The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to grab a dash cam and wire it right into the fuse box. Problem is I no nothing about this stuff but have been told the Altima is super easy. Is the cable really easy to hide? How about wiring?

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
I didn't do anything fancy but I have a Kim Komando (not sure about the spelling) it's plug and play. Powered by a cig plug, I'm using the suction cup mount on the upper windshield right of the mirror with one camera pointing forward and one backwards. I've had it almost two years. Got one after a case of road rage. 2012 Altima.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
I can only tell you from the 2010 (generation before yours).

WARNING; Your camera is probably not a 12v camera. You will need a way to lower the voltage. Most adapters have this built in, but you want to make sure before you do something wrong.

1) Get an Add-a-Fuse of the correct type. Find correct spot for it (most likely "on when acc/on", like radio).
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/PCO-0957PT_ml.jpg
2) Connect your camera's power line to that fuse (see warning above)
3) Connect other line to ground screw
4) Fish lines as necessary to hide them.

I did it by keeping the cigar-plug on and connecting a new female end to the add-a-fuse (no need to worry about voltage). Because I had the camera mounted behind the mirror, I ran the wire up the mirror stalk, along the headliner and down the A-pillar to the fuse box. Removing the pillar cover was rather easy (check online for how, as your car may be different).

The only problem I had was that running the line to the box disconnected a drain hose from my moonroof and caused rainwater to flood the footwell. If you don't have a moonroof, no worries. If you do, just be careful or you'll have to spend a lot more time in awkward positions trying to fix it.

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts
I want to grab a dash cam and wire it right into the fuse box. Problem is I no nothing about this stuff but have been told the Altima is super easy. Is the cable really easy to hide? How about wiring?

Thanks
Our cars have that center speaker grille on the dash, that's the perfect part to modify to mount it. You can order an extra one from the dealer if you want to keep the one that came with your car, they should be less than $20.

If you have the non-Bose stereo there is no speaker under that thing so it's just a piece of plastic with plenty of room under it. Pry with a soft plastic tool from the front edge to pop it off. If you have the Bose center speaker just be careful not to damage it while you mod the grille.

If you don't like doing that kind of stuff a car stereo place can do this kind of work, those guys do that all day so they are good at modifications. Have them run the wire up there and install a panel mount DC connector in the grille so it's removable. They can also engineer the mount for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts