The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
dissapointing timeslips... i need more mods and driving lessons.

went to st. thomas dragway for the first time tonight. overall i had a good time and learnt alot. In the process i happend to beat a few preludes, 5L mustangs, civics, integras, and old ass pickup trucks? :)

conditions: 18°C (64°F) & humid

car: 3.5 m/t w/ UR udp, AEM cai, stock tires and rims, empty trunk

here are a few timeslips (i am car #535 which is highlighted) and my interpretation of the results: I SUCK!

1. why is my fastest time so slow (14.513 on run #2)? i expected to be able to do much better w/ the mods i have. believe me i tried so many different things during my 14 runs. From the butt dyno analysis, I know the cai has added hp and definitely improved throttle response & the udp provided easier revs and noticeable gains... why am i not faster? I know your answers will be to put me into the "shitty driver" catagory w/ altimat ;)

2. how the hell is my second run the fastest with that horrible reaction time (1.286)? vs. 0.589 in run #10.

3. after 14 runs i was able to consistently get 14.7/8's w/ a reaction time ~.7s. I did this by shifting at 6k in every gear and generally trying to limit wheel spin on take-off while not letting the engine bog down.

4. my first and only loss was to a delSol (car #564 in run #14) :angry4: his car seemd fairly modded (haha everybody must say this when they lose). but i'm serious here. it was funny actually. he had a car crew/ buddies which packed his engine compartment with ice and pushed his car up to the line every race. He sounded like he definetly had exhaust and intake mods. anyway, it sucked to finish off the night like this

5. someone tell me why i SUCK and how i can improve (i.e., tips, mods, shift points, launching, etc)

well, i'm getting tired.. the timeslips say the rest. I thought i would post this here as I related my results to some mods AND most of you are like hermits .. always in this forum:)

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,268 Posts
The Del Sol had to be HEAVILY modded. My sister had one and I could beat her in the 1/4 on my Bicycle.

Those are respectable times...I would have thought a little better with your mods

·
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OhTwoAltimaSE said:
Can't wait for the temperature to come down around here, I'm hoping for anything less than 14.8
14.8 w/ an auto would be great! u would beat the times posted in the magazines. I on the other hand couldn't touch the 14.4sec posted by motortrend on a STOCK SE:( you guys think they used different tires?

i wish i could find a guy on here with the same car and better times.... i would pick his brain for hours:D

i just put all this data in excel and there is quite a bit of variability. where do yo guys think i need to improve?

·
My little champion...
4,968 Posts
turrifik said:

So did I..... Soooooo did I!!!!!!!!!
Hey turrifik. Here is my best timeslip so far. I'm car 870 - you'll notice the car I raced against (it was a 97 Auto MAX) left the line 1.2 seconds ahead of me. When I hit the finish line - I was right beside him - he won by two tenths of a second... So I gained a full second back on him... He finished first - but I still had a lower ET.

I do have some questions for you? What RPM were you launching at steadily? If you varied RPM on launches, do you remember what RPM you launched at when you did your best run?

If you notice - on your best 1/4 ET you also had your best 60ft time. To go faster - you need to launch @ the highest RPM with as little wheelspin as possible. You should also play with your shift points instead of always shifting @ 6k RPM. Someone recommended - doing redline first and then decreasing shift points by about 100 RPM.

Did you finish it in 3RD? Some people with timeslips COMPLETELY STOCK around (14.3) finish off in 4TH... I'll give an example of maybe why they choose 4th...

If you really want to learn shift points - practice on the highway with people in front of you. Not saying that you have to speed - but watch how shifting @ a certain RPM instead of taking it to redline - say going from either second to third or third to fourth pulls them back in. I remember my first REAL race in the SE - against an older Mustang GT. I was closing in @ 80MPH in 3RD - but believe me - when I shifted to fourth the rate at which I started to reel him increased so much that I went flying by him up to 135MPH...

Hope this helps - drag racing is all about the launch and shift points. I use to lower tire pressure - it might help on drag radials but it actually made it harder FOR ME to gain traction during launch. This caused me to have 15 flat 1/4 mile times and 60fts from 2.4 - 2.6 (terrible).

On my best run I had (3k RPM launch) my tires @ 33psi and NOW they've started to squeal at 2k RPM launches on the road - I inflated them to 39psi - probably will lower the pressure as far as I can without squealing. At least now I can launch @ 3k RPM again - no squealing...

Tire squealing causes too many red light races - which i don't care for...

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
Bad driving :p

Just takes practice, dont be nervous at the launch. Take your time to learn a perfect launch point. I wouldnt be able to tell you, I have a 4 cylinder. Once you can launch your car, have a little wheels spin and have it grab while still in first gear, power shift into second, meaning dont take your foot off the gas, slam clutch in as fast as possible go to second. Ride that gear out, get a good shift into third since its the last gear you will be using and you should do ok. Can hit low 14's drivin like that.

Last night I got my best launch ever, Dropped around 2500, tires spun until 5000 rpm and then grabbed right as it went into the powerband. I was on the streets so I didnt powershift, but I ripped my cousins 325i a new one.

Remember track is different, there is so much rubber laid down you can launch very high because it will grab very quick. Just dont break anything :D

·
Registered
938 Posts
Those are repectable times with the mods. Stock the best I cold do is 14.8 but it was much hotter outside ! A 14.5 is very decent, shifting at 6000 is perfect, as long as you did not have too much wheel spin your doing it all right!

·
I hate my Altima.
831 Posts
There are so much more variables when driving a manual car. . . getting a good time would require a good launch; and good smooth but fast shifts. Work on that and you SHOULD be able to improve a little bit.

·
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
thanks for the feedback dallas, kevq35, and jbl85.

from what i can remember of each run and the above info, this is what i think.

- i think i may have shifted in 4th on my fastest run ( i know i did in one of the first few runs) but i never tried it again. this may expalin why i was consistently slower for the remaining races and could not beat 14.513. however, than run was the best because i was much faster in the 60ft during. maybe i just nailed the launch (i.e., very little wheelspin and no spin into 2nd)? in eather case, i will have to look into this..... shift into 4th or stay in 3rd and finish at aroud 6-7k rpm? hmmmm.

- the hp curves in kevq35's dyno charts seem differnt. would higher shift points in certain gears help? it would be nice to see where hp drops off in ea gear.

- in my daily driving i find that the best launches are obtained by dropping the clutch at 2500rpm. this is just enough to not bog down and yet grabd w/o wheelspin. at the track i was launching a little higher because i thought the track had better traction. it was hard to tell with all the noise, but maybe the 2500rpm launch would have been best. hell, maybe that is what i did on the 14.513 run???

damn... next time i am going to take a few minutes after each run and write a few comments on ea. timslip. last night i was just so concentrated on getting good r/t's and 1/4 times?

- i also deflated my tires to about 27psi after 5 races but didn't find this helped. I'm not sure if i was getting slightly less wheelspin when they were at the stock pressure (which was around 40psi!!!!!!!!!)

·
My little champion...
4,968 Posts
Originally posted by turrifik
thanks for the feedback dallas, kevq35, and jbl85.

from what i can remember of each run and the above info, this is what i think.

- i think i may have shifted in 4th on my fastest run ( i know i did in one of the first few runs) but i never tried it again. this may expalin why i was consistently slower for the remaining races and could not beat 14.513. however, than run was the best because i was much faster in the 60ft during. maybe i just nailed the launch (i.e., very little wheelspin and no spin into 2nd)? in eather case, i will have to look into this..... shift into 4th or stay in 5th and finish at aroud 6-7k rpm? hmmmm.
I know you meant finish in 3RD. Many people over at MAXIMA.ORG who get in the 14.2-14.3 range will tell you they finish the 1/4 in 4th.. Yeah your 60ft looks like the cause for the rest of your runs being so high in the 1/4. On your first run always try the RPMs out around 3000RPM-3500RPM. The higher you start the more power you will put down (as long as it is without tire slippage and wheel hop). I'd try 3000RPM launches on the streets first to see what you can put down regularly - depending on track conditions you might have to lower the RPM...

