The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Compared to regular air filters you can pick up?

Are there really any performance gains, or are you basically just picking up an air filter that will save you money in the long run by being able to just re-use it?

Also, performance-wise, if I put in a K&N air filter, along with a magnaflow muffler with 2.25 piping under, would I really notice anything?

Also are cone filters [California] street legal?

Thankies~!

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
K&N drop ins will make a difference. Though not like a WAI or CAI. They are much better than plain old paper filters. They flow alot better.

·
14,455 Posts
I have a k&n drop in and i run 18.1 in the 1/4!! :D

But seriously, my mileage is great with it. I can get ~425miles to the tank doing all highway without a problem... and i have 142k on my car :cool:

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I have 3 questions, one probably really stupid...

Are there any aftermarket air intake systems that are California street legal, that have the CARB stickers and have been certified or whatever to be California street legal that I could put in?

And now the stupid one...

A K&N air filter would be legal, right?

Also...

From courtesyparts.com under the 1998-2001 Altima section, it had a cone pop charger air filter or whatever, and it seems to be a nissan dealer, though of Texas, is that legal for California?

Thankies~!

·
Registered
318 Posts
K&N's are 100% legal and if you have the money get a K&N typhoon intake THAT WILL GIVE YOU A BOOST i would take that over ANY intake

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I search through the K&N website I can only find 2 things for my Altima, an air filter, and an oil filter...

Are there any performance mods I can do that are California street legal?

·
young & stupid
3,685 Posts
if u were lookin for a cai or wai, u can just use the piping from a hs or pr or for wai, the adaptor, and throw on a 3' k&n filter...will cost alot more but if u really want the k&n

u should also ask the cali question in the regional forum...i'm sure there are mods that are legal or half of cali will fail emission

·
Got Coffee?
373 Posts
I have a warm air intake and there is a difference...

As for the magnaflow, 2.25 to the cat, I have that as well and you will notice a difference. It is fun and sounds great. You have to keep one thing in mind though- your not driving a Porche, and bolt-ons will never make it one.

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm stock right now...

Thinking of going 2.25 magnaflow, thought about the Greddy catback, but it's so expensive in comparison, so is it really worth it?

·
Got Coffee?
373 Posts
IONO_1998_GXE said:
I'm stock right now...

Thinking of going 2.25 magnaflow, thought about the Greddy catback, but it's so expensive in comparison, so is it really worth it?
It's worth it to me, I don't know how you feel about things. I love the sound of my car. With the Magnaflow it is only loud at certain RPM's, and cruzing noise is not bad at all. In other words, it's loud when you want it to be. No raspiness either, just good deep sound.

As far as performance is concerned my car is a little fast than stock. To make a huge difference I would get the high flow cat, header, and underdrive pulley (wich I hope to have in the future), but for now I like the set up.

Ask yourself this question- do you want to drive a modded car or a completely stock car? The fact that your on this forum and asking probobly answers that question for you, so yes it is deffinitely worth it.

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mnaic said:
Ask yourself this question- do you want to drive a modded car or a completely stock car? The fact that your on this forum and asking probobly answers that question for you
True...

So very very true...

^_____^

·
Registered
384 Posts
Go with the Injen short ram intake. It has the CARB sticker on it, and I promise you won't be disappointed with the performance!

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ It's California street legal? Right? ^

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
YAY~!

A legal mod~!

Right?

Looking through different sites, it says I have to send for the CARB sticker, has anyone had any problems with that?

Also, for everyone else, it IS legal, right?

The Injen short ram intake, or whatever, are there any others?

How much of a performance boost can I expect? Yay~!

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, which of those would be the best in performance gain, as well as being California street legal?

Or am I better off putting on a few decals on my car to make it go faster?

^_^

1 - 20 of 25 Posts