The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
say when.....
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What up guys? Having some issues w/ running DOOM 3 on my laptop. It has a P4 2.4 ghz processor, with 512 megs of ram, and an ATI 64 meg video card.

The game is running so slow and choppy. Is this beater needing replaced, or what? I have been waiting for this game for a long time, and can't seem to play it at all! Nothing nice!

Please give me your thoughts........

·
carputer owns you
766 Posts
your video card blows. Thats why it is running so crappy. I have an ATI 9700 Pro and I can only run at 1280x1024 at high quality. You will need the latest card to run doom 3 at its potential. Your total system specs do help run the game but the load of it is on the video card.

·
say when.....
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know the sad thing is.................I just upgraded it to the 64, from a 32 meg card. I wanted to go w/ a better card, but DELL said anything stronger would fry my board. Is that the case??

·
Smell it, fools...
1,728 Posts
My Desktop is:

Tbird 1.33Ghz
512 PC133 ram
Geforce 3 ti200

And I can still play doom 3 at the lowest resolution... :D

I was actually pretty impresed that it is playable, then again, I have yet to see more than one zombie at a time. When doodoo finally hits the fan, my PC will choke.

·
carputer owns you
766 Posts
bigirish said:
You know the sad thing is.................I just upgraded it to the 64, from a 32 meg card. I wanted to go w/ a better card, but DELL said anything stronger would fry my board. Is that the case??

Do you by any chance know any specs on your motherboard? Like if it runs an agp slot, and if that slot can run at 4x/8x? If you board isn't 8x compatible might as well not waste your money on a new vid card until you upgrade the motherboard.

My desktop:
AMD XP2800+
1 gb Dual Channel DDR PC2700
ATI ALL in wonder Radeon 9700Pro(top o line when I bought it less than a year ago)

Even with all that I can only run at high quality. And it is a little jumpy when a lot of things are happening on screen. DOOM 3 seems to be a very demanding game.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I would encourage you to goto ati's website and download the latest driver. I believe they have a catalyst driver for doom 3 that was tuned for it....

·
say when.....
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DJkhan:

I really don't know what the specs are for this board. This is my first laptop, and changing the video card took a little more work then I was used to. Wishing I would have gotten another desktop instead, as I would probably not be in this situation :) Oh well, wanted the laptop for my wireless router.

·
Thought Police Officer
564 Posts
Ouch! I personally wouldn't recommend playing any high-quality game on a laptop...Even if your graphics card could churn its way thru Doom 3 properly (and 64MB is the minimum requirement), think of the heat that would be generated! No way in hell your little system fan could keep up to such temps in such a small enclosure.

I used to have a Toshiba with a GeForce420 Go, 16MB. Pathetic to say the least, but it could play every game I had until I acquired KotOR. At that point I realized that desktop was the way to go. I built my own, with high-quality components and a 19" CRT, for just under $950. My videocard now has 256MB, and it certainly can play D3 at the high settings smoothly (I choose to play it at 640x480 - it is an action game after all; speed is my priority, and the game still looks fantastic).

Can't do Ultra - you really need a 512MB card for it, and those don't exist yet.

For those interested, my specs:

P4 Northwood, 2.8Ghz, 512k L2
512MB DDR400 RAM
GeForceFX 5700LE, 256MB
SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS
120GB HD
8X DVD-/+RW
Floppy drive for old times' sake

I got lucky...my younger sister just started college, so she needed a laptop. Guess who came to her rescue with a FULLY set-up PC for only $450??

I think you should look into selling or pawning the lappie to offset the cost of your new MONSTER MACHINE.

·
say when.....
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
GcDiaz said:

I think you should look into selling or pawning the lappie to offset the cost of your new MONSTER MACHINE.
Yeah, I am looking at newegg trying to piece together a new system that will suit my gaming needs.

Check this site out re: Doom 3 hardware tests/comparisons..

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6104596/index.html

Ryan

·
carputer owns you
766 Posts
actually the only laptop that i know you can change a full blown graphics card into it is the alienware one.

·
Thought Police Officer
564 Posts
Yeah, and you're paying one hell of a premium for such a simple option...plus you can't upgrade anything else except RAM. Take it from a born-again desktopper...laptops are not meant for gaming. They are tools for business, not pleasure.

·
say when.....
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GcDiaz said:
r...laptops are not meant for gaming. They are tools for business, not pleasure.
Well put, bro!

·
ka24eT....upgrade soon
823 Posts
I play doom 3 on my laptop and it plays just fine on low detail which still looks amazing.

specs are..

inspiron 5150

P4 3.06ghz
512mb ram
64mb GeForceGo FX 5200

laptop gets hot, but the game dosent studder unless Im getting attacked by more then 3 things at the same time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts