The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Straight Flight Attendant
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know will get flamed by people who are unwilling to consider this, but here it is. Has anyone thought about doing a TDI swap into a first gen (or 2nd i suppose). Here's my thought process, gas prices are going up, i'm board and looking for things to improve mileage. I was considering this on my road trip to WA. I drive on avg 22k miles per year, figureing gasoline (87oct) and diesel to be the same price ($1.75, diesel on avg is lower however because it requires less refining), and figuring w/ the KA24DE an avg MPG=28 and theoretically w/ a TDI at 50, I would save about $600 per year on fuel. There are other benifits besides milage differences, the range of a fill up would also be dramatically increased, and increase milage between oil changes (?). Before I start measuring engine bays and engines/trannies, I was wondering if anyone else has done any leg work on this. Thanks. ~Kevin

·
DIY'er
6,658 Posts
you would save roughly 600 you say?
well lets see the total costs of you getting a tdi
and swaping it into the car...
hm...
roughly 4-6 grand, not including major ecu issues, and you'll have to completely redo the harness..... i mean custom exhaust system, custom motor mounts, transmission fitting... and so on and so forth...

if you were to save 600 a year, it would take you 10 years to pay off the price of the conversion, not to mention the extra money for gas on top of that price...

in all honesty... thats a dumb idea.. i wouldnt' do it unless the existing chasis can handle the TDI, hence i suggest you go purchase a vdub...

·
Straight Flight Attendant
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, well that answers that, I thought i remembered seeing used KA's in the 4-600 range, wasn't sure where the price on TDI's would be. I guess if they do have a good working turbo in them, that would hike that price up pretty quick. Other additional costs/labor would include intercooler install.

·
DIY'er
6,658 Posts
Holy jesus where the hell were you looking/ 4 - 6 grand? hell you can buy used ka's for under 500 bucks in selected locations with under 100,000 clicks

I suggest you do some researching before you post next time...

·
~TaZ~
815 Posts
you talking about VW's TDI engine?? I have a 96 passat tdi, its an extremely reliable and very good quality engine that gets unbelievable mileage... but its slow as f-ck! 0-60 takes at least 10 sec, 1/4 is around 20 sec...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Don't rule out Nissan diesel. There were plenty of 2.0 and 2.2 diesel engines in FWD foreign market cars.
Best bet is to locate a front clip for some similarly sized vehicle that had diesel--primera/bluebird........

I also doubt that anyone would to the leg for a TDI swap.

It would be easier to either tune the Altima for a little better MPG, or trade it in for the VW.

·
I keep em comin back.....
3,205 Posts
deadrx7conv said:
Don't rule out Nissan diesel. There were plenty of 2.0 and 2.2 diesel engines in FWD foreign market cars.
Best bet is to locate a front clip for some similarly sized vehicle that had diesel--primera/bluebird........

The costs of shipping that motor from Japan will be two arms and three legs!!

:p

·
Hit and Runs Suck
2,692 Posts
You are trying to save money by spending ten times as much. That's like driving 20 miles to save 3 cents a gallon on gas. You are not considering all of the variables here man. Think net cost verses net savings. It will costs you thousands of dollars to save hundreds. No one in their right mind would do this. Now, if you also want to do this to be different/have something original/as a hobby, then by all means, go for it. Just don't expect it to be cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts