The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Other Fella
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up it's me again.

Short: can i change the wires, without changing anything else? I dont think it will make a difference, but thought I ask. Also the 1mm size difference what does it mean to me. (NooB that I am :rolleyes: )

As I browse around and do my searches I realy could not find a thread about when it's time to change the plugs and wires, and if I need to change both at the same time?

Basically I just put in an order for a few items and the NGK Wires were one of them. My car 2k 19K300 miles, I think the plugs are the plats from what I read not sure though... still looking.:embarasse

I know a few have mentioned changing the plugs,wires,cap,etc but do I have too? Is chaning the wires right now OK?

I bought them now (the wires) but if it's better to do the whole thing together I can wait and do that ( my friend should be available.. someday). I know flarearrow had mentioned to to me in another post that it's realy not neccessary, as I too think so, but just wanted to make sure before hand. Well any help is always appreciated,

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
you can do just the wires, and also just the plugs... Nissan with the Platinums say you can go 60K with them on, coppers will be more frequent changes. a good time for the wires is 30K. that's pretty average.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
30k on wires? I'm already at 34k miles. What would happen if I keep running on my original wires?

·
588 Posts
nissan says u can go till 105k with platinum plugs, according to the owners manual, but i should change them every 30k in my opinion also do ur cap and rotor, wires arent neccesary unless you feel you have to, but might as well, there is a set of genuine nissan plugs and wires on ebay right now

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
No point in doing wires unless they are bad , or they have miles on them , most go at least 60K miles !!! And just leave the stock plugs in , if you want to be anal , do the plugs at 30,000 and wires at the same time or wait till 60K for both is also OK ...

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
flarearrow said:
30k on wires? I'm already at 34k miles. What would happen if I keep running on my original wires?
Most plug wires will last the life of the car. Change what you have to.

·
The Other Fella
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool

Yeah I'll see what Im going to do, I put the order for the wires so there on there way :eek: . The car feels fine (wires look fine to me) and I pretty much did not abuse it. Maybe I'll just hold on to them till the summer and do the plugs then just since I will have the the NGK's already.

:rolleyes: maybe I should have thought about it a little longer before ordering, but hey I was anxious and wanted to start dressing-up/ doing some Preventive Maintenace on my engine.

hmm maybe it wont be to late to cancel them... I make call SWA tonight to see if the order shipped.

What ever you do dont tell my wife I did not need them :D

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
^^^ You should have bought the WAI instead :D

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
^^^lol
So you holding out on us? What else did you buy? :)

·
The Other Fella
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahh Well hmmm

flarearrow said:
^^^lol
So you holding out on us? What else did you buy? :)
I ordered a WAI / NKG Wires/ and some xenon Fog bulbs <-- I wanted to try this first, that's it. I got caught up in the moment. I was only suppose to get the WAI but added the other items to my bag. :p

I need to save my lunch money now, for my tint / plugs/ etc. God having the plastic is a killer. Thank god I only use Amex, or my wife would kick my ass. I actually was looking at a muffler too.;)

Well I will update when it comes and installed. But still wondering about the wires, I should have waited.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Re: Ahh Well hmmm

Altima2kSE said:
I ordered... some xenon Fog bulbs
DOH! I hope you didn't buy these under the impression that they're going to be brighter then stock.

Altima2kSE said:
Thank god I only use Amex, or my wife would kick my ass.
LOL! :lol:

Altima2kSE said:
I actually was looking at a muffler too.;)
You can't go wrong with the Magnaflow Street Series. Inexpensive, a good quality product, and a good exhaust tone/note. Just make sure you find a competent muffler shop to do the install.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Re: dunno know for sure if they are.

Altima2kSE said:
But yeah I thought they would be brighter. Artic White I think they are? I could not find the Heliolite 881's or what ever, so I figure I give these a shot. I sure hope they are brighter than Stock!:confused: oh well back to work for me. Later Flare
I hate to disaapoint. The stock 881L that came with our cars run at 37.5 watts. The 881's you just bought are likely running at 27 watts (normal wattage for a regular 881 bulb). Add that to the fact the bulb has a heavy blue tint, they're not going to be bright. But let's hope that the bulb are running higher at like 50 watts.

But I think you might like the brightness from my fogs. I'm using 886's (I think that's the number) which run at 50 watts stock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts