The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Malfunctioning Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay about two weeks ago my alternator went, so I replaced. Now last night while driving back from wingdale new york, the alternator warning lights come on again! They were flashing while on the highway and as soon as I reached the bronx they became solid. About 5 minutes after that my radio died, followed by my headlights/taillights, then my indiglos started to fade. After all that drama, my car dies! I push the piece of shit about one block, then i get it started. I make it to willis and 137 then it dies as soon as i pull into a parking spot. I figure no big deal, I'll just call AAA...big mistake! They take damn near 2 and a half hours to send a tow truck. Then they charge me $196.47 to tow my car from the bronx to my house in freeport!! I AM NOT PLEASED!!

Anyway, does anybody know what the problem could be?? It's a new alternator, so I don't think that's the cause.

·
Malfunctioning Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kenshi said:
Sure it's new and not rebuilt? Should have a warranty in any case. Sorry for your bad luck.
Brand-spanking new, I believe it has a warranty. I don't think it will be honored though because I got it at a "discount". Personally, I think my car is cursed. The strangest shit happens to me in it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This may sound dumb, but did you check the battery? If the alternator is good, and your old one was good, they could have been trying to charge a battery that won't take a charge anymore. (if this makes sense). This happened to me once, had to replace the alternator at least 3 times before someone said "oh, your batteries been dead for a while, won't accept the charge from the alternator", so basically your alternator is working overtime to charge a dead battery! Hope this helps!

·
Malfunctioning Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
altimaluk said:
This may sound dumb, but did you check the battery? If the alternator is good, and your old one was good, they could have been trying to charge a battery that won't take a charge anymore. (if this makes sense). This happened to me once, had to replace the alternator at least 3 times before someone said "oh, your batteries been dead for a while, won't accept the charge from the alternator", so basically your alternator is working overtime to charge a dead battery! Hope this helps!
Doh!!(in homer simpson voice) I never thought of that. I replaced the battery back in december, but I'll check it out.

·
Malfunctioning Member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
amp??

Hey do any of you guys think my amp could the cause of all this? It's a small one, only 240watts max; with only one channel connected.

·
Banned
1 Posts
it could very possibly be the amp, head unit, indiglos, everything all coming together. I replaced my battery, then alternator, then alternator and battery again, because the first alternator I put in was bad, even though it was brand new. Try the alternator and check the battery out of the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts