The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anyone call Nissan consumer affairs to complain about the 2002 Nissan 2.5 engine noise? I called and they told me no one else have complained to them. I urge you to call and give them a piece of your mind. The phone it's in your car's manual. To make eisier here it is: 1-800-647-7265.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i assume he's talking about the "diesel" sound the engine makes.

wanna hear a funny story, this past monday i took my car into the dealer to get my free oil change and i asked the service guy...."why does this car sound like it has a diesel engine when its idling?"

i let him listen and he said..."i dont hear anything!?!?!!?" when i could clearly and i know he could clearly hear it.

stupid bastard lol. anyone have any comments i canfire back at them when they act stupid and play the ignorance card?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Other than my belt squeaking mine does not make this sound at all. Its actually a pretty quiet motor at idle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All Altimas sound like that. My mom has a '02 also and it sounds exactly the same as mine. The sound is because of the timing CHAIN. Rather than the noise it is a good, efficient engine!!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
^^ I don't understand this. Why would it make this noise because it has a chain rather than a belt? I've had a couple cars with timing chains rather than belts and none of them ever made any noise. Course, neither does my Altima.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is a fascinating thread, 3 owners say they hear the noise 2 owners don't hear a thing.

My wifes 2003 2.5s makes the same noise - I hear it, but she doesn't
hear a thing. Maybe some of us have sensitive hearing, some don't.

Maybe sensitive hearing is NOT a nissan technicians job requirement or maybe they're all just well trained.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Can you hear it better from one side of the car or the other? What about with the hood open? I'm wondering if you can identify which area of the engine it seems to be coming from or is it everywhere?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Noise comes from drivers side. Can't hear it at all from outside the car. From inside at idle with the radio off and windows up - its like a hollow knocking sound - very annoying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very annoying indeed. I complained in a letter to nissan. Hope to get a reply. I would let you know if i do.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Burgos-

Which engine do you have? Problem/noise seems to occur in both 4/6.

My wifes 2.5 has 7500 miles on it, had the noise since new.
When i took it to the dealer, they brought out another new one
which made the same noise, maybe even louder. So at that point i figured it was normal. Since then i've heard quieter ones so its not
normal (its not every car) but based on the posts here - it is very common. Too common in a car which costs 20-30k and is made by a company which formerly had a rep for making good cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, My 2.5S has the same noise, too. It's very annoying. When it's cold, it is far worse. But the engine itself is pretty quiet at idle. I believe it should be considered to be recalled.

·
Registered
147 Posts
zappa_esque said:
Check this "Symptom diagnosis" document summary:

http://www.jay-man.net/altima-info/tsb/doc-sums/Doc_Sum_018.pdf
Credit goes to Jay-man

Thanks for the info - this is the first thing i've seen that shows that nissan at some level admits they have this problem. How did you find this - what publication is it from - a nissan repair manual, service bulletin or what. I'd like to be able to give my dealer as much info as possible since they're pros at playing deaf dumb and blind.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Its hard to believe there aren't more responses to this thread.

All the altima owners who complain about the diesel engine noise
finally have something they can show to the dealer. Of course without
more info on where within the Nissan technical library this document can be found - the dealers will probably continue to do what they do best - act dumb.

Does anyone have any clue as to where this 'symptom diagnosis' doc with an FC------ reference number comes from ?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts