The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 gxe stick shift.When i shift my car it sort of chokes when i give it gas and with loss of horse power. Could it be feathering the clutch or something to do with the air/fuel ratio. It doesn't do it all the time but it's kind of annoying when it does happen. does anyone know? thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sounds like possible oxygen sensor to me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
how hard is it to change an oxygen sensor?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
are u asking on how to change it or just being saracastic? anyway i think these cars have two senors : 1} their a sensor is by the exhuastmanifold and 2}theirs one also on the exhuastpipe in the back of the engine , I think. to remove all u have to do is unscrew and screw in a new one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Exactly, but I would bring it to a shop you trast and tell them to check it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
NO I was asking. I have heard from some that it was easy others said too hard to do it myself. The thing is I bought an NGK one because a mchanic reccommeded changing it beacaus my car has 138K and it could help me get better milage he says.

No sarcasm though.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
quicksilver1 said:
I have a 94 gxe stick shift.When i shift my car it sort of chokes when i give it gas and with loss of horse power. Could it be feathering the clutch or something to do with the air/fuel ratio. It doesn't do it all the time but it's kind of annoying when it does happen. does anyone know? thanks
When is the last time you had a tune-up? Plugs, wires, etc?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i had my tune up about 3 mths ago, plugs+ wire i put in what i've always put in ngk platiums and wires.iI do my oil change every three months which i already did it a 2weeks ago. Could it be any thing else.I would really like to know on how the O2 senor can cause the car to do that. I thought the O2 senors when it becomes defective the check engine light would come on.Can anyone explain this to me ....,I would appreciate it. thanks

·
Resistance is futile
1,952 Posts
I believe your 94 would only have one O2 sensor. If I remember, the OBDII cars have 2 sensors. Not sure what year that started with, though.
Check/clean your MAF sensor.
Check/adjust TPS.
Fuel injector cleaning, perhaps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
could it possible be my clutch ,it still has a lot of pressure but it could be possible that its worned out and not gripping .where do i find the MAF senor and the TPS and how do i adjust it. thanks

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
With the o2 sensor there is a +/- range that it will operate in. it could be just about ready to fail but hasn't reached the factory set limit.

I would also check your cat/precat to see if they are pluged.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
quicksilver1 said:
could it possible be my clutch ,it still has a lot of pressure but it could be possible that its worned out and not gripping .where do i find the MAF senor and the TPS and how do i adjust it. thanks
If the clutch was slipping, when you let out the pedal the car would feel like it's not going anywhere while the engine revs.

I have to go along with the idea that fuel system cleaning along with a fuel filter change might help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
when i shift and give it gas t{ this usually happens from 1st to 2nd and sometimes to 3rd} the engine revs <like its racing { the rpm needle goes up in stead of drecreasing} . It sort of stalls for a few then takes off. thats why i asked could it be also the clutch , i m just.:confused:and would like as much info before i take action to solve the problem ... thanks

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
best thing for you to do is to take it to Nissan and ask them to check the car over and give you an estimate. depending on what it might actually be, i'd go elsewhere to have it repaired. They don't have to and shouldn't do work on it until you okay it

a good example is Nissan quoted me $800 Can to replace my cat in the engine bay! Richard at Brullen Exhaust said he'd do it for half the price and install a high flow cat underneath the car and replace my downpipe to match the piping of my cat-back.

if it's clutch work I'd prolly find someone else to do it and get a better clutch then oem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts