The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
always says 523? you must drive the same way before fill-up, fill-up at the same time, and drive a 4.

Mine goes between 416 and 424.

YMMV

w

·
Registered
95 Posts
my drive to work is almost the same - every day. I stay between 65 - 70 for about 25 miles and the last 3 are city driving - a few lights. Almost the same for the return trip.

My average MPG just before fillup is usually 26.4
And I don't drive it much on the weekends.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Distance for Silver Shadow

Silver Shadow,

Could it be for your first tank full(s), you were breaking in the car, driving less agressively, getting more mpg? That would give you more DTE.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yea i noticed that after i filled it up one day and reset the MPG and other trip odometers my DTE was like 279? Rediculous! Whats up with that? When i originally filled i, it gave me like 500+ but since then. I will be filling it tomorrow.. stay tuned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Distance for Silver Shadow

doumat said:
Silver Shadow,

Could it be for your first tank full(s), you were breaking in the car, driving less agressively, getting more mpg? That would give you more DTE.
No not really. I purchased a "Demo" with 1600 miles on it. When I first got the car, the DTE would read around 420 at the gas station, prior to any driving.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
DTE

I think it is based on your milage on your previous tank of gas. Mine was alway right around 400. Then I took it on the highway and averaged damn near 29mpg.......and at fill up it read 523 for the first time

·
Wasabi Warrior
271 Posts
getting in the low 400's

bruncek said:
Yea i noticed that after i filled it up one day and reset the MPG and other trip odometers my DTE was like 279? Rediculous! Whats up with that? When i originally filled i, it gave me like 500+ but since then. I will be filling it tomorrow.. stay tuned.
I'm getting about 410, with a K & N drop-in air filter (and resetting the computer) - but I also drive mainly in the city and with the AC on, plus I like to stomp on the accelerator at freeway onramps. I'm sure I could squeeze it to about 430 with more "responsible" driving.

-I don't know, but it seems the faster I drive on the freeway, the more fuel efficient the car becomes. :confused: Go figure.

·
Silent Runner
307 Posts
Re: getting in the low 400's

Black Dragon said:

I'm getting about 410, with a K & N drop-in air filter (and resetting the computer) - but I also drive mainly in the city and with the AC on, plus I like to stomp on the accelerator at freeway onramps. I'm sure I could squeeze it to about 430 with more "responsible" driving.

-I don't know, but it seems the faster I drive on the freeway, the more fuel efficient the car becomes. :confused: Go figure.
I noticed this also... It doesn't seem to matter if I drive conservative or aggressive... same MPG readout.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
Black Dragon

You nailed it buddy. I too noticed that. The faster I went the quicker the mpg raised. I figure if I got rid of the governor, I could get this thing up into Honda Insight territory for mpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
you can't reset the DTE readout using the button. Yesterday, after driving 100% freeway miles we gassed up and I was surprised to see DTE set at 520 after the fillup. Before, it was alway about 100 miles less than that after a fillup. Well, the computer must base it's DTE guess on your most recent MPG, or last fillup...we almost never drive 100% freeway miles and that's what made the change at the last fillup

·
Registered
20 Posts
I pressed my button for the DTE and held it there and the lights cycled and it reset to 420. I may be wrong but I thought I saw it change. I made sure I did the same for all the options there and the next tank I will do a comparison. My mileage for the first tank last week was 23.9, the second tank this week was 27.6 and so far I am averaging 28. For a short stretch of roadway about 2 miles after leaving the gas station it actually climbed to 31.9 but I got caught at a long light and down it went. It is amazing how this car does seem to get better MPG the faster you drive. If unfortunately I get stopped by a police officer and he asks me why I was driving so fast, I will tell him " I was just trying to increase my Miles Per Gallon". He will probably double my ticket for being a smart [email protected]@.

·
Registered
19 Posts
DTE is based on average fuel consumption and the amount of fuel in your tank. It is updated every 30 sec and can be reset, but upon reset it takes 30 sec to register a reading. It's in the manual under instruments and guages.

·
Registered
224 Posts
iflyvfr said:
you can't reset the DTE readout using the button. Yesterday, after driving 100% freeway miles we gassed up and I was surprised to see DTE set at 520 after the fillup. Before, it was alway about 100 miles less than that after a fillup. Well, the computer must base it's DTE guess on your most recent MPG, or last fillup...we almost never drive 100% freeway miles and that's what made the change at the last fillup

yes, you can reset the DTE from the button, but since the DTE is a calculated value from another number, MPG, it will be the same after you cleared it to before you cleared it.

It does not matter what the DTE says when you fill up because it is a calculated based on its recent MPG calculations.

If I fill up on a Sunday, drive during the week it will say that I am going to get 500+ miles, by Friday it may be down to 240+ and when I start driving the weekend around the house, short trips it will say that I am going to get 140+ and it falls off like a rock.

All that it is doing is calculating MPG based on current conditions with some weighted average of previous MPG. Taking how many gallons that it thinks are in the tank and multiplying it by the MPG and you get DTE.

The one thing wrong with this whole theory is that we do not even know if our speedometers are correct, which everything is based on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i live in ny so my mpg are usually around 18.5 wit my avg mph at 21
and when i fill up my dte is only at around 300
when i first got the car it was around 500 dte after fill up
so i guess the most recent mpg theory is correct

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.