drivers there the exact same thing, it was 'normal'. Then the court settled a class action suit that gave millions to people who had transmissions that worked 'normally'. Shudder being the worst problem overall.

When you get told crap like that they are grooming you to settle for junk as being good, one either picks up on that or they don't and life will have special meaning for the latter. They will send you a free T-shirt with the word sucker printed on the back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The shame is, Nissan had a great reputation for years. A friend has the 07 Altima, and put 320,000 km on it with no issues. I figured I was getting a good car, with low mileage.
That's my fault for not doing the research. I now see, I have a car that isn't going to give me the miles I wanted.
All that aside, do you know anyone that has actually used this (or similar) supplement? And what was the result?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I've worked on enough CVT and normal type standard automatics to know you pretty much will not find anything to do what you want there. I also sold thousands of gallons of those type products. They fix the drivers that are gullible long before they ever fix a car. They may help a little but if the CVT is on its' way out it probably will not be enough. The drivers will commonly tell you it helped but pull them off to the side and give $5 for the real answer and they will quietly tell you the additive did nothing in the long run. The product reps will typically reveal the same if you get close enough to be friends with them. I did both those things while in parts to try to get to the bottom of whether maintenance chemicals really fix things or not.

CVT life in Nissan cars is so hit or miss you are better off simply avoiding them as the few that make 300K miles just make most other people feel worse. The '13 models are known for being among the worst too.

Now, having said all that, CVT fluid has a friction component that if worn out will let the trans shudder more. If that additive was simply more of the same component who knows? It might help. Price of course comes into that. Your $. At some point somebody's something HAS to work just to fit in normal chaosian random numbers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019 Altima and it has a shudder as well at low speeds. All the research I've read is this is normal and one thing that drives some crazy. As long as you don't lay into the transmission like a race driver, keep the oil changed at the required intervals, you'll be fine. I wouldn't put any additive in that Nissan doesn't recommend because if it clogs things up, you could be having worse issues.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I have access to a '17 Alt and it never shudders ever. I don't expect that to last though. At 40K miles now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts