The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I can't type
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my alternator went out for the 2nd time in 2 months:angry2:. It has a warranty on it but it pisses me off. Just wanted to vent. Oh yeah it wa rebuilt up to 100 amps and still fried!
:angry4: :angry2: :angry4:

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
When i replaced my alternator they said that can't beef it up anymore that what it is, that there is not enough room?

·
I can't type
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A local shop here did mine (in Champaign). He beefed it up tp 100 amps, but it still died. The shop I took it to specializes in electrical components for fire engines and ambulances.

·
Registered
288 Posts
A yellow top and caps won't stop your alternator from dying. MAYBE they'll make it die more slowly but even that isn't very likely. You need to get a HO alternator if you're running enough power to kill your alternator.

Another thing is that when an alternator is rewound for a higher amperage, or you buy a cheap HO alternator, it will actually produce less Amperes at idle than your stock alt. So, if you sit at a lot of stoplights, drive throughs, or just in parking lots with your engine on...you'll kill it more easily. If you already have caps and a yellow top go ahead and put them in...but if not just save that money, and save some more until you can buy a good alt. Stinger, Ohio Generators, and [email protected] are the main ones I've heard for quality, reliable alts. I hear more about Dominick than anybody else, I think his prices may be better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts