The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put new brake pads on my 2012 Altima. First time doing this on any vehicle. I did not loosen the brake reservoir cap. No problem compressing the caliper pistons. When I pumped the brakes after replacing the pads I heard a "squishing" sound from what sounded like under the hood. Noticed a small pool of brake fluid underneath in the center of the car. Took it for a test ride and everything seems good. Parked it and have not seen any new evidence of fluid. Am I correct in assuming that fluid backed up and out the reservoir cap when I pumped the brakes? I there any chance I screwed up any part of the brake system like a seal or something?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
When you compressed the pistons you squeezed the fluid out. Pumping, if anything was sucking air back into the fluid reservoir.

The only thing you might have done is soften a bunch of body paint wherever that fluid may have splashed.

I know I will have the same issue soon when I replace mine, as I had to top up my master cylinder due to pad wear back in the fall. So I will siphon out the half bottle's worth or so that I added after the the first front caliper is compressed and the fluid is at max level. You do need to be careful not to let it get so low that air gets into the master cylinder though...so be smart.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Put new brake pads on my 2012 Altima. First time doing this on any vehicle. I did not loosen the brake reservoir cap. No problem compressing the caliper pistons. When I pumped the brakes after replacing the pads I heard a "squishing" sound from what sounded like under the hood. Noticed a small pool of brake fluid underneath in the center of the car. Took it for a test ride and everything seems good. Parked it and have not seen any new evidence of fluid. Am I correct in assuming that fluid backed up and out the reservoir cap when I pumped the brakes? I there any chance I screwed up any part of the brake system like a seal or something?
No, you're OK but look at the fluid level in the reservoir; if it's way over the MAX mark, siphon some fluid out until it comes down to the MAX mark otherwise everytime you operate the brakes, fluid will come outside of the reservoir and make a mess. When replacing brake pads, always keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir as you push in the pistons in the calipers because the level will rise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, you're OK...
Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear. Wasn't sure if I might have blown out a seal or something. The level was probably high to begin with since I bought it from a dealership just a few months ago and they most likely topped off everything before putting it on the lot. Now I know for next time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ended up screwing up a small portion of my body paint and headlights due to accidentally spilling break fluid and driving on the freeway. Anyone have an idea of what I can do to fix that?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Brake fluid is evil. You'll need to strip the paint down to bare metal and start over to be sure it doesn't bubble in the future. If your acrylic lense is damaged, you can try a light sand to see how deep it is, and then clean it up with one of those headlight restoration kits (more sanding and polishing)...or find a new/used set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts