The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 Altima manual trans.
Does anyone know how to fool sensors to obtain more driveability and fuel economy. Can the timing be adjusted to do this? Any comments or suggestions how to achieve the above.
DIY

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
If it were possible, Nissan probably would've done it. Are you under the impression you'r egetting worse mileage than the car should, or do you want to do better than the factory?
At least 30PSI in the tires, driving style adjustments, making sure it's tuned perfectly.
Jacobs electronics make fairly big claims about their mileage master ignition, but I dunno if anyone on here has solid evidence it worked for them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My mileage and driveability are according to factory, I am looking for more. Where can I look? Modifying emission controls is not a problem?

·
Registered
86 Posts
i removed the second resonator box. it is between the air box and the throttle body. remove a few bolts and loosen the clamp, pull out the box and plug the hole with a 1/2 inch pvc pipe cap. this improved gas mileage considerably and the power delivery is much smoother (as is the idle).

my ride is a 94 SE with a 5speed. i got 25.84 mpg on my last tank in the city. i have a k&n and a stillen exhaust, that's it. i run 34lbs in town most of the time, sometimes 32.

hope it helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
economy gains

Thanks for the info. I am surprised to learn that the removal of a resonator box will improve gas mileage. As far as I know it only smooths out the flow pressure. This could improve throttle response. Can you explain why this works?
Have you tried to advance the timing from 20 to 22 degrees BTDC? I was also pondering about putting a resistor in line with the anti-knock sensor to permit a little more advance. What kind ?, but as knock increases so does the 12V AC current that it produces. Any comments on all this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
driveability gains

I heard that in some cars if the intake air sensor was moved to a colder area the car would run better. BUT my 94 altima does not have an air sensor. Any ideas? Can timing curve be altered? Can sensors be fooled?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts