The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How the devil do U run wire from cabin to the engine compartment?

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to run wire from the cabin into the engine compartment. Is there some sort of magical transdimensional vortex or something? Cuz I can't find any openings whatsoever to fish wire thru, and I am not really good enough to drill thru the firewall (and even if I was I wouldn't).

Can anyone tell me specifically how they got thru to the engine compartment? Or if there is a specific set of instructions already posted can someone point me to it? (I do have that pdf someone posted on how to wire DDE's as DRL's, but all it said was to run wire from the cabin to the engine compartment using wheel well, hood release, or drill - but it wasn't real specific how or where to run the lead.)

Any help will be mucho appreciated. -Ethan

·
Chinese Foooooooooooddd!
705 Posts
hey groggy, where you at! this is your specialty since you did the write up. for me, i didn't run a swith into my cabin, i just spliced it into my foglights.

·
shift_VM
331 Posts
the stereo gets power from the battery somehow... i personally don't know the details of where it runs in, but if u find that, it might work.

how are u looking for a whole, from the outside in, or from the inside out?

·
Honorary So Cal Member
16,046 Posts
Did you do a search on DDE's cause groggy23 did a write up on this install and it was very helpful. Or you could skip the whole running the wire into the cab and hook it up like I did. Which is I ran it to run off my lights. Every time they come on so do the DDE's. I like it like that. No wires to run into the cabin.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I already installed a toggle switch into my dash so I can turn them on or off seperate from the lights, and I went by groggy's instructions on how to wire them as DRL's (cuz I know I'd constantly be forgetting to turn them on or off otherwise).

The only thing I need to do is run the remote wire into the engine compartment. I've looked for a way from inside the cabin, and I've looked for a way from inside the engine compartment. I don't see anything. I'm thinking I might have to drill even if I don't want to. Hopefully somebody will tell me that's not necessary. :bawl:

·
Registered
21 Posts
following the hood release cable is the easiest way in my opinion - no drilling thru firewall required.

just remove front driver's side wheel and plastic wheel well liner. zip tie the wire to the cable from the engine compartment (remove airbox for better access) to the rubber grommet in the firewall. poke thru the firewall with a piece of a clothes hanger, etc. - it will come out in the cabin in the lower left of the driver's footwell (behind fuse box).

If you need more info - search the 2002-2005+ forum for "firewall". there are plenty of posts on this topic.

·
Hispanic Causin Panic
1,747 Posts
there is also a rubber grommet under the drivers side dash ...its where i run all my wiring through. but i agree with denver i would rather have them linked to my headlights so i dont have to run any other type of switch . "presto " they come on and off .

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FyrFytr said:
following the hood release cable is the easiest way in my opinion - no drilling thru firewall required.

just remove front driver's side wheel and plastic wheel well liner.

Dude I finally got a chance to take your advice last night and it worked PERFECTLY! So my DDE pre wiring is all done and I got my DDE's yesterday from Rob Lewis and now all that's left is to black out headlights and install DDe's on Saturday. Thanks A LOT for the tip cuz it was totally stressing me out. :bonk:

Also, thanks to all you other guys for your suggestions too. It's always nice to get a bunch of different viewpoints and ideas. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts