The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. Got an issue on the Alti that I haven't been able to diagnose. I left her for two weeks to do some work on her (new fuel filter, O2 sensors, EGR modification, minor stuff). I start her up after two weeks of very little engine running, and I get the "check voltage" light and the "brake" light. My radio station presets had also been wiped out.

I had the battery and the alternator tested. Both show fine. In fact the alternator is putting out more Amps than it needs (14.4 instead of 12). The starter is fine. In fact, I haven't had a problem getting her to start and running, she's fine.

I'm running a 350 watt amp off the battery with a fuseable link, so I don't think that's causing an issue. Any other ideas????

The only other issue she's had is she's been running rich for a month or so.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Umm I think I clarified already that it's not the alternator. LOL In fact if it was, I wouldn't be gaining Amps by running the car.

Does anyone want to make an educated guess??

·
8,112 Posts
Listen to me. I had the same problem. My car did exactly what your car is doing. Giving a lot more amps, Battery light and brake light.

Its your alternator or somthing related to your alternator. Everytime I respond with the right answer you think im wrong. Educated huh? I think I know more about cars then you (and taste). Use the search button next time. Its been covered plenty of times.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I replaced the alternator, and when it was giving me trouble it did not have the same symptoms. So I'm gonna have to have a little bit more to go on than your gut instinct.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
there are many different types of alternator malfunctions and have different symptoms but i will agree, it IS the alternator.

trust me too. i even have a used alternaternator i'll install for you just to prove it.

·
SHIFT_Wounded
1,684 Posts
yup, my alternator did the same thing, it will get worse on you, trust me(and everyone else) next thing u no, ur car will start stallin on u then ur ridin passenger w/ the tow truck guy

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah well, we'll see if the problem continues because right now, the warning lights are gone (have been for two consecutive days) and the radio issue only presented once in that time. I sent an e-mail to the guy I bought the alternator from. I still have six months on the warranty. The only problem now would be getting to work while I ship it back.

But I'm really gonna need some kind of proof that that's what's causing the problem before I pay freight to send it back. If it was tested and showed fine, then how do I show Jeff (the alternator guy) I'm having a problem with mine???

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
sugar, honey, sweetheart, you don't have to listen to me or these guys but what's happening to your alternator is the final sign that it's going kaput! it has to do with the windings and how they are connected integral to the alternator for correct voltage output, if the windings are not connected *properly* then voltage output potentially increases which is bad for a 12volt battery.

the brake light and check engine light thing is due to a bad connector input harness which is coming loose as you drive, hit bumps and such. you'll need to replace this harness pronto.

i think the average alternator replacement for us 1st and 2nd gen'ers is three, i'm on my third one!

now tell me, would i lie to you :D ?

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
honestly, why waste your time black, tphelps...

the git doesnt know the difference between voltage and amps, disses help with that nice quip (if you can call it that) and demands proof?

get farked. take your car to a mechanic, because you dont belong anywhere near its maintainence... you obviously have no clue what you're on about... modifications? dear god. poor f'king alty.

·
The Don.
6,151 Posts
the brake light and check engine light thing is due to a bad connector input harness which is coming loose as you drive, hit bumps and such. you'll need to replace this harness pronto.
Actually this person meant the battery charge light and brake light with the following statement "...and I get the "check voltage" light and the "brake" light...".

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope, I had to take the alternator out before when we were looking for some extra room in the engine bay. EGR modification, we had to relocate the bracket that holds it in place. It was in my way and the relocation was a much easier fix. We welded a new bracket into place. Didn't mean that I modified it's functionality, but just letting you guys know what was done to her right before I got the warning lights so we could rule out some things that might have been tampered with.

Mika is driving fine. The last time the alternator went out, I did get the "radio station" loss of memory but that was four whole months before the alternator actually gave out on me. I'm not really worried about driving her for the time being. That plus it will be Saturday before I can pick up my other car, so it's not like I have a choice anyway. ( I can't get the Chrysler or the Cobra here before the weekend).

Fred, it's not that I don't believe them, it's just that the symptoms don't match what I previously experienced with alternator failure and they shout out an answer without doing what I asked and "diagnosing the problem." A doctor doesn't look at you and say "you have cancer." He runs tests. That's the kind of thing I was looking for. If she does this, then it's probably this, kind of thing.

As previously stated, I have already e-mailed Jeff about the alternator. I'm awaiting a return authorization so I can get a replacement that's already powdercoated on it's way to me.

I guess I was really hoping it was the battery this time because I've been looking for an excuse to replace it. No problem. I spent that money on gauges instead. LOL

Fred, thanks for the explanation. I'll let you know what Jeff says.

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
jserrano said:
Actually this person meant the battery charge light and brake light with the following statement "...and I get the "check voltage" light and the "brake" light...".
thanks for clarification ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts