The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that there are times when I push on the accelerator and there is a short delay before the car reacts. Is anyone else experiencing this or do I need to downshift?

Buzz

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are we talking about from a stop?

I do notice a split second hesitation when I hit the gas from a stop. But if I ease into the gas pedal there is nothing.

Once up to speed, I do think there may be a bit but I don't really notice it as much I guess.

With all the electronics in these cars I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a delay while the computer's process the info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, i've noticed the same thing too. Strange..

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
Lag

discussed this with Ratwayne........yes it feels almost like a turbo lag and then it comes on strong

·
Registered
34 Posts
i always notice the lag when i drive up our company's parking garage ... after i turn a corner, i get the lag just after stepping on the gas for a straight away.

·
Always something better
1,037 Posts
Your engine's use a lot of gas when you step on it, can you run a marathon and breath through one nostril, no same thing with the car give it the second to open up and get more fuel in their, same thing goes for when you step on it than hit the brake and the engine is still reving high, it has to burn off the fuel before is can slow down

·
Registered
34 Posts
but i've driven the same garage with a '95 maxima i had, and never had that problem ... i just figured it was the altima's "drive by wire" throttle response ...

·
Registered
45 Posts
"With all the electronics in these cars I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a delay while the computer's process the info."

With the processing speed of these computers you could never feel any processing delay. Maybe something in the software with the auto for smoother driving. My 5 speed is instant in pedel to feel it in the seat acceleration. A friend of mine(a mechanic) who hates anything imported is amazed at the 3.5 engine and the drive by wire system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
With the processing speed of these computers you could never feel any processing delay. Maybe something in the software with the auto for smoother driving. My 5 speed is instant in pedel to feel it in the seat acceleration. A friend of mine(a mechanic) who hates anything imported is amazed at the 3.5 engine and the drive by wire system.

How can anyone hate imported cars? They're only the best cars on earth. American cars only have a lifespan of about 30 days, and oh yeah, who can forget how ugly they are.

·
yeah ?
168 Posts
Yeah, I just got my altima yesterday, and that was one of the first things i noticed, maybe it's the lag from the supercharger that nissan says the altima has ?? (i know, there are no lagging for supercharger.. don't flame..).

·
Always something better
1,037 Posts
Each car has it's own personality, so maybe that is why, I like it when it kicks in

gagangsta

30 days:D I know what you mean but I say on average American cars are good for 60k to 80k when they are getting towards 100k their done, I guess a 3 year lease would not be bad but still their not worth it:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
"does your friend know the '02 altima is built in the USA?"

Really its assembled in the U.S. Many of the major parts come from Japan(engines,transmissions,ect). I do think its funny thats it more American than my wifes PT Cruiser(assembled in Mexico by a German Company).

Who cares my Altima is still a great car.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I agree...

hart said:
but i've driven the same garage with a '95 maxima i had, and never had that problem ... i just figured it was the altima's "drive by wire" throttle response ...
Yes, this was the consensus of forum members
when this topic was discussed a couple months ago!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Jet Lage or Turbo cut in?

Wild Willy(whom I have a lot of time 4) asked my opinion on this..

I said that I too had experienced this lage(leg). He suspected there should be more available air for intake. I think the computer is doing it`s job but the engine is starving for air.

There is a cheap way to correct this and I believe I have done it. As much as I would love to mod and have unlimited funds to purchase intake manifolds(that are still on the drawing tables) the person on a budget should purchase a K&N filter.

I don`t sell these but my son put one on his Integra over 2 years ago and he has noticed instant response in acceleration. Now his was a total installation with polished tube and cone filter.

Mine is just the filter itself and it has only been in 2 days but, out on the good roads I have experienced NO LAGE(LEG).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Buzz said:
I have noticed that there are times when I push on the accelerator and there is a short delay before the car reacts. Is anyone else experiencing this or do I need to downshift?

Buzz
For us with automatics, the biggest delay is when Traction Control kicks in. It is attempting to stop wheel spin. Just turn it off.

·
My little champion...
2,388 Posts
I wanted to revive this thread - because I know over @ maxima.org they have MULTIPLE ongoing threads concerning this problem...

I drive a 5SPD and it is REALLY ANNOYING in heavy traffic. Its already a PITA driving stick in traffic - but to have the car jerk unless I feather the clutch and ease into it is a real pain. It doesn't happen on other manual cars I drive. I can floor them hard and its just smooth acceleration. I haven't peeled out from a traffic light lately, but just applying a decent amount of pedal effort the car sometimes hiccups.

Someone with a Spec V which also has drive by wire mentioned that they do not suffer from this problem. Acceleration should be smooth and not jerky - its like the car hiccups and then breathes again...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.