The Nissan Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Who's Next?
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
damn headlight bulb!!!

is it me or do most altimas have problems with headlight bulb burning out, like 5 months ago i had a problem with only one of my headlight it would go off and i would have to jiggle it, or hit it for it to come back on again. so i took it to the dealership and this japanese mechanic told me the bulb was to strong, but he "fixed" it for now he said cause some weird metal stick or some thing that looks like a paper clip that holds the bulb socket with the rubbery part in the back is broken. so i paid 60 dollars for them to just put it back in and hope that it wont fall out. it lasted a pretty good while until now. And i did get the correct zise and voltage, they are xenox bulbs artic bright i think but anyways its happening again and to my other friend with a 97 alty, mine is 95, so now i have to risk driving with a faulty headlight just another reason to get pulled over, and the dealership said if it burns out again it cant be fixed and i would have to get a new headlight. is this dealership BS, or could that happen? what should i do guys? how much is a new headlight???:angry2:

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I haven't had a headlight ever burn out on me. My stock ones lasted for 6 years, and I switched them out for eurolite's, they weren't even burned out. So far my eurolite's have been in for 8 months no probs.

·
Auto Tech
4,415 Posts
this has happened to alot of ppl, including myself, i've only had one bulb burn out, aftermarket of course, then not too long ago, i burned out one of my harnesses, fried it completely....so i got another one, and shit it happened again, the harness started smokin, but i guess not too bad cuz the bulb was still workin..then for the longest damn time, every time i would start my car up at night only one of the headlights would come on, and i would have to pop the hood and jiggle the other one so it would come on, then i guess it just stayed put, and i haven't done it in awhile...

to solve ur problem u might have to bend those 3 prongs a little so the bulb fits tightly into the harness with a good connection, hope this helps, lata

·
15,423 Posts
i used to have this problem when I was running the 80/80 PIAA bulbs. It fried my harness. Are you sure you are running 60/55? That is the only problem I could think of.

Chris, I think mentioned that the cheaper bulbs even at stock wattage draw more current and that could be why they are burning your harness out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
same prob here

What is the cost of replacing this harness. The connector on one of my headlights has also melted. Is it a better idea to get one of the upgraded harnesses sold on ebay, or are those additions as opposed to replacement of my burnt out harness.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"darn headlight bulb!!!" or "what the [email protected]#$s wrong with my ABS!?"

I actually had the same problem start happening on my '95 SE a month ago (NOTE- both headlights are original stock bulbs), but saw related problems with my ABS too.

For some strange reason, a month after I had my starter motor replaced in Nov/Dec, my ABS dummy light started coming on intermittantly (I have a funny suspicion that the mechanics who did this caused my problems, but I can't figure out how).

I couldn't figure out what the problem was, but then a month ago my left headlight started to go out every once in awhile, yet still work on high beams. This went on for a couple of weeks, then it went out completely. I jiggled the back of the socket thinking it was loose, and it worked... for a few days.

Suddenly the jiggling didn't work any more and I could hear a definite brittle crunch coming from inside the rubber boot. I took the socket off and found that the socket was shot. It was melted around the right hand prong (open end facing me). BTW- if anyone knows anything more about where this wire leads from, i.e.- is it the ground wire?, please let me know.

I replaced the socket with a cheapie $2 socket from Kragen and it works now, sort of...

The beam from the headlight is noticeably dimmer than the right and the high beam indicator light is faintly lit when the headlights are on. What's interesting to note though is that I found out that the ABS problem only came up when I had the headlights turned on. I never noticed before, because I always had them on during the day for extra safety (since I drive in California, every little bit helps!).

What's interesting to note is that my ABS warning light no longer comes on anymore with the new wired socket. I haven't tested the ABS fully, but am going to check it out later this week.

I looked at the wiring diagrams in both the Haynes and Chilton books but found nothing connecting the ABS to the lights. In fact, it seems that the ABS system is completely missing from both sets of diagrams! If anyone wants to scan those pages from their Nissan manuals... my email is [email protected]!

At this point, I'm thinking my headlight problem could be caused by one of the following: the cheapie socket, the bulb is bad, or the wiring harness is completely bad to that one light. I took the easy route and replaced both bulbs, as a Nissan wiring socket would take a few days on order, and I certainly didn't want to rewire my harness!

I swapped out the bulbs this evening and found a bit of corrosion on the left bulb's right hand tine where it had melted the socket. What's funny is that the corrosion is not bad at all. However the right headlight bulb looked like it was beginning to go bad as well. No corrosion, but the plastic around the tines was cracked and partially missing. The new bulbs helped brighten the left light a little more, but it is definitely still dim.

At this point, I'm hoping that replacing the socket will fix the remaining brightness and dummy light problems. What I would like to know is why the stock bulbs/sockets went bad in the first place, and what the hell it has to do with my ABS!

I'm pretty shocked that a bad headlight wiring harness could affect my ABS. I would have hoped that the Nissan engineers would place critical systems like that on a separate circuit.

Has anyone else seen this problem or know anything about the way the Nissan ABS is connected to the electrical system? Also, how good is the wiring harness from Southwest Autoworks?

Greg

·
I sleep with my car
236 Posts
that partially happened to one of my harnesses..it was the middle contact, and the plastic behind it got melted.

it seemed like the reason it happened was the metal strip wasn't totally in contact with the bulb, so it caused it to arc and heat up.

what i did was bend the harness contact so it contacted the connection tighter.

i also put dielectric grease on all the contacts.

i've been checking the harnesses every week or so and havn't had any problems.

BTW i'm running 90/100w bulbs

·
Nissan God
14,424 Posts
burnt harnesses are due to using cheap bulbs invest in good quality bulbs, i've learned...im on my 4th harness...:D

running Nokyas now, not problems, just a burned out filament..lol

GET the upgrade harness, get new bulbs and u'll be fine!

·
Nissan God
14,424 Posts
powerneeded said:
how hard is it to install the upgraded harness from Alex? oh on a 2nd gen.
VERY easy, its only 3 wires, WARNING cut only 1 wire at one time....!! if u cut them all of at the same time..u'll get the factory wires mixed up cuz they're all black

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.