The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted Aim Industries about an air bag suspension kit and they make one for our cars. I have been checking around and there is not many companys that are making them for the 3rd gen altimas. This is what the email said

full kit as follows:
frt/rear air struts(bolton)
6gallon airtank w/pressure switch
1/3hp 100 % duty cycle compressor with breaker kit
4-way 175 psi 3-way valves
airlines 3/8" kit & fittings
switch box
gauges
oiler/h20 filters
$1690 to the door

I don't know much about these kits and really don't know if this is a good kit or if it is everything that you need for a complete kit. I would appreciate any information and comments that you might have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the look of a slammed car and the freedom to be able to drive it over speed bumps without smashing off my bumper.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that the alignments will be messed up but I really need some info as to weather or not Aim Industries makes a reliable kit and if anyone has had any experience with them before. Any info would be helpful.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the kit, but it needed to be custom made and I havent had time to install it yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did they charge you the same price as they are giving me on the kit? Also how long did it take for you to recieve the kit after you ordered it?

·
Proud Owner
544 Posts
I don't believe you guys are very familiar with airbags. Airbags usually (when designed correctly) are very reliable. And as far as alignment, that has a lot to do with how they are set up. The height at which you drive the car (which the system can be set to returned to) usually doesn't wear excessively on the suspension/tires. And the true benifit of dumping the car is only for when the car is not moving. Oh and it also makes the car ride nicer and doesn't compromise to much in the way of handling. Now everything I said is relying on the fact the system is designed correctly and it uses quality parts. Also think of it this way, semi-trucks use them and so they can't be that bad.

·
Registered
79 Posts
altimania said:
Did they charge you the same price as they are giving me on the kit? Also how long did it take for you to recieve the kit after you ordered it?
Mine I think was roughly 3K. The regular kits that they sell are minimum. But I upgraded to better valves, two high end compressors with regulators, 2- gallon tanks, associated fittings with the new setup, and a playstation controller (which i want to crack open and replace with an Xbox controller).

Mine took roughly 4 months I think. Like I said, they found out that the kit they made was not going to fit, so they had to redo the kit. I got the air strut kit, but the rear of the altima 2002 suspension is different from the standard suspension that the air strut was supposed to made for. Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maddysdaddy7:

How do you know what height to set the vehicle in order to have the right setup? Also if done right will the height stay constant driving down the road or will you have to keep messing with it all of the time? How do you think that it would perform on long trips?

altm8:

Sounds like you spent alot more money than I was thinking about. Does the regular kit just suck or did you just want something alot more elaborate? Also I hope that it doesn't take them that long to make a kit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
altimania said:

altm8:

Sounds like you spent alot more money than I was thinking about. Does the regular kit just suck or did you just want something alot more elaborate? Also I hope that it doesn't take them that long to make a kit.
The regular kit is the minimum. Think about it, your suspension is one of the most important parts of your car, if you are going to mess with it, you might as well use parts that are above minimum. You can go ahead and buy the cheaper kit, but in the long run we can compare who is satisfied with their setup and who spent more. I have 3 cars with adjustable suspension and Ive made the mistake in the past to go with cheaper parts. The labor was more because I had to reinstall them more than once, and when you consider the performance and reliability, you get what you pay for. I spend $1200 on my first kit only to buy a better one for twice that and pay again for the installation. Im not saying the cheap kit is bad, I'm saying its cheap for a reason. If you want to customize and still have safety, performance, and reliability in mind, it wont be cheap.

Think about it like paying $250 for a cheap 2000W amp. The price is cheap but you will eventually buy a better amp and have to reinstall your sounds again, plus you might be hurting your electrical system and alternator in the process.

Important note: If your sounds break down, you can still drive home, if your suspension breaks down ... you will be playing your music waiting for the tow truck. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts