The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

8 days now that I am driving the Altima 1998 and this is the story

- Some vibrations when I break. I Went back to the Nissan dealer where I bought it and they install new front disks, pads, rear break pads and machined the drums at NO CHARGE! (it came with a 1-month warranty when I bought it)

- Got new spark plugs and oil change No Charge too

- gas mileage is around 25mpg (9L/100km) in rush hour traffic
- I enjoy the fast acceleration and power if this car!

- oh yeah! thanks to SexyGXE and soc_monki, I adjusted the idle speed by turning that idle screw, it runs now around 700rpm idle.

I now have a question concerning the engine sound:

when you open the hood and listen to the engine running at idle, if you listen carefully, it makes a steady clack-clack-clack sound, a bit similar to a diesel engine if you see what I mean

It does not seem to be anything loose or malfunctioning but I am just wondering because all my other gasoline cars before (Corolla, tercel, Golf, Camry) did not make that noise at all.

Can anyone confirm this please

thanks

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
If they won't remove it for you, or it will cost you something, you can do it yourself. Just search on how to do it.

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
you sure its a clack-clack-clack or a ticking kinda sound? the injectors on the altima are pretty loud, ive heard, and i can hear them audibly (or maybe its the valves, or something...but its around the valve cover) so that may be what youre hearing. just a though...

·
I AM LEGEND
10,874 Posts
chuck34gboro said:
that's your timing chain. take it back and tell them to remove the two upper chain guides.

He has a second gen.We dont usually have the chain guide problem.

The injectors on the altima are pretty loud.You get used to it.
I agree with _monki.

Enjoy your 98.

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
SLOW KA_ said:
He has a second gen.We dont usually have the chain guide problem.

The injectors on the altima are pretty loud.You get used to it.
I agree with _monki.

Enjoy your 98.
Actually I think they removed the upper timing chain guides in 2000 when they redesigned the engine. And yes the injectors on the altima are loud...it is a loud 4 cylinder at idle

·
Registered
282 Posts
hungt1999 said:
when you open the hood and listen to the engine running at idle, if you listen carefully, it makes a steady clack-clack-clack sound, a bit similar to a diesel engine if you see what I mean
I know what you mean, it sounds like a truck engine. I believe the KA24 has been used in older Nissan trucks too, but I could be wrong. I don't think there is a problem.

·
Registered
237 Posts
ahh, so thats what that ticking sound is... i have heard it before, but never knew what it was... and for some reason never got arround to asking here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts