The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Title beneath my name
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fisrt off i drive an auto, but...

b4 the board went down i remember reading a post about how you should never downshift with an auto because it's bad for the tranny

but this weekend when riding on the freeway in my friend's 01 civic lx coupe, i noticed that he would put the shifter all the way into 1st so he could get more "oomph". so i asked him isn't that bad for ur transmission and he said that as long as you don't have ur foot on the gas then it's ok to downshift

my question is...is this true or is he really just screwing up his transmission, because the way i see it i "think" it's ok because the limit for 1st gear in my alty is like 41 mph and like 70mph for 2nd...so if i'm cruising at 35mph wouldn't it be ok to shift it down to 1st since it's within the gears limit???

also is it better to do 1,2,D or just leave it in D and floor it?
i remember some people saying to floor it and others saying to do the 1,2,D technique. cuz i notice when i floor it the shifts at like 4.5rpm, but when i do the 1,2,D i can ride each gear to about 6rpm...also is this bad for my transmission as well?

and one last question i've noticed that when riding with my friend's that when they want to speed up, they push down hard on the gas and you get "pushed back into your seat" feeling...but when i try it i just get a gradual increase in speed...what do i need to do to mimic this "feeling" in my car???

well that's it (for now:p )...thnx for da help

·
PrOuD To Be HaWaIiAn
3,416 Posts
I've been wondering about this downshifting thing because i do it sometimes to. As for gettting pushed back i think that is the car because my friends ls integra has that same feeling. I believe MSD inginition as the torque. I don't know if that shifting is bad or not.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Let's put it this way....

If Nissan wanted you to shift an auto like a stick, then they would have given you Tiptronic or Sportshift like on the Audi's and Acura's. I think you're damaging your torque converter when shifting the gears yourself on an auto.

Read these Edmunds resources on autos and manuals

Automatic
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techcenter/articles/43836/article.html

Manual
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techcenter/articles/46029/article.html

Heel and Toe Downshifting
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/howto/articles/45792/article.html

·
:-)
2,049 Posts
When you floor it on an Auto ( most autos ) it automatically goes into overdrive ( downshifts one gear :) ), there might be a little button on ur shifter ( can't remember an Auto alty ) if you push it it should down shift and jerk you forward. Starting from the start ur auto will start in first then goto 2,3,4. doing the 1,2,D doesn't make much of a difference. The 1, 2 are there for getting up big hills nad snow.
Also with manual when downshifting we can get our RPMs about the same speed as the wheels are, you cannot. When you down shift your wheels are going faster than the motor and it can put a lot of strain on your engine.
hoped that helped :)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
b4 the board went down i remember reading a post about how you should never downshift with an auto because it's bad for the tranny

but this weekend when riding on the freeway in my friend's 01 civic lx coupe, i noticed that he would put the shifter all the way into 1st so he could get more "oomph". so i asked him isn't that bad for ur transmission and he said that as long as you don't have ur foot on the gas then it's ok to downshift

my question is...is this true or is he really just screwing up his transmission, because the way i see it i "think" it's ok because the limit for 1st gear in my alty is like 41 mph and like 70mph for 2nd...so if i'm cruising at 35mph wouldn't it be ok to shift it down to 1st since it's within the gears limit???

When downshifting like that, the heavy torque you're putting on the drivetrain when it forces the engine to suddenly rev 2 or 3 thousand rpm's higher is not good.

also is it better to do 1,2,D or just leave it in D and floor it?
i remember some people saying to floor it and others saying to do the 1,2,D technique. cuz i notice when i floor it the shifts at like 4.5rpm, but when i do the 1,2,D i can ride each gear to about 6rpm...also is this bad for my transmission as well?

If your engine and transmission are working properly, flooring it should make the shift points at the optimum points in the powerband. I think something's not right with your transmission if it upshifts at 4.500 rpm because peak horsepower is around 5600 rpm.

Sometimes, I will upshift manually when I'm not floored, because the transmission will upshift early, mainly to improve fuel economy. I hold it in gear until 5500 rpm or so and then shift. Is it bad to do? Maybe. There's slightly less wear on the engine and transmission, but what the hell, it breaks the monotony of an automatic tranny.

and one last question i've noticed that when riding with my friend's that when they want to speed up, they push down hard on the gas and you get "pushed back into your seat" feeling...but when i try it i just get a gradual increase in speed...what do i need to do to mimic this "feeling" in my car???

That "pushed back into your seat feeling" is the fact that flooring it will downshift the transmission (kickdown) and increase acceleration. It doesn't sound like your tranny is doing that.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Thom said:
When you floor it on an Auto ( most autos ) it automatically goes into overdrive ( downshifts one gear :)
I don't think you mean that it downsshifts into overdrive since overdrive is 4th gear and there are 4 gears in an auto.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I always do that too, and it does give you more ooomph, but it is bad for the tranny? I heard that it doesnt do anything bad

·
Title beneath my name
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thnx

thnx for the help guys...just wanted to make sure, i don't wanna fuk up my car.

damn i wish i had a manual transmission, well actually sportmatic transmission cuz traffic sux balls in la:p

i'll tell my friend that too so he doesn't fuk up his car too, but it is a civic, so should i???? (buah ha ha ha ha):D

·
:-)
2,049 Posts
kenshi, ya i know
overdirve is anything with <1:1 ratio

·
U13 Drifter
1,136 Posts
hey, get an underdrive pulley, it makes the auto much more enjoyable when i was able to redline in less than 2 seconds to impress my friends

·
Registered
86 Posts
i wouldn't downshift it that often...only at low speeds if you feel like it. i had a mkIII supra with an auto and i would definately downshift it when decending or ascending a hill or any time i wanted that extra punch. when you turn the o/d off it will start the car in 1st gear instead of second. i would also manually shift it (up) especially when i wanted to hold a gear a round a turn.
the supra had a section in the manual about downshifting...i'm not sure if there is something in the alty's.

obviously don't do anything that you think will strain the transmission or over-rev the engine.

