The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Altima 2.5SL sedan with a 1XT3C transmission in it. Two speed sensor codes popped so I had them replaced and it seems they did not fix the problem because according to the garage who consulted with Nissan, there should be a transmission 1XT3D in it not the "C" model. As I am googling though, it seems that both of these will fit for my car. Can anyone please shed some light on this? I am puzzled because if the transmission bolted up and runs without issues (minus the sensors), how is this possibly the "wrong" transmission?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
With the difference in number way at the end of the designation it is likely the same trans just in a slightly later model. The parts in question could easily be identical. Trans could even be the same but the later one considered as one for the next year model. If the assembly line had a few left over from last year and they use them up before going to the new they would do that, you don't toss leftover transmissions at all.

Letter changes at the end are not major trans changes like a different type, it being so would be very rare. 1XT3 is likely the basic trans model there. OP is finding that out now on google.

Nissan doing what it commonly does, try to woo customers into thinking magical (or frightening) stuff, when it is all worthless talk anyway.

The problem may not be sensors at all, may be wiring instead and some internal trans issues like converter clutch can trip those same codes too. Yep, one could need to change a trans over those codes, you read it right.

·
dat man in a black sedan
126 Posts
With the difference in number way at the end of the designation it is likely the same trans just in a slightly later model. The parts in question could easily be identical. Trans could even be the same but the later one considered as one for the next year model. If the assembly line had a few left over from last year and they use them up before going to the new they would do that, you don't toss leftover transmissions at all.

Letter changes at the end are not major trans changes like a different type, it being so would be very rare. 1XT3 is likely the basic trans model there. OP is finding that out now on google.

Nissan doing what it commonly does, try to woo customers into thinking magical (or frightening) stuff, when it is all worthless talk anyway.

The problem may not be sensors at all, may be wiring instead and some internal trans issues like converter clutch can trip those same codes too. Yep, one could need to change a trans over those codes, you read it right.
Nissan is notorious for using the same part number for several things that are otherwise identical. I ran into this with my first "Nissan" which was a 1996 Infiniti I30t (lsd, 5 sp manual). The half shafts that were used were not only from a different year, but also from a Nissan Maxima. So was the clutch, so was the master cylinder, several hoses etc etc. It doesnt make sense for Nissan to re engineer the engine significantly enough that would allow for it to bolt up and run without issues. I agree with you that the part designation could easily be attributed to the passing of model year and them simply wanting individual part numbers for each year, even if it is only on specific things. Nissan is bedfellows with a French company and the French are... well.... French :D and French companies are just kinda weird in some pretty awesome ways sometimes. I only say that because i logged a TON of km's in a 05 Citroen C3 5 door diesel. The transmission in that thing is the strangest thought ever put to steel that ive ever seen. I know Nissan is hooked up with Renault, not Citroen, but its still French. Completely non-related side note, why cant the Peugeot RCZ make it to the USA??

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nissan is notorious for using the same part number for several things that are otherwise identical. I ran into this with my first "Nissan" which was a 1996 Infiniti I30t (lsd, 5 sp manual). The half shafts that were used were not only from a different year, but also from a Nissan Maxima. So was the clutch, so was the master cylinder, several hoses etc etc. It doesnt make sense for Nissan to re engineer the engine significantly enough that would allow for it to bolt up and run without issues. I agree with you that the part designation could easily be attributed to the passing of model year and them simply wanting individual part numbers for each year, even if it is only on specific things. Nissan is bedfellows with a French company and the French are... well.... French :D and French companies are just kinda weird in some pretty awesome ways sometimes. I only say that because i logged a TON of km's in a 05 Citroen C3 5 door diesel. The transmission in that thing is the strangest thought ever put to steel that ive ever seen. I know Nissan is hooked up with Renault, not Citroen, but its still French. Completely non-related side note, why cant the Peugeot RCZ make it to the USA??
Well, in my personal experience driving many Renaults, Citröen and Peugeot, I can tell that there is a big difference. All three are really weird and harder to fix, is like they take a simple thing and make it more complex, sometimes unnecessarily, others is nice (Like Citröen Xantia's suspension, feels like a cushion but they tend to fail).
Citröen and Peugeot are quite the same, but Renault is another story... It's really bad quality and cheaply made. It would be nice that Nissan chose Peugeot or Citröen (or both) instead of Renault.
I had a 2004 Peugeot 406 that I really miss, and that was a really strong car and well made, it was a pleassure to drive and very nice design.
I also drove a Citröen Mehari, that is a really hard gearbox to learn. That is the French's approach to the Hummer. It's fun to drive but not appealing to be seen driving that

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,662 Posts
Memory lane...we used to drive a Citröen Xara (2 door sport coupe) around the cobbles of Paris...gearbox normal, but the engine had a few design challenges...like the day the high pressure fuel line on top of the engine sprung a leak on the way to work (car <6 mon old)...we could've been BBQ'd. Renault takes the cake though, we once borrowed a friends Megane hatch and somehow managed to lockup the 'security system'...I remember calling from a vineyard in the middle of nowhere, him laughing, and then describing the most bizarre pedal, key and door 'dance' ever to get it to 'reset'. That Megane really sucked...basically a French Lada. However, those old 406's were the best...perfectly normal....but sadly above my paygrade ;)

·
dat man in a black sedan
126 Posts
Memory lane...we used to drive a Citröen Xara (2 door sport coupe) around the cobbles of Paris...gearbox normal, but the engine had a few design challenges...like the day the high pressure fuel line on top of the engine sprung a leak on the way to work (car <6 mon old)...we could've been BBQ'd. Renault takes the cake though, we once borrowed a friends Megane hatch and somehow managed to lockup the 'security system'...I remember calling from a vineyard in the middle of nowhere, him laughing, and then describing the most bizarre pedal, key and door 'dance' ever to get it to 'reset'. That Megane really sucked...basically a French Lada. However, those old 406's were the best...perfectly normal....but sadly above my paygrade ;)
omg dude, the Xsara looks like the C3 5-door with a teepee integrated into the roof design. That greenhouse is just wow LOL

·
dat man in a black sedan
126 Posts
that dance with the devil in the pale moonlight sounds like a blast! My horror story is when i was coming back from Bulgaria crossing the frontier back to Romania and we were on a 2 lane road that was barely crawling and the transmission was overheating. A very literal automated manual that has a hydraulic pump that controls the release and engage of the clutch. It wasnt doing very well moving the car in 10 to 15 ft increments and decided to go into "leave me alone for 10 min" mode. We finally got out of the line of traffic and allowed the car to cool for about 20 min after which we had open road, so we got it up to speed and it was fine. The part where we had to pull off the road had about 3 ft of shoulder and a pretty deep ditch. The lorry drivers stacked up behind us were understandably unhappy, but most of them politely waved as they went by. Seeing a dad and mom struggling with 2 kids and a car that wont go probably instills understanding in most people who see it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts