The Nissan Club banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
KA24DE > SR20DE
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should help anybody considering this get an idea of how hard the install is. Here's a list of what you need:

-Button Starter
-Relays (some buttons come w/ relays built in)
-14 gauge wire
-3 self stripping tap connectors (vampire clips)
-1 spade terminal
-wire cutters/strippers
-Phillips screwdrivers

Here's what the car looked like before:

Step 1: Because we will be working with electrical components unhook the negative cable from the battery. I always wrap it in a rag to prevent it from accidentally connecting while I'm working.

Step 2: Take off the shift knob and boot, radio trim bezel, steering wheel column cover and the plastic piece below that. Once your done that your dash should look almost like this, I have a few extra pieces off that I wanted to paint.

Step 3: I installed mine in the spot for the cigarette lighter b/c it was easy and will be accessible if anything goes wrong. Remove the lighter unit and lighted trim from the radio bezel. You will have to cut the lighted unit in half and trim off the excess from where the lighter unit is mounted as shown.

Step 4: Mount the button by putting the lighted ring (which won't light up anymore, but will act as a mount for the button) in the slot, then attach the button body and relay assembly behind the radio bezel and lighted ring. Finally, insert the button to the button body and spin it into place.

Step 5: Cut 4 lengths of wire and strip 1/3'' from one end on 3 of the wires and 1/3'' from both ends on the last one. Put the stripped ends of the wire into the relay and tighten down the screws to hold them in place. Attach a spade terminal to the one wire that has a stripped end exposed. This will be the ground wire. There will be 2 wires that need to be connected to a switched power source (so you can only start your car with the key in the "on" position), and the last wire will be connected to the "start" wire.

Here I've labeled them all so I know what goes where.

I grounded my button on the bolt of the radio bracket.

I attached both wires that need swtiched power with a vampire clip so there will only be one wire going to the "on" wire at the ignition switch.

·
KA24DE > SR20DE
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 6: Run the wires behind the radio and up the steering column. This is a really bad pic of how I ran mine.

Step 7: (no pics, sorry) Attach the "start" wire to the black w/yellow wire on the ignition switch. Attach the switched power wires to the black w/white wire on the ignition switch. I will take off the steering column cover later and take pics. At this point it would be a good time to test it. Reattach the negative cable at the battery and turn your key to "on". The button should light up. When you push the button the car should start. CONGRATS!! You're almost done.

Step 8: Reassemble the dash. This is how it looks when you're all done.

A couple of final notes. I chose to use vampire clips so I wasn't cutting any wires. That way I can still start the car traditionally. Also, my button came with relays built into it. If yours does not you will need to contact a part store and find one for your application.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, or post here.

·
Registered
457 Posts
i so wanna do that with my 3rd gen but i dont know a nice place to put the start switch

·
KA24DE > SR20DE
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks SWEET!!! good job and good write up!!
Thanks man, I wanna get video of it but I don't have a camera. It's so much cooler to push a button.

i so wanna do that with my 3rd gen but i dont know a nice place to put the start switch
Post a pic of your dash and you'd be surprised how many opinions you get about it.

·
KA24DE > SR20DE
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have all the tools already so it was just the button (it came with relay attached), connectors, and wire. It totaled about $65 cdn. So like $50 usd. Not too shabby I figure.

·
crumb snatcher
547 Posts
So what happens when you try to start the car by turning the key past "on." Does it still start that way? And if it does how do you disable it so it only starts from the button and not the key. I want to see a vid!

Thanks

·
KA24DE > SR20DE
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^Stop smoking and you won't need one anymore. :flip:

·
1st Gen SE Lover
2,520 Posts
Even though I don't like the idea of a push starter. I'd have a red button with one of those clear plastic flip caps on it. I'd also label it "self-destruct button" and keep it where everyone in the car could see it.

·
KA24DE > SR20DE
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what do you guys think about this spot? below the stalk, nicely centered
Not sold on it honestly. I looked and thought about it for a while and couldn't really come up with anything better. That's why I put it where I did.

·
RLR is here
6,078 Posts
Even though I don't like the idea of a push starter. I'd have a red button with one of those clear plastic flip caps on it. I'd also label it "self-destruct button" and keep it where everyone in the car could see it.
:lol:

I personally would put my start button next to the shifter or center console area, probably.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.