·
Traded in Alti!!!
406 Posts
I redline everytime I floor it, I get the most power qhen i don't slam on the gas but give it a good steady pressure and keep it coming, and U can actually feel it in the peddle, and I hit 7500 and 8 alot too, I'm scared I'm gonna vlow it? People always say how their cars shift at like 4500 and even some say cant redline ever, why is that I can anytime i want, oh ya, and that "get thrown back feel"??? I can get that 9 outa 10 times, just that one time i 10 I'll hit it and It will just increase speed rapdly most thow you back and seems like front of car [email protected]!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
i'm gonna help everyone out here. I also use to downshift too. I'm picking up my alitma tomorrow from the dealer. I live in north jersey. i brought to the nissan dealer in hackensack, for a repair. They seem pretty nice and i know them pretty well there. Anyways i'll ask them about this and let you guys know.:cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
ok, i get that same feeling, 9 out of 10 times, and it really does feel like the front is raising up. and as for redlining it,m my car will never do it, i dont really want to test it though. and my car shifts, when even pressure is pressed at i think it is 6, right before the redline. however, in my moms alty, the second gen, i left it in first and floored it and forget it was in 1st(cause im a dumbass) and it redlined and made a bad sounding noise. haha we traded that in so i dont care.

·
Title beneath my name
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
question

ok, my friend brought up a good point...1st and 2nd are meant for going up and down hills and improves engine braking. so when i'm approaching a hill am i supposed to stop and then shift or can't i just downshift and go up the hill. So he said you usually just shift and go up the hill because you don't want to stop the flow of traffic. So then that means you can downshift at will as long as you take your foot of the gas and your within the gear's limit (ex. not shifting into first if your going 80mph) then you'll be fine. i see no flaw in this plan, cuz he did bring up a good point with the whole hill example. so is this true or am i supposed to stop and then shift when going up the hill. i mean i don't plan on downshifting too often, i just want to know if i can and to warn my friend too if it's bad.

thnx again!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
The point is to not downshift to achieve heavy engine braking with high rpm jumps. That doesn’t happen going up a hill. The only time you might want to downshift going downhill is if it's long and steep. That will save some brakes.

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts
For reference, I have a 1999 GXE Auto.

I tested the "Automatic Shifts just as well has humans" theory at the autocross event a few months ago. I can say with full confidence that it's completely untrue, and shifting the automatic like a manual DOES improve lap times, and is not gay. I'm just making the best of what I have to work with.

All you people that row your own gears will probably be bored with this following paragraph.

I tried a few runs, with the shifter in the "2" position, and a few runs while manually shifting between 1st and 2nd. The runs where I shifted manually consistently produced better lap times, and of course imparted more control over the power delivery. I even bounced off the rev-limiter a little bit. Shifting it manually allows you to hold the gear just a little bit longer than the Automatic does. Even if you floor it, my Auto shifts at about 6000 RPM (about 250 rpm short of redline). If I shift manually, I can shift at 6250 rpm, and even bounce off the rev-limiter if I want. Nissan has been nice enough to put in a hard rev limiter, that you can hit over and over in rapid succession. This is much better than the soft-limiters that make you lose about 500-750 rpm and you basically don't have power for about 1/2 - 1 second. If you want to have an idea of what it sounds like, just rev your engine in neutral until you hit the limiter.

Shifting at 6250... Granted that it is beyond the power peak, but once you shift, the pickup rpm of the next gear is at a point on the hp/torque curve that is below the redline hp/torque figure. Also, shifting at the redline allows the pickup RPM of the next gear to be higher. So it IS more efficient (in terms of power production) to shift at the redline.

Note for all of you that think that I hurt my transmission/engine doing this, the ECU won't let you shift into 1st if you're going at a speed that would be the equivalent of an RPM beyond the redline. The Automatic will not let you hurt it. It's programmed so that there is no possible way to hurt it unless you rev the RPM really high in neutral and then shift into a "drive" gear. The hydraulic coupling takes care of all the discrepancies between engine RPM and transmission RPM, and so what if your pickup RPM isn't matched exactly? You'll just froth up the transmission fluid a little more than usual. :D

I am willing to bet that besides those of you that drag-race your cars every weekend or AutoX more often than I do (I might work my engine/transmission harder than even these people), I probably put more strain on my car than any of you... and definitely more than the daily-driver types... I am happy to report that my engine/transmission is doing great! No problems!... I can't say the same for my suspension though... The rear-suspension toe-control arm decided to bend on a freeway onramp (Ry saw my bent control-arm at Nissan :D), at which point I took an unplanned trip through the shrubbery by the freeway and dented my oil-pan... but just to prove my point, how many of you have driven hard enough to bend control arms? :D I wish they made alloy suspension control arms for Altimas... :D

The End.
~Peter

1 - 20 of 25 Posts