- the hp curves in kevq35's dyno charts seem differnt. would higher shift points in certain gears help? it would be nice to see where hp drops off in ea gear.
They (3rd gear and fourth gear dyno) look different in reference to what - yours? I intend to dyno my car again - I dyno'd with about 1700 miles on the car (engine was kinda green). I had been driving on the highway for about 3 hours straight to get to the dyno shop - don't know if this had some effect. I live in MD and the shop was in VA. I think shifting @ 6k rpm - pushes you back to 4k rpm. Someone care to verify this? I'd say redline first - decrease the others...

- in my daily driving i find that the best launches are obtained by dropping the clutch at 2500rpm. this is just enough to not bog down and yet grabd w/o wheelspin. at the track i was launching a little higher because i thought the track had better traction. it was hard to tell with all the noise, but maybe the 2500rpm launch would have been best. hell, maybe that is what i did on the 14.513 run???
Do you normally slip your clutch or you just let off it? At higher RPMS you'll get less wheelspin if you slip your clutch out rather than just dropping it. Power shifting will net you maybe an extra tenth - I've heard its not great for a tranny - but in your quest for lower ETs its your call...

damn... next time i am going to take a few minutes after each run and write a few comments on ea. timslip. last night i was just so concentrated on getting good r/t's and 1/4 times?
At this point - I'd say forget about reaction times and work more on getting consistent launches with 60fts in the 2.1-2.2 range... At the end you really care about the 1/4 mile ET and speed. If a built up Civic EX has a better R/T time but finishes before you with a 15.5 and you finish with a 14.3 who do you think they are going to be giving props to? The Civic? Yeah right....

- i also deflated my tires to about 27psi after 5 races but didn't find this helped. I'm not sure if i was getting slightly less wheelspin when they were at the stock pressure (which was around 40psi!!!!!!!!!) [/B]
YUP. Thats exactly what I'm saying - people say to lower the pressure - but its not working for me... My best time was stock without tire pressure adjustment. I have them at 39PSI now and can probably launch @ 3500RPM without wheel spin - I will try this as soon as I get out again... But some people recommend lowering the fronts and increasing the rear - because on acceleration the weight gets distributed to the rear tires... (lucky RWD vehicles :angry2: )

·
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
KeVQ35 said:
They (3rd gear and fourth gear dyno) look different in reference to what - yours? I intend to dyno my car again - I dyno'd with about 1700 miles on the car (engine was kinda green). I had been driving on the highway for about 3 hours straight to get to the dyno shop - don't know if this had some effect. I live in MD and the shop was in VA. I think shifting @ 6k rpm - pushes you back to 4k rpm. Someone care to verify this? I'd say redline first - decrease the others...
i meant the dyno profiles look differnt in the different gears (i.e., the hp drop off pt seems to be at different rpm's). you are correct. in most gears shifting at 6k puts me back at around 4k... which is perfect i think.

Do you normally slip your clutch or you just let off it? At higher RPMS you'll get less wheelspin if you slip your clutch out rather than just dropping it. Power shifting will net you maybe an extra tenth - I've heard its not great for a tranny - but in your quest for lower ETs its your call...
i generally don't powershift. i already feel bad about being so rough on her :D. i slip the clutch to a certain degree (still a fairly abrupt shift) in the lower gears as i try to limit wheelspin... this takes a bit of practice since the drag strip and street pavement are totally different.

At this point - I'd say forget about reaction times and work more on getting consistent launches with 60fts in the 2.1-2.2 range... At the end you really care about the 1/4 mile ET and speed. If a built up Civic EX has a better R/T time but finishes before you with a 15.5 and you finish with a 14.3 who do you think they are going to be giving props to? The Civic? Yeah right.....

people say to lower the pressure - but its not working for me... My best time was stock without tire pressure adjustment. I have them at 39PSI now and can probably launch @ 3500RPM without wheel spin - I will try this as soon as I get out again...
i agree with all you said. i'm putting my tire pressure back up & F$#% R/t. i have to improve my 60ft with less/no wheelspin at the launch and the shift into 2nd

how much of a difference could better (wider, softer) tires make in terms of time?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts