The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started collecting some simple, basic, and usefull dragracing tips and will post them on my website.... it's worth reading it at least once.

http://enforceraltima.com/DRT.html

If you have any comments, please let me know. :)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Nice compilation of information :) Haven't read the bottom tips, but some of the tips from zzperformance I don't reallly understand what the difference would be.

- Move your passenger seat all the way forward and lock it into position.
- Remove floor mats (so your foot has less chance of slipping?)
- Remove your driver side headlight (so air can get to intake better?)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
"Since this is for beginners, I will assume you are on street tires. DO NOT drive through the water box! Your treaded tires will just pick up water in the treads, and when you do your burnout, it will sling water all over inside the wheel well. You will then track the water all the way to the tree, and water will be dripping down onto your rear tires, making them very slick! If you do this, you make the track dangerous for everyone, and you may be asked to leave if you do it again. The water is for slicks, not treaded tires. Drive around the water box, and then get your car centered in the lane. Back up slightly if needed. There will be a track official to guide you. For street tires, a long burnout is not necessary. Street compounds are hard, and high performance tires are specifically designed to not heat up. Clean off your tires and warm them up with a quick, short burnout. "

This is one of the best tips...A lot of people don't realize that. Unfortunately the track I go to...You HAVE to drive through the water box..

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad that I'm getting these feedback. because some those tips I'm not sure about. so let put our heads together and cleanup these tips or add more to it (a section called TIPS FROM ALTIMAS.NET MEMBERS)

so lets discuss the ones we think are stupid :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
altimit said:
Very informative ENFORCER!

What's up with the removal of the driver side headlight?
I think Dave is correct. it's for the better air flow to the intake, but how do they assume that the intake is on the driver side? :p

·
shift_2 the altimit1
1,217 Posts
I believe most of them are. I was just looking at an Import Tuner or Super Street last night and there was a civic and i remember his was on the driver's side.

I wonder if there's somewhere i can find out that info???

·
Registered
899 Posts
"Since this is for beginners, I will assume you are on street tires. DO NOT drive through the water box! Your treaded tires will just pick up water in the treads, and when you do your burnout, it will sling water all over inside the wheel well. You will then track the water all the way to the tree, and water will be dripping down onto your rear tires, making them very slick! If you do this, you make the track dangerous for everyone, and you may be asked to leave if you do it again. The water is for slicks, not treaded tires. Drive around the water box, and then get your car centered in the lane. Back up slightly if needed. There will be a track official to guide you. For street tires, a long burnout is not necessary. Street compounds are hard, and high performance tires are specifically designed to not heat up. Clean off your tires and warm them up with a quick, short burnout. "

This is one of the best tips...A lot of people don't realize that. Unfortunately the track I go to...You HAVE to drive through the water box..
Everybody needs to pay attention to Dave's tip here. I HATE following someone who drives through the water and brings water up to the tree. Even with slicks (on the LS1) I drive around the water, then back the rear wheels into it for a quick "blip" of the tires, then start the smoke after the car is out of the water.

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
DP03 said:
Everybody needs to pay attention to Dave's tip here. I HATE following someone who drives through the water and brings water up to the tree. Even with slicks (on the LS1) I drive around the water, then back the rear wheels into it for a quick "blip" of the tires, then start the smoke after the car is out of the water.

This is the crappy but funny. We were at the strip and a bunch of ricer kids were there dippin their front wheels cuz they had slicks, but they backed in. So this means all the water was on the back tires. They made it so wet all the V8 American guys were cussing them out.

This pisses everyone off big time, you lose a lot of time with that added water where you are launching.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
JBL85 said:
This is the crappy but funny. We were at the strip and a bunch of ricer kids were there dippin their front wheels cuz they had slicks, but they backed in. So this means all the water was on the back tires. They made it so wet all the V8 American guys were cussing them out.

This pisses everyone off big time, you lose a lot of time with that added water where you are launching.
LMAO, rice at it's true nature! You think if you took the effort to buy and put on slicks, you would at least know that!

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
I am guessing starting in 2nd is for the Auto's???? And Hondas and eclipse's have the filter on the Pass. side ...

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
dont be a dick in the staging area... stage the 1st yellow, wait for your competetor to stage too... then gently roll into the 2nd yellow, then wait for your competetor to follow suit. I get soo pissed off when rude people stage two lights in one roll, the track officials wait for both the trees to set and then light it up. but if some asshole stages two lights, I dont have time to torque break at all.

another is run your heat ALL the time, not just 80%, but 100%... you'd be surprised how much heat will build up after your first run down the track. if it's in the summer, roll down all the windows and stand out of the car if it's too hot. the A/C will rob your car of power and zap the shit outta your alternator.

the radio is also a good one... most tracks (including my hillbilly local track) have music already playing for spectators if you really need to have somethig to pump you up.

dont just do 3-4 open runs do as many as you can, the cooler it gets, the better your car will run and the better track conditions will be.

dot be afraid to talk to people, I find out a lot about track conditions, the starter official, and competetors just by talking to a few while Im waiting in line. these people may seem distant, but once you start talking to them, you'll find out just about anything.

race better car than you if you can. I know it sucks to get beat, but believe you me, the first time I was at the track, I open raced a Hayabusa pulling low 9's all day, Im talking the first person trapping 170+ mph on the track. you'll get better a lot faster racing against cars that are faster than you will beating up on that elantra that you "think" is stock.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Here's another tip for newcomers. If you want the perfect .500 light, don't wait for the green light. You need to anticipate the green and actually hit it on the last yellow.

Also, for those that haven't run Pro-tree, it's a real blast. I actually prefer that format. All the lights at once (.400 is perfect, not .500).

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DP03 said:
Here's another tip for newcomers. If you want the perfect .500 light, don't wait for the green light. You need to anticipate the green and actually hit it on the last yellow.
That's a real good one.... They were saying that on "RPM TONIGHT" tv show.

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
lol that reminds me of the impala ss guy I raced heads up in the hot teams racing. He said, "I'm just going to go on the green" I said good plan, i'm leaving on the third yellow :) result was he had over 1 second worse reaction time and thus causing me to win the race :)

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
altimit said:
It's just like puting a GT-R sticker on your car, 5 HP to the wheels!!!
Actually if your mat stretches all the way down the floor it might get down under the gas and slow you down. I know mine fits nice and snug under there if I don't pull it back every week or so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts