The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sure as hell looks tight without ramps or jackstands. Seems like a pain in my lazy a$$ to just change the oil and wacked located filter.

I'd really appreciate any tips you altima owners have figured out over the years changing your own oil. Do I really need to use ramps? Thanks.

·
11,384 Posts
Yes, I use ramps. I'm on Sprints, and I can't get under the car to do shit without ramps or jackstandes. I have to put a piece of plywood in fron of the ramps so my car can get up them.

USe the ramps, drain the oil, then pour an extra quart, or half a quart, through with the drain plug out to get all the dirty oil out.

Make sure you get the little copper washer for the drain plug from the dealership. You are supposed to change it every time. They're like 10 cents.

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
i use ramps... and when I drain, I blow air into the top.. more oil comes sputtering out...

Also, look where the oil filter is and put paper towels around everything directly beneath it.. then twist the towel into a point so that when oil spills from the filter, it hits the paper towel and runs down the point you made... less mess this way.

And I've never changed the washer in any car.. never had an oil leak from the plug either... may be $.10, but if its good, don't sweat it...

·
Official Troll
2,695 Posts
My car is not lowered, and I still have to roll onto some 2" x 8" 's before I have enough clearance to roll up my ramps.

I never thought of pouring clean oil through, or blowing air into the engine. Victor, what do you use? Would a hairdryer do the trick?

And about the oil filter... my oil filter wrench is too big to grab the filter. I put on some latex gloves, the kind used for washing dishes, and that provides me with the grip to remove and put on a new filter. To catch the oil coming out of the filter, I place rags on top of the axle(?), under the filter.... let the oil drip onto the rag, and it runs off the rag into the pan.

I don't like using the copper washer. I bought a bunch of fiberglass washers from my Toyota dealer. Toyota's use a fiberglass washer for their drainplug. And it's reusable. They're good for like 5-6 oil changes.

·
Former Alty Owner
704 Posts
I wish I could use ramps.. I'm on ground controls and have the stillen lip.. no way I can get the alty on the ramps with out raising the gc's first.. too much of a hassle.

I just jack it up with a 3 ton jack and put supports under it.. then i just get up under there and fight to change the oil.. takes me about 20 - 30 mins.. the oil filter removal/installation is the killer man.. you nearly have to twist and turn your arm into wierd shapes and shit in order to turn that bitch...

lol.. sorry.. that shlt just gets to me...lol :D

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
flarearrow said:

I never thought of pouring clean oil through, or blowing air into the engine. Victor, what do you use? Would a hairdryer do the trick?
no I just stand over the oil cap hole and blow air in small spurts thru my mouth. You will hear the oil come out with every breath.. I will do about 5-12 shots, then put the plug back on and away I go....

don't do long sustained breaths cuz you might get dizzy.. :D

Sounds messed up, but I don't waste an extra qt (seeing as how the prices keep going up) and you do get some more out... the more the merrier.

·
Official Troll
2,695 Posts
victor said:
no I just stand over the oil cap hole and blow air in small spurts thru my mouth. You will hear the oil come out with every breath.. I will do about 5-12 shots, then put the plug back on and away I go....

don't do long sustained breaths cuz you might get dizzy.. :D
I think I'll try the hairdryer, and let you know what happens :D

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
flarearrow said:

I think I'll try the hairdryer, and let you know what happens :D
that's fine... I've never wanted to do any kind of hard blown air... but I think a hair dryer should be ok.. just not an air gun..

·
ASE certified wiseass
174 Posts
I must be a freak of nature.

I NEVER use ramps. I always use jack stands. I had a ramp collapse on me and I never would do it again.

I change the oil when the car is hot. It is harder on the hands, but the garbage hasn't settled out yet and you get it out of the system.

I don't pour any extra oil through since I am using Mobil1 I don't want to waste the extra $4.50 a QT.

Sometimes I pull the passenger side wheel and I can reach everything from the whellwell. Don't even have to crawl underneath.

I also rotate the tires every oil change so that's another reason why I use a jack. (Actually two floor jacks).

Randy

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
djsassan said:
Why not try using a can of compressed air, like they use for cleaning computers? High pressure, easy to use.
anything harder than a normal breath, I'd think would jam small particles in places you don't want..

besides.. your own breath is cheaper compared to a can of compressed air at every oil change...

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
altise said:
They have a lift at the dealership that does a pretty good job of getting the car off the ground :D
and they also have a pretty means to jack your wallet out of your pocket too... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is my first NEW car so I'm gonna try to complete the PM schedule from Nissan. . .I've made it one year and and completed my 30,000 mile check-up. Guess what the cost for the 30k checkup was. . .almost $300! I'm playing my cards to see if it's really going to pay off come trade-in time or not. . .

I'm hoping that with a solid maintanance record, I can get more for it wether trade-in or private sale a few years down the road. . .we'll see. . .

·
Tofu Shop Owner
781 Posts
No, I have ramps, but I don't use them for oil changes... They're only ~$50 per pair, so it's not that bad. I just jack up the passenger side front. I can even get to the oil-filter pretty easily, so I usually don't bother with the ramps.

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
altise said:
This is my first NEW car so I'm gonna try to complete the PM schedule from Nissan. . .I've made it one year and and completed my 30,000 mile check-up. Guess what the cost for the 30k checkup was. . .almost $300! I'm playing my cards to see if it's really going to pay off come trade-in time or not. . .

I'm hoping that with a solid maintanance record, I can get more for it wether trade-in or private sale a few years down the road. . .we'll see. . .
that's what they want for mine...

I might do the Tranny service there, but coolant flush, everything else, I'll do myself.... might save some bucks... especially the coolant.. considering coolant costs $5, and they want $50-75.. then the fuel filter change I will do...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts