The Nissan Club banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
I just bought a new 2014 with high hopes for the zero gravity seats, but I find them to be so uncomfortable. I am sure the seats would be very comfortable if I were in a spaceship, but while driving a car, the seat position is sub-par. There is no support under the butt, and too much support under the thighs. I feel like I am sunk into a bucket, and after a half hour, it starts to bother my back too. I have tried every seat position. Anyone have a solution that works for this problem? Can the dealer adjust the seat angle?
I had the same impression when I first bought the car. I felt that the seat bottom was angled too steeply and I felt like I was sitting on a toilet. Like you mentioned, they made the cushion much firmer under the thigh than in the rear. Most car seats do the opposite because there is far less load at the thighs. I'm surprised you aren't bothered by the headrest. They're positioned a little too far foward.

Anyway, the good news is that you will get used to it but it will take time. After a year and a half of ownership the seat actually does feel comfortable for me, but I do wish the headrest was further back and I'd also like more cushioning in the backrest in the mid-back area. The only seats I've sat in that are comfortable right away are Toyotas and Subarus.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I currently have Kia Optima, but I still browse these forums as prior to the Optima I had a 2008 Altima. Anyway, the Optima has the exact same issue.. the center "butt" part of the seat sinks in way too far, while the side thigh bolsters don't sink at all. This is usually because the center part of the seat is supported by springs, with no fixed metal frame under it, while the side bolsters are just foam pads on top of a metal seat frame that does not give at all.

You can try placing a 1/2" to 1" medium density foam pad in the center of the seat, and this will have the effect of compensating for the sinking of the center part of the seat. You might also be able to place some foam (stack pieces of it) underneath the seat, to provide more support to the center part of the seat, if the spring-supported center part is exposed underneath. These are just some tips that worked for me. I wish they made the bottom of seats flat, with no side bolsters. The side bolsters on the backrest part of the seat would still keep you in place.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Maybe it's not the seat, maybe you guys need to grow some butt.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm a fairly large guy, came from a 2010 Sonata to my current ride. For me, the seats in this are awesome. In the Sonata, I couldn't get comfortable ever and moved around so much that I wore holes in the seat back on either edge. Not so in the Nissan, I love this car! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same impression when I first bought the car. I felt that the seat bottom was angled too steeply and I felt like I was sitting on a toilet. Like you mentioned, they made the cushion much firmer under the thigh than in the rear. Most car seats do the opposite because there is far less load at the thighs. I'm surprised you aren't bothered by the headrest. They're positioned a little too far foward.

Anyway, the good news is that you will get used to it but it will take time. After a year and a half of ownership the seat actually does feel comfortable for me, but I do wish the headrest was further back and I'd also like more cushioning in the backrest in the mid-back area. The only seats I've sat in that are comfortable right away are Toyotas and Subarus.
Yes, agreed on the toilet feeling. Sounds like a cushion is the only answer for now. My headrest is OK. When I test drove a new 2011 a few years back, I didn't buy it because of the headrest. But in my 2014, it is not an issue. I can lean my head back comfortably.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you don't like the Altima seat, you're a big whiner who needs to buy a more expensive car. This is best you will get at this level of car, now get over it.
I disagree. I've been driving fleet cars for 17 years which are arguably the lowest level of any car out there. I've driven several models of the Taurus, Pacifica, Chevy Malibu, impala, fusion, etc. I've never in my life driven a car that has caused numbness and pain in my leg until my Altima 2.5 SV which is arguably nicer than most of the fleet cars that I've driven. I agree with a previous poster - if I'm going into space this is probably a comfortable seat, but for driving it sucks. I even think the angle of the pedal is too steep which adds to the leg pain. I have found no way to get comfortable in the last 8 months I have owned this car.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Pedal angle has nothing to do with the seat. I'm 6'3", 215, and have very long legs. I have no issues with the seat or my sitting position.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have the s model my old altima was a sl with the bottom front ajustment miss that.
My solution was to insert a spacer about 5/8" under the front bottom seat mount were it hits the floor with a longer grade 8 bolt from auto zone. This gives me a more relaxed sitting position. Lumbar and head rest seem ok to me 6'6" tall.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have the s model my old altima was a sl with the bottom front ajustment miss that.
My solution was to insert a spacer about 5/8" under the front bottom seat mount were it hits the floor with a longer grade 8 bolt from auto zone. This gives me a more relaxed sitting position. Lumbar and head rest seem ok to me 6'6" tall.
You're likely outside the anthropometric design criteria.

·
1,728 Posts
Yeah, it seems nothing is going to be comfortable for everyone. For me, it's more comfortable then any car I've ever owned. Obviously some others feel very differently. I'm 6' and my torso is longer then average, legs slightly shorter than the average 6' guy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
6'4 340 lbs. My 2010 S and 2013 SV have both been comfortable. It took some seat moving and micro adjustments but I find the seat to be very comfy.

I do have to take my wallet out but that might be because I am all gut and no ass. LOL

PS, I hate the headrest but have adjusted my seat to where I don't really use it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, it seems nothing is going to be comfortable for everyone. For me, it's more comfortable then any car I've ever owned. Obviously some others feel very differently. I'm 6' and my torso is longer then average, legs slightly shorter than the average 6' guy.
Funny you mention that. At 6'4" I have short legs but sit very tall in cars. This is one of my body features that put me in an Altima in the first place...head room.

·
Registered
531 Posts
6'4 340 lbs. My 2010 S and 2013 SV have both been comfortable. It took some seat moving and micro adjustments but I find the seat to be very comfy.

I do have to take my wallet out but that might be because I am all gut and no ass. LOL

PS, I hate the headrest but have adjusted my seat to where I don't really use it.
I believe you are also outside the anthropometric population design range. The range is probably from 5th female to 95th male percentile population.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the 2013 Altima S. The seat trim is not even on the driver seat. After driving a short distance, the rocking motion causes my body to turn towards the console. My head and neck tries to stay focused, looking forward, so sometimes I have a stiff neck and shoulder pain. I have to constantly readjust my posture. I'm 5' tall and sit fully in the seat. My left arm is squarely inside the back of the seat, and the right hangs off about 1/2". I know that there has to be other individuals that have noticed this flaw in the design.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I have the 2013 Altima S. The seat trim is not even on the driver seat. After driving a short distance, the rocking motion causes my body to turn towards the console. My head and neck tries to stay focused, looking forward, so sometimes I have a stiff neck and shoulder pain. I have to constantly readjust my posture. I'm 5' tall and sit fully in the seat. My left arm is squarely inside the back of the seat, and the right hangs off about 1/2". I know that there has to be other individuals that have noticed this flaw in the design.
I'm trying so hard to understand your complaints but I am having a hard time.

What rocking motion?
''My left arm is squarely inside the back of the seat'' - what does that even mean?
Your 5 feet tall and sit fully in the seat?
Are we even talking about the same car...

·
1,728 Posts
You're right, I have no clue what he is talking about, sounds like those articles written by a computer to get hits on key words! Mumbo Jumbo...

Could be it was written in a foreign language and translated a little off?

61 - 80 of 90 Posts