The Nissan Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie here and have a quick question (I hope).

I have a 94 GXE 5sp that I brought into Canada from Florida. Before I can register the car here I need to install a daytime running lights kit. The dealer wants $250. for it (installed) but I know you can get aftermarket modules for well under $100. I guess my question is has anybody here ever added one of these and how ugly is the installation? I have no problem with the mechanical stuff but I'm a bit tentative about digging into the electrical.

Thanks for any feedback!
Brad

:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorta unrelated but, did they mind that the speedo was in mph first and kmh second? I'm dying to get reverse indiglo's but was wonder about its legality here in Canada.

Also if you do find a place to get a daytime light module I'd love to know, mine is crapping out on me, it turns my right headlight off every once in a while.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
how strict are they about the daytime running lights? you can find them online. However, I'd like to know if they require you to run the lowbeams @ 35watts, or is the stock 55 ok. If 55 is ok, just wire the lights w/a relay w/something that's on when the car's on...kinda like wiring your radio to come on w/the ignition.
lemme know if u need more ideas.
Jay

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for replies!

As for the spedometer, as long as Km is on there it's legal. FYI, Crappy Tire has an aftermarket DRL module for $30. I'm going to get a decent tear-down manual for the car and pick that up and see what happens. Worst case scenario, I'm out $30.

I hear Chiltons makes a pretty good manual for the Altima??

Thanks!
Brad

G

·
hey guys, i installed my daytime running light module back in the summer of 2000. i have not had any problems. go to www.autoaccessory.com or www.autoaccessories.com, sorry forgot the exact site. and look up parts for altimas. i have a 97 model. i have not had any problems. and it was cheap! got it for $20-25. local shop here installed it when my alarm was installed. i wanted the lights to come on when i used my autostart. at least, i could tell from a distance that my car is on. but i hate it because it's on whenever the car is turned on. sometimes you just wanna run dark or parking lights only! so, i'm thinking about taking the module out. also, it's hidden from view... no worries about ugly installation!

good luck guys.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm confused. How could your Canadian car not have daytime running lights already?

In 1991 I had a Mazda MX3 and it already had daytime running lights. As far as I can tell cars in BC had daytime running lights as early as 1991.

Jay (another Jay)

G

·
the man said he brought the car into canada from florida. and as far as i know, all of the first generation alty's do not have the daylight running light modules.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I'm not related to any of the Jim Morrison's out there. :)

And yes it is originally an American car so it does not have the DRL module installed. In fact, Nissan suggested it likely doesn't even have the wiring harness to accept their OEM module. In any case, I bought one from Cdn. Tire yesterday for $25. (less than the tax alone I would have paid to have the dealer install one) and installation seems a piece of cake! I'll report back once it's done ;-) (that is, once it stops raining/snowing and generally being down right ugly outside).

On another point, I've started a new thread on keyless entry and I'd love to have any/all suggestions.

Thanks guys,
Brad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.