The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the other day i swapped distributors, got a re-built one from Autozone.

Three days later, I see oil coming out of it again....I am going to try and remove it tomorrow. It came with a new O-ring already on it, so I have no idea why it is leakinging.

The only thing that I did that may have contributed to this was put a this layer of oil around the new O-ring and the neck (part that goes inside) of the new distributor before I put it in. I did this because it was a bitch to get back in without some lube. Do you think I ****ed up? Would this have caused my new oil leak?

:(

·
projected member
919 Posts
lubing the o-ring is ok. make sure you didnt tear the oring. also, are you sure its coming from the dist? poss. from where the valve cover meets the top of the dist.

·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I just replaced the valve cover gasket about 3 months ago. Im sure its coming out of the distributor :( There is a slow drip coming out of the bottom of the distributor itself.

Dammit, I guess i'll have to open it up and possible put a new o-ring before the camshaft sensor gets ****ed again.

Anyone know if auto part places would sell the O-ring for the distributor? Maybe a set of various sizes?

thanks

·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aaron1017 said:
Get a new OEM distributor, works better i heard.
Honestly can;t afford it right now. $139 vs. ~$400-$450

Plus Autozone has a lifetime warranty. worse case I take this one back and walk out with another.

·
I Don't Drive An Altima
1,083 Posts
Tru, i know how that is, with a lifetime warranty ya cant really go wrong i guess. I just didnt wanna deal with touble and purchased an OEM one.

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
WILLDOGS said:
No, I just replaced the valve cover gasket about 3 months ago. Im sure its coming out of the distributor :( There is a slow drip coming out of the bottom of the distributor itself.

Dammit, I guess i'll have to open it up and possible put a new o-ring before the camshaft sensor gets ****ed again.

Anyone know if auto part places would sell the O-ring for the distributor? Maybe a set of various sizes?

thanks
Someplace like NAPA would be more likely to have O-rings of various sizes.

·
Pacman
341 Posts
The AutoZone I work at does not carry the O-rings for distributors. NAPA may be a wbetter choice^^^.

·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys....

Maybe I can check a plumbing supply store or home depot as well. O-rings are also used for plumbing .....

just thinking

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought the same O ring you need at Advanced Auto. I also know the dealer sells them for like $3-4. Took care of my leak.

·
Erect Member
18,126 Posts
cheap trick again... if you take some silicone to an o-ring and roll some between your fingers and apply it to the new o-ring as a very thin film, it will help seal it, without the annoying squeeze out and locking it in there.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Altima9401 :) U work at AutoZone?
Maybe you could supply us with discounted autoparts hehe:D :D

As far as leak from the distributor, I would check if it was clean and smooth before u put the new one in...

Would like to know how you fixed it later.:p

·
Pacman
341 Posts
I get a 20% discount on everything we stock, for the most part. We are getting a bunch of new stuff in, and a lot it is for import and sport compact cars. We barely have half of it outta the boxes. I will let you guys know if anything good comes up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts