The Nissan Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does filling up your tank noticeably reduce mileage due to weight of the fuel? Estimates vary but at 20 gallon tank that's about 160-200 pounds of fuel.

I usually fill up half a tank at a gas station 2 blocks away but wondering if I should fill up each time. 1/2 tank usually lasts me a week so I don't want to drive with a full tank. A friend said something once about low gas levels(1/2 tank or less) can cause some issues with fuel pump.

Please let me know the pros and cons of either way.

Thanks.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,767 Posts
Im gonna say the difference would be so small you would not notice.........Especially on the highway

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

forgot to mention i usually have about 200-400 pounds of cargo and usually a passenger so that is why I wanted to see if it would make a difference.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Does filling up your tank noticeably reduce mileage due to weight of the fuel? Estimates vary but at 20 gallon tank that's about 160-200 pounds of fuel.

I usually fill up half a tank at a gas station 2 blocks away but wondering if I should fill up each time. 1/2 tank usually lasts me a week so I don't want to drive with a full tank. A friend said something once about low gas levels(1/2 tank or less) can cause some issues with fuel pump.

Please let me know the pros and cons of either way.

Thanks.
I have an idea...one that will not cost you anything extra.

Why don't YOU experiment by filling YOUR tank with gasoline and seeing if YOUR gas mileage changes?

Pretty simple, isn't it?

·
Remi 12 - 2.5SL
90 Posts
It's a tradeoff. When the tank is full, you will have a fractionally reduced mileage. When it's low, it will likely increase by a similar fractional amount. I can't tell where you are from, but if it's anywhere that temperatures swing quite a bit, the emptier the tank, the more surface area for condensation to form. Condensation is water. Water does not burn very well in the engine.

·
Registered Boozer
310 Posts
A gallon of gas is somewhere between 6-6.5 pounds. So best case scenario, you're saving 65 pounds for filling up the tank only half way. Not worth most people's time.

Pros: Your car is 60-65 pounds lighter.

Cons: You can only go half as far as a full tank before needing to fill up.

Thought nugget: Does the extra trip to the gas station 2 blocks away burn more or less fuel than the negligible amount of fuel saved by filling the tank half-way?

·
Registered
488 Posts
What you gain in less weight 1/2 tank is most likely lost or varied do to change in driving conditions and behavior ,it wouldn't amount to enought of a savings to justify only filling up half way ,thats one extra trip for gas to refill the other half.

2014 Altima SS

·
Registered
90 Posts
Interesting question.
car racing is all about carrying the least amount of gas to get the job done as part of weight reduction.

Instead of calculating the weight savings per week, show us the weight savings for a YEAR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts