The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually in the morn I hear this faint hissing sound and I've checked all hoses in and around fuel injection and no leaks...any ideas out there?:(

·
Registered
18 Posts
man i thought i was the only one with that sound, dont know what it is yet checked every were 2

·
ItalianStallion
325 Posts
a wai can make a sucking/hissing sound. Its normal i think. Mine does it when im cruising(not accelerating but still on gas a little) . if it really bugs you some kind of insullation would help, but take away the power the wai got cha.

·
Resident Toker
173 Posts
i have hear a hissing sound too im not too worried about mine though it's only at full throttle and when my bottle is open

·
Nympho
176 Posts
my friends 93 g20 does this same thing... it always has since he bought it last year... he had it checked several times.. and the only thing they ever did was make it worse.. i think on some nissan engines.. ka24de and sr20de it just simply happens... its been a problem with many nissans that i have read and seen. live it out... i hear it cant hurt anything.. yet my friend does need motormounts... that could help a bit?

·
Slow & Low
142 Posts
Uhhh... That hissing is just air going into the engine.... when your at idle the throttle plate is near a closed position, the air is trying to flow by causing a hissing. With a warm air intake this noise is exagerated because you no longer have the airbox and baffles to tone it down. All that plastic crap in your fender to the airbox is there for that reason.

·
M3MB3R @ LA®G3
308 Posts

Im here thinking that it may also be a vacuum leak, becuz that was once very apparent on my 94, my mechanic had gone around with that little stethoscope tube thingy and listened to where the hissing was coming from, it was from behind the engine, it was a lottle hose that on one of the bends, had a little slit, perhaps because the hose had gotten old or malformed becus of the constant heat in the engine bay.

Raul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hissing sound...

Thank you all for your prompt reply, everyone is sooooo helpful glad to be apart of a great team! By the way, this altima is bone stock and I am currently upgrading everything electrical. Does everyone thing I should go with MSD or Accel for my ignition coil?

RZA, I have a question for you. What hose are you referreing to?

·
M3MB3R @ LA®G3
308 Posts
Re: Hissing sound...

xtreme-al"T"ma said:
RZA, I have a question for you. What hose are you referreing to?
Its a little hose that is behing the engine towards the centeralmost towards the lower half, more or less. Im trying to remember the best I can, that the general location which you should look.

Raul

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
PaceCar said:
Uhhh... That hissing is just air going into the engine.... when your at idle the throttle plate is near a closed position, the air is trying to flow by causing a hissing.
So, the way to get rid of the hiss is MASH the gas, man!:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
actually, that hissing sound is that little needle in the mass air sensor, when air enters the mass air sensor it vibrates that little needle :rolleyes:

·
Former Alty Owner
704 Posts
That hissing sound cost my warranty 400 dollars.. ;)

I had that hissing for quite some time til it finally got real loud. A strong "tttssssssssssss" sound.. it is continuous.. It seems to be near the top of the intake hose.. where the intake goes into the physical engine.. Anyway, I took it to my technician and he sprayed the Intake manifold gasket area with Brake Cleaner fluid.. The fluid caused the engine to sputter just a tad.. almost undetectable.. This was caused by the fluid passing thru into the intake manifold thru a vacuum leak!

My intake manifold gasket had a leak. He changed the gasket and I no longer hear that hissing...

It's not the WAI.. The WAI makes a hissing sound but a different one.

Spray some brake cleaner fluid onto the area where the intake manifold attaches to your engine... if your engine sputters or dips slightly in rpms by spraying it.. You sir, have a nice intake manifold leak. Get ready for a hefty repair bill if you want it fixed.

Raul.. you need to quit ignoring me and contact me somehow.. you post everyday yet don't email or contact me..

that is messed up bro..

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
mine has the hissing sound also. It sounds good though. Its from the intake.... like pacecar said.... its cuz all that extra plastic insulated sound is not there..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts