The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just keep it clean baby!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experienced a dim headlight? I changed the bulb on the driver side and it’s still dim. My wife was pulled over yesterday afternoon for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
I read that the silver coating on the reflector can burn off and blacken, which reduces light output considerably. If that happens, replacing the bulb will not help.

I'm not sure if the reflector behind the headlight bulb is a separate replaceable part or if you would have to buy a complete new headlight housing.
Perhaps someone else can advise on this subject?...

·
Just keep it clean baby!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard about that too. I guess I need to turn the headlight on and look at the brightness outside if the lens. Do you happen to know where the ground wire is located?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Ground would obviously be one of the wires coming to the headlight socket.

You buy new light assembly to get reflector, nobody sells that separately.

Somehow creating too much resistance BEFORE the light to kill power available can do it too, like a relay. You would have to have separate relay for each side in that case since the other side is not doing it.

·
Just keep it clean baby!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m 100% certain that I need a new assembly. I turned the lights on with the bulb out the assembly and it almost blinded me. Terrible design that something like that fails so soon.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Plastic lenses, because everybody complained about having the 'same' headlights in all of them. Designed to need to be changed every few years now and the way the OEMs try to do everything now. It's as much now about forcing the sale of new parts as much as the new car sales. What people who complain about 'boring cars' not re-styled every year have done to the rest of us.

·
Registered
208 Posts
there is a class action lawsuit google search it
I got bored and googled...here's the link:

https://chimicles.com/nissan-altima-dim-headlights-class-action-investigation/

Looks like the class action suit is just in the preliminary investigative stages...it could be many years before anyone benefits!
And, it is only for Americans at this stage.

For those who qualify, don't expect a big payout, if any!
It took at least 10 years before I got less than $20 back from the class action suit on overpriced computer RAM chips back in the 90's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
having same issue
i have filed compliant!!!
please file complaint here

NTHSA i cant post a link

national traffic highway safety administration

hopefully there will be a recall

i drive at night an need to get it fixed asap i found local labor for $250 and both replacement assemblies for $180 on line

1 - 11 of 11 Posts