The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
2fast2furiousinNH
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys:

:) Not sure about your impression of the stock Suspension, but I always felt my 2004 V6 Altima was too soft at high speed. Steering was vauge, slushy over seventy mph. I wanted more of a sports car feel, less family sedan. It has been very interesting to watch other members who felt the same way, make different choices. We don't hear to much from other members about the Nismo coilovers, so I thought I would not follow the crowd and give them a try.

I also wanted to lower the car a little for a more agressive look, but not too much considering we have serious frost heaves this time of year hear in New Hampshire. I felt my car would bottom out with sportlines, or sprints, even through I love the look. If I lived in Florida, or AZ, then I would have made a different choice.

My search is now over. Installed the Nismo F&R coilovers with Nismo sway bars on Friday night.

The positives:
Wow, the car is now really tight. It has more steering feel than the 350Z I test drove a week ago. It actually provides great feedback as I was accellerating through a corner at over 75-95mph on my way to work this AM. Running late.

The Nismo suspension does a great job of keeping the car hugged and planted to the road. No more body lean in corners between 15-80 MPH! I noticed the car pulls straight and true out of a turn now, with a really tight, balenced feel. My drivers seat used to lean into the corners, now I hardly feel the lean. Very cool!

Negatives:Yes, I feel the bumps more, and it is somewhat harsher than before. But I wanted more of a sports car feel, good by family sedan. I paid $575 plus shipping for the Nismo coilovers, and $275 for the sway bars.

I gave up the adjustability of Koni/KYB but due to the low cost and feel of the Nismo coilovers it was not a bad decision. My Nissan Warranty is intact, and the dealer will stand behind my car. Also, I've purchased a suspension kit designed by Nissan for the Altima V6.

So anyone out there who wants to improve steering feel and response at high speed, give Nismo stuff a look. Nissan provides a great alternative.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yup thier coilover just not adjustible thats what i wanted to do but i dont have a 3.5 so i couldnt get any of those.

·
2fast2furiousinNH
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jawnrock215 said:
yeah, wait a minute.....whered you get these for that price?
Yes. Nismo Coilovers. There NOT adjustable.

I purchased them new, uninstalled, from another member. Saved a few $$$

You can also go to MyNismo.com for them. I was able to negotiate a price of $720 by speaking to the parts person. I did buy the Nismo Sway bars from them.

Cheers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm pretty certain they aren't genuine coilovers, just a shock/strut and spring setup. Coilovers typically have a spring perch that will let you adjust the ride height of the car, and I'm pretty sure that is something these don't have.

Dan

·
2fast2furiousinNH
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
2fast2furiousinNH
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Rub my fender
1,439 Posts
I bought the same thing, but I feel like I got ripped off. I paid 450 for the fronts and the same for the rear. They should be here sometime this week.

·
2fast2furiousinNH
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Foglght said:
I bought the same thing, but I feel like I got ripped off. I paid 450 for the fronts and the same for the rear. They should be here sometime this week.

$450 for fronts is too much. You should pay no more then $360 for Fronts or backs.

My Nismo.com will honor that pricing.

I purchased all four Nismo coilovers from another member who had a 2.5L and decided not to install them. I saved some $$$.

Maybe you can find someone else who wants to sell their Nismo suspension too.

Good luck.

·
2fast2furiousinNH
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lowriderman3 said:
I know this might of been touched on before, but what if you put the Nismo springs on the Active Tuning setup? Would that be to stiff?

Yeah, you probably could do that, but the cost would be prohibitive, and doubt you would have a balenced system.

·
2fast2furiousinNH
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
manibal said:
Hi Guys:

:) Not sure about your impression of the stock Suspension, but I always felt my 2004 V6 Altima was too soft at high speed. Steering was vauge, slushy over seventy mph. I wanted more of a sports car feel, less family sedan. It has been very interesting to watch other members who felt the same way, make different choices. We don't hear to much from other members about the Nismo coilovers, so I thought I would not follow the crowd and give them a try.

I also wanted to lower the car a little for a more agressive look, but not too much considering we have serious frost heaves this time of year hear in New Hampshire. I felt my car would bottom out with sportlines, or sprints, even through I love the look. If I lived in Florida, or AZ, then I would have made a different choice.

My search is now over. Installed the Nismo F&R coilovers with Nismo sway bars on Friday night.

The positives:
Wow, the car is now really tight. It has more steering feel than the 350Z I test drove a week ago. It actually provides great feedback as I was accellerating through a corner at over 75-95mph on my way to work this AM. Running late.

The Nismo suspension does a great job of keeping the car hugged and planted to the road. No more body lean in corners between 15-80 MPH! I noticed the car pulls straight and true out of a turn now, with a really tight, balenced feel. My drivers seat used to lean into the corners, now I hardly feel the lean. Very cool!

Negatives:Yes, I feel the bumps more, and it is somewhat harsher than before. But I wanted more of a sports car feel, good by family sedan. I paid $575 plus shipping for the Nismo coilovers, and $275 for the sway bars.

I gave up the adjustability of Koni/KYB but due to the low cost and feel of the Nismo coilovers it was not a bad decision. My Nissan Warranty is intact, and the dealer will stand behind my car. Also, I've purchased a suspension kit designed by Nissan for the Altima V6.

So anyone out there who wants to improve steering feel and response at high speed, give Nismo stuff a look. Nissan provides a great alternative.
Man, I'm loving the new Nismo Suspension and sway bars. Nissan said the back end will come around with a little throttle oversteer in the corners. They were right.

Took a 90 degree left turn this afternoon at 35-40mpg. The back end did not lean, followed the front-end of the car while accellerating going side ways through the turn. Quickly, let off the throttle, car straightened out, hit the gas again, on my way down the road. Wow, what a huge difference. I would have never tried that with the stock suspension.

Man, this was a great investment, and really opened up the true potential of the Altima sedan.

I rank this upgrade up there with the other mods I did Light weight flywheel, exhaust and intake. Its nice now having both power, and cornering ability on tap

Cheers.

·
Chinese Foooooooooooddd!
705 Posts
.9 in front and .4 in back isn't that much. could i put sportlines on the strut instead of using the spring that they give you? i have sportlines and don't feel like going up in ride height.

·
Rub my fender
1,439 Posts
i ordered them from curtosey nissan. Actually I just got a confrimation on the shipping. They should be here friday. I'll put them in this weekend. Hopefully i'll have enough time to go to the alignment shop before monday.

·
2fast2furiousinNH
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Foglght said:
i ordered them from curtosey nissan. Actually I just got a confrimation on the shipping. They should be here friday. I'll put them in this weekend. Hopefully i'll have enough time to go to the alignment shop before monday.
My dealer recommended waiting a few months for the alignment, when I put the summer tires on.

Post you impression up after the install. Like to hear how you like them.

·
2fast2furiousinNH
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
asianbrotha84 said:
.9 in front and .4 in back isn't that much. could i put sportlines on the strut instead of using the spring that they give you? i have sportlines and don't feel like going up in ride height.
You could, but why spend the extra money. When not just go to Active tuning for the Koni/KYB adjustable setup. Save yourself the cost of the unused Nismo springs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts