The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good A.M,
I am changing my plugs this weekend on my 01 GXE (I have the hayes and am learning this stuff as i go, take it easy on me) and the wires. Can you pros give me some advice or anything to look out for that could cause a problem. Many Thanks,
Brian

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
Just take your time, and replace ONE plug and wire at a time. \
Don't tighten the spark plugs down too much
use anti-sieze thread stuff
pull at the boot, not the wire

·
Rockin the Le Bra
1,016 Posts
everything sexygxe said. dont overtighten the plugs cuz u dont want to strip the threads in the head. if you dont have a torque wrench, tighten em down snugly.

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
oh yeah, and get the special spark plug tool...it make extraction from the engine easy.

·
"Victory Is Mine"
535 Posts
get a retractable magnet (like a radio antenta with a little magnet on top) pulls the plugs up nice. NGK plugs and wires are nice.

·
The Don.
6,151 Posts
Keep one of the those spark plug wires you are replacing around. Clip off the extra plug wire. Now you can use it to remove or install the spark plug back. This is handy when you are having problems with the spark plug socket grabbing or letting go of the spark plug.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Definitely change the cap and rotor while you are at it...its $30 from Nissan for OEM parts. If its your first time, take your time. It takes me only 10 mins tops to do it, but I've done it a million times now.

Very easy to do. Good luck!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Pulski said:
My cap and rotor was $22 at the dealer. :) Everyone's right though, swap 'em out at the same time. Once you have the plug wires off, it's like 4-5 screws to swap the cap and rotor. It's about the easiest job you'll ever do on a car.
Its more like two screws on the distributor cap and one on the rotor

1 - 13 of 13 Posts