The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did a custom 2.25 and took out the cat and have a straight muffler. the thing was loud and sounded like "bees in a can" (who taught me that line). so i put the resoantor back in. its a straight pipe but thicker so the air passes through stuff, no idea what its called. but does it affect the back pressure or just sound.

·
Die Trying
2,554 Posts
it affects the sound as well as the performance. You basically lost half the gains of putting on larger pipe and a performance muffler. The resonators are very restrictive. You were better off with it off. If you don't really care about speed and perfromance, then you're g2g

·
See ya on the flipside...
464 Posts
I took my resonator off and have 2.25" piping from the cat back. I found out that I have a ton of torque steer after the exhaust change out. Laterz.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that sucks to hear. i might have to get the dyno max super turbo muffler. the noise before was nasty. so it should be header w/ 2.25 straight and a dyno max super turbo. would that be the ideal set up w/o too much noise and all the posssible gain?

·
Banned
657 Posts
you might wanna put a glass pack rather than a resonator, but I have 2.25" piping and no resonators w/ dynomax super turbo. I can barely hear any difference from the factory exhaust until I hit about 3000 rpm from outside of the car. I can definetley feel the rumble now in the car but from the outside it's hardly loud.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what is a glass pack

·
Resistance is futile
1,952 Posts
I sorta have a feeling what he described having on there WAS a glass pack. Here's a Thrush.

I have a cheap-ass aluminized one from JCWhitney that is basically the same, where my resonators used to be, and a Sper Turbo out the back. Used to just be straight pipe to the muffler, but I wanted it quieter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the resonator that i put in is the same deal. it was a straight pipe and the center hole measured almost the same size as the piping, its about 2.08. so were talking the same deal right??

im gonna dyno her today and see if there was a difference. i did 147 hp and 142 torque last time i checked.

·
Resistance is futile
1,952 Posts
vindeisel said:
does resonated or non resonated produce a noise? I know that one is loeder, but uncertain which one
In the case of exhaust, a resonator reduces noise. It's probably not really named properly. The exhaust comes down the pipe from the engine in pulses, or waves of pressure. Several thousand per minute. The result is a droning noise at certain RPMs, based on many variables. The resonator gives these a place to expand and dampens them before they get to the muffler. My drone was right around 2400RPM or so, which made it annoying at highway speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts