The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject says it all.
Has anyone tried to burn an audio CD and try it in the
Altima's CD changer?
In particular, I'm curious whether rewritable CDs (CD-RW)
will work, since most audio players handle CD-Rs OK.

Thanks,

FutureAltimaOwner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
CD-R, yes. CD-RW, most unlikely.
 

·
Remember Me?
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
cd-r'S

cd-R'S Work, but as far as nissan says in the owner's manual they don't guarantee it, careful of paper labels also, if you put one in and it don't come out you will have a hard time getting warranty to cover it.....Nissan did this to cover their A**...This is quoted from another thread so dont hang me.....BTW what software are you using to put CDA on a CDRW ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: cd-r'S

ILXLR8B4U said:
cd-R'S Work, but as far as nissan says in the owner's manual they don't guarantee it, careful of paper labels also, if you put one in and it don't come out you will have a hard time getting warranty to cover it.....Nissan did this to cover their A**...This is quoted from another thread so dont hang me.....BTW what software are you using to put CDA on a CDRW ?
Actually, I imagine that any software that allows you to
put CDDA on a CDR will put it on a CDRW as well.
In particular, I've used Adaptec Easy CD Creator, but now
I much prefer to use Nero.

I'm looking forward to getting an Altima, and I'd like to know
how "modern" the CD player in it is. In fact, I'd even prefer
that it would handle MP3s, but I guess that would be too
much to ask for right now.

FutureAltimaOwner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
wait, so cd labels screw up cdrs?
Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I don't think CDA (audio) can be put on a CDRW. Only on CDR.

I agree that it's too bad that in a 2002 model, you can't even chose an option that would include a CDR/CDRW/MP3 player in a car.
 

·
Remember Me?
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
Paper Labels

The Nissan service Manager confirmed it....If you put a CD-r in and the label peels off and gets stuck....it will cost $$...they dont warranty it.... ( I've never had a stick-on CD-r label come off in a player... but the question was valid) CD-r's with no label have given me probs in other players...maybe spray paint the the front black....LOL ( read the ownwers manual)
 

·
Future Z Driver
Joined
·
215 Posts
stefx said:
I don't think CDA (audio) can be put on a CDRW. Only on CDR.
No, you can definitely put CD Audio on a CDRW. I have an RW with a music CD on it in my bag right now. However, you have to make sure that your CD player can play RWs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Well CDRs definitely work fine with the single-CD player. I've burned myself a couple dozen copies of CDs from my home collection for the Altima and all have played fine. With CDR blanks so cheap (somewhere between 40 cents and free depending on the Best Buy deal of the week), I never mess with CDRWs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
ok..this is more of a computere problem so i may be of a lil help.
The problem with cdrw is that the user doesn't "finalize" the cd so u can keep adding/deteling things from the cd.
Although some after-market CDPs will allow cdrws to run without finalizing it, i highly doubt the stock one will do that. You can still use a cdrw on the altima or ne other car if u finalize the cd..but why would u want to do that when the cdrw is more expensive than regular cdr's? Just save up ur cdrws for ur software backups, etc... and just ur cdrs :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
The problem of not closing the disc applies to CDRs as well as CDRWs -- some audio players have trouble with discs that haven't been closed (and a few even have problems with ones that *have* been closed). But anyway, yeah, it's a good idea to make sure you close or 'finalize' when making an audio CD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hee1 said:
ok..this is more of a computere problem so i may be of a lil help.
The problem with cdrw is that the user doesn't "finalize" the cd so u can keep adding/deteling things from the cd.
Although some after-market CDPs will allow cdrws to run without finalizing it, i highly doubt the stock one will do that. You can still use a cdrw on the altima or ne other car if u finalize the cd..but why would u want to do that when the cdrw is more expensive than regular cdr's? Just save up ur cdrws for ur software backups, etc... and just ur cdrs :)
Just to get into geek mode here, as the prior poster has noted,
finalizing the disc is an issue for both CDRs and CDRWs.
Basically, what you are talking about is multisession CD writing,
which really isn't an issue for audio CDs.

In any case, the reason I sometimes use CDRWs is to "preview"
an audio CD, before I decide to commit it to a CDR.
That is, I burn it to a CDRW first, decide if I like it, and if so, then
burn it to CDR. You only really need a couple of CDRWs for this to
work, and it cuts down on wasted CDRs.

FutureAltimaOwner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Yeah but if you have decent software you really don't need to burn it to a CDRW... you can just play the set list and see how you like it... especially if you get into cross-fading the tracks... as someone posted... CDRs are like basically free depending on what Breast Buy and Cervix City are running for a special that week...

I bailed on the EZ CD creator... when Adaptec Rebranded it Roxio they blew it on their product... plus the f-ing program has blown windows out on me twice... I went to install an update... got an error message that told me to uninstall the program and re-install it... when I did that it blew out pieces of windows explorer and a couple of other neat little things that your OS needs to run and it was a mess... at least I'm lucky and have a handle on how to fix crap like that...

This happened to a couple of friends too... one was so screwed he had to scrap everything on his computer and rebuild his programs... he lost 100s of MP3s... his fault for not backing up...

Anyway... bottom line... switch to Nero... it's a great, stable program.
 

·
Moderate User
Joined
·
72 Posts
I woke up one day and realized I'm an old fart now and I don't wanna mess around w/ aftermarket car stereos anymore. Besides the OEM Bose on my new baby is pretty good. The problem is, I had a kickass system built around a Kenwood KDC MP8017 head unit on my 93 ZX. That unit accepted MP3 encoded CDRs so I carried my entire collection of 1500 songs on less than 20 discs.

Now I gotta re-burn CDs the old-fashioned way all over again. I asked in some other thread whether the Bose OEM had an AUX IN to accomodate a portable player, and I guess the answer was a no. Next question I guess is, what are the alternatives if I want to carry most if not all my music collection without ripping out the whole system?

I know I could go w/ an SSI Neo Car Jukebox, but I heard alot of bad stuff about it. Hope Phatnoise comes out w/ an RF modulated unit? HELP ME! I'M SICK AND TIRED OF BURNING CDS!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
CD-RW

I got my new 3.5SE last night and have been burning songs on CD-RWs for my new car. I tried on different burners and CDs from home and office, they work great.
 

·
Bruised Soup
Joined
·
9,479 Posts
i get CDRWs to use temporarily......then switch to CDrs.....i hate burning coasters!!!!

HBOC
 

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
Joined
·
14,715 Posts
ThurzNite said:
wait, so cd labels screw up cdrs?
Jay
most labels are put on crappy and can come up, thus sticking inside, or have little air bubbles that gets stuck..

also, when I put a CD-R in my car with a label, its thicker and the load and eject is slower than non-labeled cDs..
 

·
Singing Crack Rabbit
Joined
·
20 Posts
victor said:


most labels are put on crappy and can come up, thus sticking inside, or have little air bubbles that gets stuck..

also, when I put a CD-R in my car with a label, its thicker and the load and eject is slower than non-labeled cDs..
Not to mention that if you put it on wrong it may imbalance the CD(keep in mind that CDs spin fast). For an example of this rent any CD game from Blockbuster. Those lame heavy barcode labels used to give me heck on an older playstation, because it's motor would have trouble spinning the cd(the labels were often all on one side of the CD, so they were VERY unbalanced). End result? Unreadable CDs.

Screw the labels, use a Sharpie(Sanford permanent marker, available in fine point) to label your disks!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: CD-RW

wtse said:
I got my new 3.5SE last night and have been burning songs on CD-RWs for my new car. I tried on different burners and CDs from home and office, they work great.
Hey, thanks for the reply.
Good to hear that Nissan put in a relatively new CD system
that can handle the lower reflectivity of the CDRWs.
Can't wait to get mine, now.

FutureAltimaOwner
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top