The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive taken my car in to the dealer at least 2 or 3 times complaining that the car is shaky at highway speeds. It doesnt happen all the time or any particular time. Turning left, right, slow, fast.... no matter what. I mean the steering wheel shakes noticably. I can feel a shuddering in the gas pedal as well. I actually feels like something in the suspension/steering is loose/ready to break off.

I dont drive the interstate too much now, but I just got back from a trip to KC and it happened quite a bit both ways.

On the bright side, I got 30mpg on the way down and around KC, I was at 393mi and the low fuel light hadnt even come on yet.

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
You might want to find another private owned shop.

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First time I took it to the dealer they said it was that the alignment was off. Fine, they did an alignment. Still happened. I took it in again they said it was that the rotors were warped. Okay, I put new rotors and pads on myself. Still happening. I changed brakes a little over a year ago, btw. Its really been happening since I bought the car in Jan '03. When I bought it, it had the 15" hubbies and crappy tires so I got the 16" rims (OEM) and better tires (Tauranzas off my old Maxima). Honestly I dont remember if this was happening before I got the rims because Ive had them so long. But if it were the rims, I figure it would shake all the time, not just some of the time and start and stop for no apparent reason. I just had the tires rotated too. But this never happens in normal city driving so... :dunno:

Ive got a extended warranty through my dealer so thats why I keep taking it there. Thats also the reason they may be saying everythings fine.

·
DRUNKEN WIKI TERRORIST
1,445 Posts
hmmm maybe we are lookin in the wrong place like maybe bushings or motor mounts......
frame could be tweaked from an accident or somethin
and still id check ur tie rods

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
If you have replaced everything, You need a BODY ALIGNMENT maybe?

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MADMIKE said:
frame could be tweaked from an accident or somethin
Thats kinda what Im afraid of. I ran CarFax on it before I bought it and no accidents showed up. Im just worried the frame is slightly bent or something like that. I hope all this shit is covered under my warranty.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If I was the dealer I would've told you that's an special option - "Son, do you know how much it costs to get the option of a massage chair in that car - And you have the nerve to complain about it!?"

=p

·
Registered
149 Posts
well i had several alignments done and my car still shakes alittle on the interstate. What you should do is take your rims off and put them back on. I just did that the other day and now it doesnt shake as much. I have on 18s with 35's so i feel every bump in the road. you could try hubcentric rings also

·
Registered
774 Posts
Depending on the alignment, tire/wheel combination you can get a twitchy feel on the highway. When I went +1 on my old car I got it. Some other guys I met that went +1 also experienced similar problems.

Did you get your wheels/tires rebalanced. The vibration will come and go depending on speed and surface. Also a tire could have slipped a belt or your wheel could be out of round. I wouldn't go to a dealer I'd find a dependable independant shop with a veteran mechanic (dealerships seem to have an over abundance of rookies).

I'd very very rarely look to warped rotors for vibration outside of braking. There are like 100 other more likely things such as bent wheels, balljoints, tie rods, bearings, suspension bushings, steering bushings. "Warped rotors" aren't really warped its uneven deposit distribution on the rotor. You'd have to have a chunk of pad stuck to your rotor or a chunk of rotor missing.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Have you popped out each spark plug and had a look at them? And what about the distributor cap?

I hosed down the engine bay of my '91 Camry, wetted the distributor, and experienced the same symptons as you.

·
<----Just say NO to Drugs
1,621 Posts
wheel balance
alignment
tire seperation
tire bulges
tire tread not wearing correctly
improper tire pressure
bent rim(s)

those are the first things you should expect

if you are actually hearing shit while driving, then
axles
tie rods
rotors
pads
struts
hub bearings
wheel bearings
strut mounts
calipers and rear drums (long shot)
entire braking system front and back (long shot)
and basically anything under the wheel well that connects to the hub.

·
Registered
17 Posts
what speed is the shaking occuring, if it is 65 to 70 its probably balance, since it is in the steering wheel have the front balanced. If you also feel it in the seat do the rear also. If not have someone the ntb or just tires or sears to check your front end parts for any bad steering or suspension parts.

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
If you have tried everything else, try a body alignment. I am not talking about a suspension lignment, but this type of alignment takes out all of the squeeks and rattles that occure over the years of riding on rough roads.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you took it to get an alighnment and the guys in there said they got the job done either they've done all they can do or they didn't finish the job. When a car is put on an alighnment machine it measures everything, so if the frame is bent they will know it because they won't be able to align it all the way. If you only got a wheel and tire balance then the car wouldn't have been tested that thoroughly.

I had an alignment problem because the front end was slightly bent. I took it to the body shop and got it fixed for $150. If it's the wheel(s) that's causing it you can get someone to spin them. I would go to Sam's Club because they've never charged me for simple service work.

·
Captain Obvious!
874 Posts
It could be something as simple as a broken belt in one of your tires. My in-laws had those types of symptoms in their '04 3.5 and found that they had a broken belt in their left rear tire.....just another suggestion!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts