The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Altima owners

I picked up my 3.5SE on Last Friday and am truly enjoying my new car.

However, I have a few small things to ask before I bring my car to dealer for check.

1. There is hard to catch mechanical noise. It is neither engine noise nor wind noise. But, it is there. It is hard to describe the sound of noise, but I can hear it at both low speed and highway driving. Is there anyone who had strange noise?

2. Since I need engine break-in, I haven't tried to press it hard. On highway at speed about 80mph(130kph), the wind noise (whistling sound) starts. I know almost every car with sunroof have similar problem depending on build-quality. However, I want to know whether "sunroof wind deflector" may help to reduce this wind noise.

3. The steering wheel is little lighter than I expected. However, it may be because I have driven Honda Civic with no power steering. I have noticed that my car slowly goes to right if I let go the steering on highway. Is it something I need to bring it to dealer to adjust?

·
Be very afraid...
4,511 Posts
Often, when a car feels like it is pulling to the right on a highway or other large (wide) road, it is because the roadway is crowned or sloped towards the outside for water drainage. If it is a divided highway with a median, try driving down the very center when there are no other cars nearby and see if it acts better.

Do you get the wind/whistling noise with the sunroof closed tightly?

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 3.5 se also has some wind noise, the dealer said they would adjust the sunroof and it should fix the prob. Also the radio is picking up some engine noise. I have the Bose unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still some noise

Yes, I still get some wind noise after I close sunroof and inside cover at speed of 80 mph or faster.

If you purchased the wind deflector, how much did you pay?

Dave

·
Registered
113 Posts
Its been my experience that sunroof deflectors look kinda sporty, and allow you to have the sunroof open at higher speeds without wind gushing into the car, but actually cause more noise when the sunroof is closed. Thats just my experience with them.

Kevin

·
Banned
0 Posts
I dunno how much the dealer sells wind deflectors for, but I can get an aftermarket one for about $35, so retail should be no more than $50 for an aftermarket one.

·
Be very afraid...
4,511 Posts
I would think that the deflector would just cause more wind noise at speed if you've got the sunroof closed anyway. It's an extra hump on top of the roof that destroys the aerodynamics over the car. I think the car looks sleeker without it, so I've never put one on.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sunroof Wind Deflector

My SE V6 came with the deflector already installed. While not too bad looking, I prefer the lines of the car and roof without it, so I tried a little test last Saturday. I went out on an interstate and took the car up to 70MPH. Then I opened the sunroof. There was not wind intruding into the cabin, and no buffeting, and the noise was low.

I took the car home and removed the deflector, then took it back out onto the same piece of highway. When I opened the sunroof, there was a very noticeable amount of wind getting into the cabin with the associated buffeting, and a significant increase in wind noise.

Since it is close to winter around here, I am going to leave the deflector off of the roof. It will just collect crap.. leaves, etc. When the nice weather returns, I'll re-install it so I can use the sunroof and enjoy everything.

One more thing. With everything closed up, I didn't notice any extra wind noise with the deflector installed at speed. Must be a decent design for the vehicle.

Paul V
2002 Alty
Silver/Charcoal
214CID V6
Manual trans

·
Registered
74 Posts
wind

I also have noise while driving at high speeds but we are also talking over 110 which i some how seem to do daily now going to work. But the wind deflector made the noise MUCH worse at high speeds.. i would not recomend getting this unless you want it for the look....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: wind

ppeter78 said:
I also have noise while driving at high speeds but we are also talking over 110 which i some how seem to do daily now going to work. But the wind deflector made the noise MUCH worse at high speeds.. i would not recomend getting this unless you want it for the look....
Thank you! I have tried and tried to tell folks on here that a deflector will not reduce the noise from the sunroof. The purpose of the deflector is to deflect the wind and allow you to roll down the highway with the roof open without feeling like you're in a tornado! There is really only one way to lower the noise....don't get a sunroof!

Kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts