The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
87 octane evangelist
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think my distributor may be hosed. does anyone make a kit to convert 1st gens to a distributorless system? i just called courtesy to see how much a new distributor was, and they told me $400+. i'm thinking for that much, i can get an aftermarket distributorless system if anyone makes one and i won't have to worry about it going back again, plus, i get to good around with ignition timing without having to bust out the timing gun.

dan

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
There are a few companies that make DIS kits ( Electromotive is one that comes to mind ) , but they are super spendy , and would require major custom work to make it all work ....

·
87 octane evangelist
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SHAWN said:
There are a few companies that make DIS kits ( Electromotive is one that comes to mind ) , but they are super spendy , and would require major custom work to make it all work ....
well, their hpv-1 system i found for $475 the first place i looked. not cheap, but not insane, especially since people are being quoted $800 for a distributor replacement by the dealers. i've got no idea what it would take to make it work with the altima. but people that are looking to spend $300 for the jacobs or msd ignition kits might want to look at this. they get the same benefits, plus, they get to do away with the distributor.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/electro.htm

·
ASE certified wiseass
174 Posts
Yuck. You would be forced to use a magnetic pickup for the timing. They are not the most accurate in the world and the magnet can fall off (yikes!). Your best bet would be to keep the dist cool and dry and it will last a long time.

Randy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.