The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Girl-Moderator
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does ignition(exJacobs Ice Pack) make that big a difference? I'm in the process of doing a motor build up. Trying to add every bolt on but want to get the most bang for my buck. Header is on it's way from the group buy, Catco hi-flow cat already sitting in our house, 2.25" stainless piping coming too as soon as the header gets here. Already have a Tsudo performance muffler on. UR pulley was ordered from Courtesy and MSD fuel pressure regulator also from Summit. Car currently has NGK plugs,Ractive 9mm wires, and Ractive WAI. Shorty shifter as well. The next mod I was looking at is ignition, but is it worth it, cuz it's like $300-$400? I'm not looking to go CAI right now either. If anything I will wait for Alex's to come out. But my preference is WAI right now.I'm not looking to go NOS just yet. Want to try to go all motor first. Pistons may come at some time, but it will be expensive due to re-machining the motor. Thoughts? Feedback? Suggestions?

·
Registered
25 Posts
ignition is definatly worth it. you will only gain like 3-5 hp to the wheels but you will get better throttle response and complete fuel combustion. if you are going to go all motor, what type of compression ratio are you going to use?? also you could advance your ignition timing for a little better performance.

·
*Honorary Member* Bass&Style is all U need.
3,923 Posts
What's the difference between Jacob's and MSD?

·
Behold the Power of HID!!
310 Posts
I have the MSD system not Jacobs...and I think it was worth it. I spent like $200 on the parts MSD 6a ignition and MSD Blaster 2 coil. Throttle response was noticeably different (not big but noticeable) and gas mileage went up a bit...which is always good! :D As for the diff. between Jacobs and MSD i here people say that Jacobs is alot better but Im happy with what i got!!

G

·
Carlton said:
ignition is definatly worth it. you will only gain like 3-5 hp to the wheels but you will get better throttle response and complete fuel combustion. if you are going to go all motor, what type of compression ratio are you going to use?? also you could advance your ignition timing for a little better performance.

all good except for the part of advancing the timing. if u get jacobs ice pak, it handles timing by itself. ur timing needs to be at the stock 20 degrees when the ice pak goes in. i think jacobs is better than msd because jacobs guarantees a 7-10hp gain in altys. msd doesn't guarantee shit. i have msd in my car now. i get good gas mileage and a little increased throttle response. i'm gonna take it out and go with the jacobs tho.

·
Resistance is futile
1,952 Posts
To turn this topic into a two-part question, we're all familiar with the Jacobs IcePak, Mileage Master, etc.
But does anyone know anything about their FireControl units? I mean besides what is advertised. Whitneys has them for well under $200.

Also, anyone got an ignition on a newer Alty with the goofy-ass coil-in-cap arrangement?

·
Girl-Moderator
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good info. thanks. Now, where did you get your Jacobs pack? How much was it? I will probably not do this till Novemeber when we have some more cash to spend after this stuff we're putting in right now! (header,exhaust,pulley,fuel pressure regulator).

·
Girl-Moderator
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I plan to go some type of N.O.S. at some time but want to get all the motor mods out of the way first. Hopefully by the beginning of the year I'll be spraying.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts